Cart Mod for better refilling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cellmeister

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
Beantown, USA
I Have Been Using The Straw On About 6 Different Atoms for Over 6 Weeks. I Think It Works Great! The Plastic Straws Still Have No Melt Marks Or Signs Of It. I Think U Should Have The Straw A Little Below The End Of The Depressed Filler From The Top Side / Thread Side, Even Lower / Shorter Or A Little Covered Its Still Going To Vent & Work. The Metal Needle Is Not Necessary But Its Your Option.

~Keep Vapin~!

KreeL

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
West Texas
Bubba Gump, the idea isn't for dropping liquid thru the straw. The straw is simply an air vent so that the liquid absorbs quickly and completely into the filler. Look at opus' original design and make note of the arrows. Filling the bottom of your cart will likely cause gurgling from fluid leaking into your overflow reservoir at the mouthpiece end. You will likely find out what the eliquid tastes like as well.

smokie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2009
Brooklyn, New York
www.youtube.com
I came across this when I was doing a USB pass through mod.
The issue is that every time I try to refill, I can only get about 3-4 drops in the cart before it fills to the top. I know the 901 carts with the sponge material can take at least 7 drops. I made a small modification by cutting about 1.5mm off from the bottom of the sponge material, then insert a shrink tube (any straw like material with an hollow center will do). The shrink tube's inside diameter is about the same as a toothpick. With this mod I was able to fill about 7-12 drops before it was full. I am also able to vape longer without refills.

The Idea:
graphic1g.jpg

The Steps:
Cut a length of the straw to the size of the cart chamber minus 1.5mm.
img0973.jpg

We also need to cut a angled slit to expose the cross section of the straw on the bottom.

img0975l.jpg

Here is what it looks like in a cart with the sponge material.
img0976i.jpg

Been vaping for about a week and it works perfectly!

Just have to ask this question, you take the straw out after you refill the cart, because the atomizer will burn that plastic straw up, what a stink you will have. This just for those folks who are not that e-cig savvy.

Last edited:

Cellmeister

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
Beantown, USA
how about this question....can someone please make note of what length the straw should be, as far as who is using these with no melting or burning?

Hi Flitz,

Go Here For The Video http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tips-tricks/20403-fluval-cartridge-restuffing-video-instructions.html

The Length Of The Straw Will Depend On What Cart You Are Using. Just Remove The Cart Filler, Stick Your Straw In The Cart, Cut Off At The Top of The Cart, Then Pull Out The Cut Straw and Trim It Down A Little, Do As Needed.

I have Some Real Low Probably 3/8" Below The Edge Of The Cart, They Work Fine. Its Experiment & See, No Big Deal. I Have Just Eyeballed The Length Many Times, No Issues. :D

All My Straws Are Different Length, They All Work Great. I Did Initially Over Fill A Few Carts, But After A Bit It Worked Fine and I Have Not Had One Overfill, I Am Really Filling The Carts Up!

And Hey, If You Don't Like It Just Yank it Out, But Give It Some Time 1st. :cool:

Forgot: Never Had Any Melting, 801, 901, 510, Stick & Mini-Pipe

~Keep Vapin~!

Last edited:

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
Hi Flitz,

Go Here For The Video http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tips-tricks/20403-fluval-cartridge-restuffing-video-instructions.html

The Length Of The Straw Will Depend On What Cart You Are Using. Just Remove The Cart Filler, Stick Your Straw In The Cart, Cut Off At The Top of The Cart, Then Pull Out The Cut Straw and Trim It Down A Little, Do As Needed.

I have Some Real Low Probably 3/8" Below The Edge Of The Cart, They Work Fine. Its Experiment & See, No Big Deal. I Have Just Eyeballed The Length Many Times, No Issues. :D

All My Straws Are Different Length, They All Work Great. I Did Initially Over Fill A Few Carts, But After A Bit It Worked Fine and I Have Not Had One Overfill, I Am Really Filling The Carts Up!

And Hey, If You Don't Like It Just Yank it Out, But Give It Some Time 1st. :cool:

Forgot: Never Had Any Melting, 801, 901, 510, Stick & Mini-Pipe

~Keep Vapin~!

i guess the concern is, what is the distance between the top of the cart and actually hitting the atomizer? as long as it is below the top of the cart is that pretty safe for it not to get too hot and melt?

makes me wish we had transparent parts sometimes! now that would be a great ecig.

Cellmeister

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
Beantown, USA
i guess the concern is, what is the distance between the top of the cart and actually hitting the atomizer? as long as it is below the top of the cart is that pretty safe for it not to get too hot and melt?

makes me wish we had transparent parts sometimes! now that would be a great ecig.

Just Be Sure The Straw Is On Any Far Side and Chop A Good 1/8" Off It. U Should Be Good To Go. Check It When U Fill Your Cart Just Take A Peek At It. Of Course If U Have A Funny Taste, Check The Cart. Trim If Needed... ;)

~Keep Vapin~!

BengalBacker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2009
Dayton Ohio
Ok, I'm sitting here with nothing but a Smoking Everywhere piece of crap, smoking analogs because this thing is useless. I have an order for all kinds of new goodies that should arrive Monday or Tuesday, but so far this thing is all I've ever tried.

I saw this thread, had a cheap, hollow Qtip within reach, got some scissors, made the cuts. I pulled the stuffing out of the cart, slid the tube in, pushed the stuffing back in. I didn't even try to keep it off the bottom for airspace. I didn't even top off the cart, as the stuffing was already wet, it just hadn't been hitting worth a damn.

The first hit I took after inserting the straw was the best I've ever had from this thing. Seems to me that just the added airflow gives you a much better hit somehow. So even if it doesn't make that much difference when topping off (it probably does, haven't tried it yet) it seems to greatly improve the performance.

And the fluval video was outstanding!!

Cellmeister

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
Beantown, USA
i'm still working out the trials on these, but i did add some straws to a couple carts last nigiht, and the definitely lasted longer than normal for a 901. if that alone is helpful just to not have to deal with topping up so much while out at the bar :)

Flitz,

Glad You Finally Jumped On Board! It Will Work, Enjoy! :cool:

~Keep Vapin~!

hma95

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Upper MI USA
Just like everyone else here, this is AMAZING!! I so far have used it (coffee stirrer) in my 510 carts and the draw is better and the flavor of liquid I use has MORE flavor! I'm going to MAKE hubby try this with his 901! LOL

Maybe someday they will make carts with this great feature! I will be the first in line to try it if they do! :D

I believe I will have to switch to low nic as I'm now constantly vaping my RY4 juice!! :D

Did this with my 510 using the plastic casing around a wire, cleaned it dried it cut it at an angle but the angle side down and filled the cart with liquid, wow the liquid sinks to the bottom so nicely and refills are much easier. I don't feel like my hits taste any different but I do get good vapor right to the end of the cart (the few times I actually let it get that low). Now I just want a tad more vapor from it and a longer battery life and I'll be all set.

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
something isn't working quite right with mine still. the liquid is pooling at the top of mine when i'm topping off like it isn't really soaking into the filler. i didn't fill from the bottom though and haven't checked to see how much is in the bottom.

it does feel like it is giving cleaner hits though.

and just fyi, maybe someone can jump in on this one, as i believe some metals give off noxious gases when burned....

but in hobby lobby today, i saw some very tiny metal tubing. like, as small or smaller than coffee stirrers. there were some made of copper, brass, and aluminum (all 3) and were pretty cheap. these were in thin packages about a foot long, and with the toy train accessories.

i think its copper or brass that gives off something bad, but not sure about aluminum if it melted or heated? not sure if they'd heat up that high though, probly a little safer than melting plastic?

KreeL

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
West Texas
The straw goes all the way to the bottom where you leave the small air pocket by pulling the stuffing out a bit and snipping it off. The top of the straw should be just slightly below the top of the stuffing. The bottom of the straw should be slant cut with the cut facing inwards. Don't drip fluid down the straw. This defeats the purpose of allowing air to escape UP the straw as you drip on the filler which will draw the juice DOWN into the filler at the same time.

It works, guys, if you take the time to understand why and look at opus' diagrams.

Also, tinier isn't better. You have to have an exhaust big enough to allow air to go up at the rate the liquid is being dropped. Otherwise you are once again defeating the purpose.

For the 510 get the tiny flat TWO hole coffee stirrer and enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread