• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Books, books and more books!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerLadyTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
Garland, TX
I read - a LOT. And though I have e-books galore, I prefer reading a real book. I like the way that they smell and how they feel in my hands. I also like the way the pages sound when they are turned. I don't stick to any one genre, but my preferred genre is probably high fantasy - of the epic type. Having said that, one of my favorite book series is the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I have read it over and over and over again. I love this series! DianaGabaldon.com | The Outlander Series

~Tiger

PatriciafromCO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
Colorado
DH found this.. Wolves and War (planet Wolf 1) Sci Fi, the first book is free on amazon, there is 6 in the series so far good... we reading it together and yaking about it.

The new Kindle Fire HDX has 4G option and it will work with Verizon so it's tempting... my gut tells me to wait and let the smoke clear after the first rounds of sales so the cliches will be worked out.. I think next year I will get one :) :) :)

chapeltown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
United States
I like books from a lot of different Genres. One book that I would emphatically recommend to Everyone is:

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children By Ransom Riggs.

Phenomenal. About a young man who discovers that his Grandfather's crazy stories and creepy pictures of strange children might really be true.

Last edited:

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I like books from a lot of different Genres. One book that I would emphatically recommend to Everyone is:

Mrs. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children By Ransom Riggs.

Phenomenal. About a young man who discovers that his Grandfather's crazy stories and creepy pictures of strange children might really be true.

I just read that and really enjoyed it. The photographs used as illustrations were wonderful- and all were photos the author had collected. Do you know if the next book is out yet? Wasn't it the first one in a series?

Oh, and welcome to the the women's room :)

chapeltown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
United States
I just read that and really enjoyed it. The photographs used as illustrations were wonderful- and all were photos the author had collected. Do you know if the next book is out yet? Wasn't it the first one in a series?

*Looks around, suprised*.....OH!!! I didn't even realize that I had finally made it over to the Women's room! The photos really made the book, didn't they? Amazing. And yes, there is supposed to be a second book. It was supposed to be out in July this year, but has been pushed off to next year some time. grrr.

chapeltown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
United States
No Doubt!
I find that it is easier to "discover" a series after the author is ahead of me by at least 3-5 books.
Case in Point: Fearless series by Francine Pascal. There are 90(?) books in this YA series and I discovered them after all the books had been published. Mind you, I felt ever so slightly silly as a 38 year old woman walking into the "teen" section of the library to get these by the half dozen every week, but I just couldn't quit reading them!

I will dvr hour after hour of tv that I think I might get around to watching and never do....but don't put a book in front of me and expect me not to pick it up and devour it if it is good!

Which reminds me.....I am not really a "self help" genre sort of gal, but I do have a good recommendation....

My Mother's Rules: A practical Guide to Becoming an Emotional Genius by Lynn Toler
Amazon.com: My Mother's Rules: A Practical Guide to Becoming an Emotional Genius eBook: Lynn Toler: Kindle Store

Also, if you have a Kindle and are into books that are anywhere from $2.99 to free, check out bookbub.com <email sign up with preferences to get book deals in your email every day. I can tell you that I have at least 150 books in my kindle archive that I didn't pay a penny for.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
My library has a really good selection of e-books, so i don't have to feel embarrassed when i read my way through a YA series :laugh: They also have a really cool hold list for real books- you can identify the best selling authors that you like, and when a new book by any of the authors comes in, your name is automatically placed in the hold list.

Like you, i can skip most TV shows, but go a little crazy if i don't have time to read. I will definitely check out bookbub - thanks!

chapeltown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
United States

Just Saw the Update on Ransom Rigg's Facebook page, The new book Hollowtown(?) Is slated to be Released January 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread