Not open for further replies.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
This is what I posted today in the Buzz area, a user was asking what safety specs to look for:

"Unfortunately there really isn't any kind of pv-level standard, it is all ad-hoc, up to the individual.

The things that rolygate has been posting at the top level of ecf, recommendations to be careful on batteries, look for things that talk about having current and/or temperature cutouts at the pv level, look for venting, are ecf's own attempts to start coming up with things to look for. I certainly don't agree with everything posted, and I really believe that ignoring single big battery units is sticking one's head in the sand (the very recent report of an 18650 battery entering a thermal runaway, though an alert user tossed it before anything bad happened, sounds real to me), but I also believe they are at least trying to come up with something, given nobody else has.

A single large 18650 has twice the total energy of anything in a notcigs pv, and the total energy is a major part of the potential for harm.

I actually am an engineer, can afford to buy whatever I want, and I honestly believe the current notcigs products are the best stuff out now. The new bp ii and lightning are the first pv to incorporate the new ecf-directed super slots, but I am entirely content with my existing bp, and original infinity (i did retrofit the infinity with the ipro delrin end cap, months ago). The big slots on the notcigs products buy even more safety margin, but the base product already has multiple safety features, is well thought out.

(Truthfully, if it was me I wouldn't have asked for the super slots, there are several viable approaches, including the delrin blowout plug, as long as the tube can accommodate rational battery swelling - notcigs pv do have oversized tubes.)

Sorry for the long-winded response, but it is a good quetion. A friend, justifiably spooked by recent things, asked for a good option for his wife. A notcigs PV was an easy, appropriate, answer :)

Update: I'm not certain, but notcigs may not be able to respond to you here. Vendors can't post in many areas (understandably). You can always post things where you want them to respond in the notcigs area of ecf suppliers. Buzzkill is pretty open about things, it is an forum."

The poster had run across one of the bogus pr stories, this one had mumbo jumbo assertions about how their products were safety tested. The big Chinese eliquid manufacturers have sgs do a chemical test to make sure things aren't totally whacked, and the battery makers have to comply with RoHS and the UN38 standard that allows batteries to be shipped by air; of course these things mean nada relative to pv-level safety, but they sound good :)

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
Bov does blunt? I've seen nothing from her but prettified floral-print overalls—with twin daggers held behind her back.

I taught her well huh?:laugh::laugh::laugh: ince they have changed this place and made it slower I'm afraid to even go looking for that thread. It would probably take 15 min to find it and then get there.

Last edited:

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
LMAO PI and 5C! I guess yall know I wouldn't do well in a customer service job. Fortunately Mark goes along and makes it sound much better :)

5C, I took Mark's suggestions for using adblock with firefox and put the kabosh on all the facebook and twitter crap all over this forum and I'm running much faster here now.

BuzzKill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Central Coast Ca.
www.notcigs.com
Mark thanks for the technical support , Roly said that the ECF post has NOTHING to do with what has happened to us , this is 100% BS , he has his view or the ECF view and they plan on taking it to the grave with them so it is what it is .

I will offer ECF a $5,000 bet that they cannot blow up a Buzz Pro or Ipro ( explode with out gassing IF it happens ) with out using water or crushing it, if they can I will pay them $5k !

If they cannot then have to post the results and offer a retraction of the blanket statement about 2 cell mods and DEFINE IT ! as the FACTS dictate not what they THINK. AND pay me $5k , any takers ????

Roly did not even KNOW we had full protection built into our devices ???????????????

Last edited:

The Red Wolf

Mar 4, 2012
NW USA
When selecting a product, of any kind, I tend to be thorough with my research. I wouldn't have purchased not one but two BPs from Mike if I didn't think they were a safe, quality product.

The Utah thing torques me off on a number of levels but the potential loss of one of the best suppliers out there is just a shame. Mike, you put out a quality product you should be and are proud of. I hope you never feel the need to abandon your efforts over the small mindedness and simple idiocy of a few, even if they do have a voice. I'm sure I mirror the sentiments of everyone by saying you have our support.

- Xeno

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
Mike I can't view it either :(

So they have blocked all supplier from that area. I guess they figure it removes the temptation for suppliers to post there :( I never saw the need for that section anyway since we have the suppliers sub forums.

It's turned into exactly what I expected...a place for people to argue who's vv johnson is biggest :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread