Buying a New Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehmidcap

Verified Member
Mar 13, 2015
PA
What would be the best charger to go with (coming from using a Nitecore I2)?

My number one complaint with the I2 is that it gets a little hotter than I feel it should at random times (usually when charging two batteries or when I'm charging multiple sets/batteries in a row), and it's also a bit slow.

I primarily need it for chaging 18650s, but occasionally 26650 batteries and AA/AAAs.

I was thinking it would be nice to get a 4-port charger as there's definitely times when I need more than two ports. I was really liking the Xtar VC4 but then I realized that when using all four ports it only charges at .5A (due to USB limitations) -- so really, wouldn't just charging the first set at 1 amp then the second set at 1 amp take roughly the same time as charging all four at .5A?

So I guess a good 2 port charger would be fine if it can charge them a bit more quickly.

How's the Efest LUCv4 ? Have all the issues since first released been worked out by now, and is it capable of charging 4 batteries at 1A (If so does it do so without getting hot and does it have any kind of temperature sensing)?

But safety and longevity of the batteries is more important than charge speed in the end, so perhaps the Nitecore D2/D4 would be a fine solution.

Thoughts/Recommendations?

Cowboy192

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2014
Cardiff, uk
cargocollective.com
The efest luc is a damn good charger, I have one and it was on to charge my batteries every night never had a problem, charged my Samsung 25r's pretty quickly,

I now use the nitecore d4 (bought it because I have a lot of rechargeable eneloop aa's and aaa's for my flash and remote camera triggers) it's also a nice bit of get and it figures out the best way to charge what ever you put in it,

May sound daft but using the d4 I seem to get more life from my batteries between charges too,

Both are really good but I'd go for the d4 over the luc, it just seems that little bit better built and user friendly to me

tehmidcap

Verified Member
Mar 13, 2015
PA
Actually, charging at .5amps is better for your batteries.

I know, I think it would be nice to have the option though.

Besides, most of the batteries I use are rated for a "standard" charge of 1A-1.2A, so I can't see it making a very noticeable difference (otherwise why wouldn't they just be rated for a .5A charge?)

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
Just my personal experience with the D2.. Mine worked great for the first couple months I had it, and then decided it wasnt going to fully charge my batteries anymore. It stops exactly at 4.07 every time now (yep verified with my handy multimeter). Luckily I had my 'cheapo' Xtar MC2 to fall back on which is still working perfectly to this day. Ill be getting the VC4 one of these days. .5A isnt too bad, takes about 4-5 hours to fully charge an 18650. You could always do what I do. My MC2 is a 2 bay and Im currently using 2 pairs of batteries. I charge one set, and when Im on the second battery, I charge the other set back up, so that would make the 1A charging easy for me. I dont need to have 4 charged batteries on hand since I only use one of my mods nowadays anyways. Was originally going to get the VP2, but when the VC4 came out and added the ability to charge my AA's I use for my mouse and Wiimotes, it won me over. Thats the only thing I use my D2 for nowadays, but I still dont trust it. After mine stopped working properly I found a bunch of others with similar complaints about the Nitecores.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
I've had my Nitecore D2 for about 6 months and it's been working great. I just got an eFest Luc v4 and it seems to be the latest. The voltage reading goes to hundredths now. That was my only concern when ordering this but it was a pleasant surprise.

I also received a few Samsung 25r's that's charging right now.

DSC_2629_zps6hqxcxin.jpg

BackDoc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2010
Galts Gulch
Just ordered a VC4 XTAR, BUT have been running 3 nitecores for going on 3 years ( I2s and I4s) without as much as a hiccup ..............I don't make too much of it ,put the batteries in,lights stop blinking, battery is charged...........have gone through over a thousand dollars (give or take) in Mods and toppers/coils(that crapped out) and wish they were as steadfast as these chargers.......my take guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread