ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Reactions: Unforeseen

Vapeon4Life

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2020
Nevada, USA
I thought it would be interesting to read a comprehensive, concise history of vaping. I feel there are a lot of interesting stories that are at risk of being lost over time.

I am curious, what types of things do you think belong in a vaping history book? Chapters, stories, interviews from specific people? That sort of thing. And should the book be from an individual author, or a different author per chapter, or a community contribution?
GREAT IDEA! - But don't forget to include one or two chapters on the history of tobacco and the history of the war against tobacco! It goes back to the beginning of early trading with the Indians - I know a whole book on that subject alone could be written - But because this is going to be primarily a history of vaping you would only have to superficially cover tobacco use and the war against it.

Still this is important as the same type of anti-tobacco groups that have been around since the time Europeans first started to use tobacco have now set their ill will upon vaping - A full history of vaping must include an exposee of its enemies.

And don't forget to tell the story of the invention of the first vaping device.
There was an urban myth I heard years ago before I ever heard of vaping that someone had invented a safe cigarette but when he brought it to tobacco companies they won't touch it because they would have to have admitted that the cigarettes they were then selling were unsafe and could cause cancer.
My research on the first vape device brought up a YouTube video that showed the actual supposed inventor who had the patent on it made nothing as by the time interest developed in vaping his patent expired.

Last edited:

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
There have been many threads on here where they discuss "old school" stuff... I really enjoy reading stuff like that. Grimmgreen does videos where he includes a "retro vape" segment (digs out the boxes of old stuff) I think he did like 11 of them all together (it's part of the Thursday VLOG... that's what I'm watching right now)

Aerodan

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2020
AZ
There have been so many iterations and so much creativity put into mods and tanks, flavors and accessories. Just a picture book of early to modern would be great. I've never seen an industry of home brew and corporate designers work like this, and so fast. There's something special about vaping tools that it should end up in museums next to snuff boxes and jewelry.

AD

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
This thread got me thinking. I had the idea of having a vape dedicated, ongoing Comic/Cartoon Strip in a national newspaper. Pretty sure that would eventually cultivate a much better understanding of the vaping world in the minds of the general public.

It's something right !?. Better than a book. Everybody would eventually become aware of it.

Reactions: CAAB

Unforeseen

Admin<br> Commercial/Suppliers Asst. Manager </br>
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Where you least expect it....
Thanks for the link. It is fun reading the old threads. Memories + Chuckles. :D

You're very welcome! Glad you enjoy it and yeah, definitely fun going through old threads. Lots to learn from them too.

Reactions: Oregon Linda

CAAB

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
New York
I had the idea of having a vape dedicated, ongoing Comic/Cartoon Strip in a national newspaper.

You could explore a lot of dark humor related to the legislation around vaping. Like what is defined as a tobacco product, the uneven standards of vaping vs tobacco products, that kind of thing.

CAAB

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
New York
I was originally thinking that it would be interesting to read a concise summary about different subjects. For example, a rundown of vaping hardware from the beginning to date.

Now I am thinking it would be more interesting and perhaps more easy to make a book that is a collection of first-person accounts from prominent voices in the vaping community. The accounts could broadly be divided into sections, such as "Hardware," "Vaping Advocacy," "Health," and "Vaping Culture."

The hardware could be an account or a collection of accounts of people who are consumers who have started from the beginning. They can describe the evolution of hardware from their own personal experience. Including modders who were hardcore DIY. It would be nice to hear from manufacturers who designed hardware and get their views on how consumer demand has changed over time. Could talk about tootle puffers vs cloud chasers.

Advocacy would include voices of people who were/are in the thick of the legislative battles and their personal experiences. Same idea with health.

I think "Vaping Culture" could cover forums like the ECF in addition to places of physical gathering like vaping shops and expos.

That's the general idea anyway. This isn't a comprehensive list by any means, but just my personal thought about what would make an interesting read if anyone wants to write it.

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    The best that I can add are my early experiences with cartridges that held about 1 ml of juice. They were stuffed with a filter such that only allowed a few good vapes, then nothing but dry hits, although that term didn't exist then. I remember the straw mod, which was adding a length of coffee stirrer along the cartridge to allow air to get to the bottom and release more juice from the filter. I remember the the Lipton tea bag mod which used the material from the Lipton Pyramid tea bags, and the blue aquatic filter mod which used material used for fish tank filters. I do not know who first came up with these mods, but I learned of them on ECF. None of these were great improvements, so I, like many people, ditched the cartridge altogether for dripping. At first, we dripped directly into the 510 or 910 atomizers and stovepipe, i.e. vaped directly from the atomizer, then some enterprising person invented the driptip. Before the advent of tanks and clearomizers, driving while dripping was a different beast. Red lights were a welcome thing and it became a skill to hold the steering wheel, the ecig, and drip at the same time.

CAAB

ECF Veteran
    Feb 9, 2019
    New York
    I remember the the Lipton tea bag mod which used the material from the Lipton Pyramid tea bags, and the blue aquatic filter mod which used material used for fish tank filters.

I remember someone mentioning those filters a while back, wondering what might be leaching from those filters.

Reactions: Territoo

CAAB

ECF Veteran
    Feb 9, 2019
    New York
    I remember the straw mod, which was adding a length of coffee stirrer along the cartridge to allow air to get to the bottom and release more juice from the filter. I remember the the Lipton tea bag mod which used the material from the Lipton Pyramid tea bags

Sounds like someone was sitting down at breakfast and trying to find out what they could use in front of them to make a better morning vape.

Reactions: Territoo
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread