Can't find the right build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebulaskin

Dec 6, 2016
I almost got used on building my own coils, i understood the basics and some more advanced tips, but i still can't find a build to suit my needs! I only use mech mods for daily vaping and chilling in the evening so i can't simply adjust the wattage.

Im always building coils with insanely long ramp-up time or with too low resistence. I can't find the right spot in between.

Im using mainly kanthal a1 26ga, but i also tried with ss316L 26ga only in dual coil configurations. I don't actually own a single coil dripper.
Everytime i also get a very very hot vape and a lot amount of vape.
I don't understand why..

Can someone give me some tips for a better build? I can even buy other wire but i don't want to waste money on the wrong gauge or material. Also a tutorial on tips about coil building would help, for example a tutorial which can explain something about ramp-up time, hot/cold vape, and so on..

Thanks a lot in advance!

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
In addition to Eskie's questions, what rda's are you using, and how do you want your vape to be?

My sweetspot with a single 18650 mech is between 0.7 and 1.0 ohms, single coil, 2mm ID contact coil, 26g in a small chamber RDA(derringer) with 2.5/3 air holes open. It's a great warm, not hot, medium cloud, flavorful build that does great with my 6-12mg nic liquids.

nebulaskin

Dec 6, 2016
What resistance are your builds coming in at? Are these simple round coils or some sort of Clapton/Clapton variant? Do you use something like Steam Engine to help your calculate your builds before you start coiling? More info would be helpful.

For a daily and safe vape i would love to stay between 0.4 and 0.6 but everytime i come across this problem:

- random coil building try result 1 (dual coil config): 0.20 ohm, too low resistence for me, fast ramp up (simple 26ga wire)

- random coil building try result 2 (dual coil config): 0.5 ohm, perfect resistence, long ramp up (simple 26ga wire).

I tried with different ID, from 2 to 3.5mm but everytime, there's some sort of a problem, ramp-up, low resistence, hot vape.
Before going in to claptons, alien, and so on, i would like to find the perfect coil with a normal single wire.

As a dripper i have the comp lyfe 3posts and the limitless atty rda (3 post)

Hope i have been clear enough. Sorry but im not so good with english ^^'

e/
also thanks for Lessifer's reply.
Im not in to cloud chasing. I just like a medium cloud, flavour and soft hit with a 70vg liquid (3-6mg nic).

For the drippers i use, i already wrote above, but im looking for a decent mtl dripper (if it even exist). A mtl dripper would be more stealth-y when going out.
Also, how does the chamber size affect the vape and the coil build?

Thanks a lot for the replies :)

nebulaskin

Dec 6, 2016
Also, something like that should work? (at least, steamengine says that the ramp-up is fast and the resistence should be fine).

Untitdddled-1.jpg

I don't understand the leg lenght value, but shouldn't change too much.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
long ramp up time is usually due to too much wire for your power source.

I think you should consider trying a simple single coil, it would resolve many of your issues. However, it doesn't look like either of your atomizers is designed to provide airflow to a single coil. You can always tape off the airflow on one side.

Reactions: Eskie

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Also, something like that should work? (at least, steamengine says that the ramp-up is fast and the resistence should be fine).

View attachment 635561

That should work, ramp up will be fast with the 32g, it might be on the hot side though.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
My go-to build in my mechs is 24 AWG Kanthal A1, dual coil, 2.5 mm, 7 wrap, contact coils. Comes in around .26 Ohms. I use LG HB2/4 30 Amp batteries. My RDAs are typically smaller... Stumpy, Bambino, Derringer, but I've run similar builds in larger atties... with the air closed down a bit, it's still a good vape.

With 26 AWG, I would keep all the same parameters and drop 1 wrap. The resulting resistance would be between .35 and .40...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

View attachment 635561

The leg length is something I don't pay a lot of attention to. As Lessifer points out that 32G SS wire will certainly ramp up fast but be quite hot. What wire do you have? Do you only build with SS, or with Kanthal as well (I love SS, but it's all just personal preference, they all can work)?

I'm surprised a 0.5 ohm dual build with simple 26G wire would have a terribly long ramp up time. If you made an 8 wrap dual 26G Kanthal 2.5 ID, it would come in at ~0.5 ohm, on your mech would draw ~27W, giving you a heat flux of 120, which should be warm but certainly not too hot.

Shawn's 6 wrap, 0.4 ohm build would have a heat flux of 188 at 34W, a bit more toasty. You should be able to achieve virtually the same with 28G SS 316L instead of 26G Kanthal.

Reactions: Shawn Hoefer

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
The leg length is something I don't pay a lot of attention to. As Lessifer points out that 32G SS wire will certainly ramp up fast but be quite hot. What wire do you have? Do you only build with SS, or with Kanthal as well (I love SS, but it's all just personal preference, they all can work)?

I'm surprised a 0.5 ohm dual build with simple 26G wire would have a terribly long ramp up time. If you made an 8 wrap dual 26G Kanthal 2.5 ID, it would come in at ~0.5 ohm, on your mech would draw ~27W, giving you a heat flux of 120, which should be warm but certainly not too hot.

Shawn's 6 wrap, 0.4 ohm build would have a heat flux of 188 at 34W, a bit more toasty. You should be able to achieve virtually the same with 28G SS 316L instead of 26G Kanthal.

Yup... I typically shoot for a heat flux of around 250...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Alexandria, Louisiana USA
I almost got used on building my own coils, i understood the basics and some more advanced tips, but i still can't find a build to suit my needs! I only use mech mods for daily vaping and chilling in the evening so i can't simply adjust the wattage.

Im always building coils with insanely long ramp-up time or with too low resistence. I can't find the right spot in between.

Im using mainly kanthal a1 26ga, but i also tried with ss316L 26ga only in dual coil configurations. I don't actually own a single coil dripper.
Everytime i also get a very very hot vape and a lot amount of vape.
I don't understand why..

Can someone give me some tips for a better build? I can even buy other wire but i don't want to waste money on the wrong gauge or material. Also a tutorial on tips about coil building would help, for example a tutorial which can explain something about ramp-up time, hot/cold vape, and so on..

Thanks a lot in advance!
1b58a682c67ea0c8a0e3d81955868631.jpg
This is a simple dual parallel 26g kanthel build that I use on my BFM mech..
It's 7 wraps on a 3mm bit and being parallel it covers alot of cotton with a fast ramp up at
0.21 ohms...
4ea6b98eaed16d3c72dd12ef2ec2db0a.jpg

That same build in my Dark Horse RDA blows decent clouds on the BFM as seen here having a little fun fogging up my room under the blacklight, lol
Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nebulaskin

Dec 6, 2016
So thanks a lot for all the replies.. I guess that im going to try again; but you guys are going way too down with the ohms for my taste, especially for a daily vape (8 hours straight without a battery switch).

Im planning on buying some kanthal a1 28ga and try 8 wraps with a 2.5 ID.
I just hope that a little thinner wire should fix the problem..

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
So thanks a lot for all the replies.. I guess that im going to try again; but you guys are going way too down with the ohms for my taste, especially for a daily vape (8 hours straight without a battery switch).

So a 1.5 ohm coil. On a 3.7V mech, ~9W. Heat Flux 100-110. It's going to be a cool vape.

On a regulated mod, this wouldn't be an issue. You'd simply increase your wattage to maybe 17W for a heat flux of 200. This is the problem with a mech, you're bound by the single value. How about a 6 wrap 2.5 ID 28G Kanthal? Should be about 1.2 ohm, draw ~11W, and have a heat flux of 170-180.

Reactions: Shawn Hoefer

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014

872a2b2d77784014cbfa31cba7f3d446.jpg
Was wondering if you ever thought about running a subtank on your mech?
This is my XXIX 18650 mech running the original Atlantis tank with the 0.5 ohm coil..not too hot, batt lasts a easy 8 hrs and its a great vape..just a thought. :)

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
It is difficult to get the right vape off a Mechanical Mod. Regulated you can up or down the power where mechanical you have to be dead on with build. Perhaps double up some 28 Gauge Kanthal and Clapton it. I like to clapton with Ribbon wire. I am getting a nice jug of discarded used coils and have eleven different coils all built awaiting their turn in mod. Got some builds in friends mods as well, I build 2 or 4 coils the same and get friends opinions on them as well. My friends bought the Ammit just to test my single coils for me now. LOL

nebulaskin

Dec 6, 2016
It is difficult to get the right vape off a Mechanical Mod. Regulated you can up or down the power where mechanical you have to be dead on with build. Perhaps double up some 28 Gauge Kanthal and Clapton it. I like to clapton with Ribbon wire. I am getting a nice jug of discarded used coils and have eleven different coils all built awaiting their turn in mod. Got some builds in friends mods as well, I build 2 or 4 coils the same and get friends opinions on them as well. My friends bought the Ammit just to test my single coils for me now. LOL

Me too.. I'm looking forward for my Ammit to be delivered. Also I'm planning on buying a goon, so I can put some single coil configurations in it! Building with single coil is easier imo..

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
872a2b2d77784014cbfa31cba7f3d446.jpg
Was wondering if you ever thought about running a subtank on your mech?
This is my XXIX 18650 mech running the original Atlantis tank with the 0.5 ohm coil..not too hot, batt lasts a easy 8 hrs and its a great vape..just a thought. :)

I wouldn't recommend using any clearos with prebuilt coil heads (subohm tanks included) on mech mods. The positive and negative are usually separated by a thin rubber gromit and if that tears or is burnt through you'll have a hard short, possibly making the battery go into thermal runaway.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
I wouldn't recommend using any clearos with prebuilt coil heads (subohm tanks included) on mech mods. The positive and negative are usually separated by a thin rubber gromit and if that tears or is burnt through you'll have a hard short, possibly making the battery go into thermal runaway.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk
That pic was taken over 2 years ago fully aware of the + and - wires separated by that little white insulator..no worries... More concern was the hybrid top cap used on the XXIX mech...
f1373b2348794ee9428674b48a2bdc8b.jpg
This pic shows the modification made to make the pin protrude about 2 mm....
These days I use safer, higher powered VW mods for tanks..
Use the mech with a RDA for testing new flavors mostly.. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread