Problem with simple dual coil build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
So I never did a dual coil build before. I guess I felt I should master single coils before messing with duals. So yesterday I finally did my first dual in my Troll, 7 wraps 26ga for a build that reads 0.35 ohms.

With a single coil 0.5 ohm build and airflow closed on one side in the Troll I can max out my DNA40 at 40w and comfortably hit it til I run out of breath. With this dual coil build it seems hot and I just can't hit it like I hit the single coil. Steam Engine says the single has a heat flux of 88 and the dual a heat flux of 32, both low but very low for the dual.

So why does the dual give me a rougher vape? It isn't an airflow issue, the resistance reading is rock solid and doesn't jump around, my coils heat perfectly evenly inside out and at the same time on both sides, I have a ton of airflow. Any ideas why this build isn't vaping well?

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
The fact that you have NEVER done a dual coil in the atty in affect means you have NEVER wicked that atty. DO NOT assume that what you did BEFORE should work or even apply to what you do NOW.

My first quess is a wicking issue. Also remember your Daul coil is heating more juice at one time, granted with less heat.. But with the increased surface area more juice gets exposed to the heat. heat fluxes down into the teens will produce vapor and burn juice, if allowed to. Could also just be you have a hot spot or hot leg.

Reactions: jdrewry

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
So I never did a dual coil build before. I guess I felt I should master single coils before messing with duals. So yesterday I finally did my first dual in my Troll, 7 wraps 26ga for a build that reads 0.35 ohms.

With a single coil 0.5 ohm build and airflow closed on one side in the Troll I can max out my DNA40 at 40w and comfortably hit it til I run out of breath. With this dual coil build it seems hot and I just can't hit it like I hit the single coil. Steam Engine says the single has a heat flux of 88 and the dual a heat flux of 32, both low but very low for the dual.

So why does the dual give me a rougher vape? It isn't an airflow issue, the resistance reading is rock solid and doesn't jump around, my coils heat perfectly evenly inside out and at the same time on both sides, I have a ton of airflow. Any ideas why this build isn't vaping well?

Is the single coil at 26 gauge also?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
Status