Not open for further replies.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
There is a similar method on here that uses a turkey baster (same basic principle). I have a baster at home, so am thinking of testing this method tonight. Otherwise will do some syringe and pencil gripper shopping!

It seems that everyone tries and eventually finds their own methods. I was one that did the hot water, or the alcohol soak, the blow outs, etc. I did that today, then decided I would try out the turkey baster. Oh boy! The cartos I THOUGHT were clean were filled with old juice that only came out with the baster!

This is my method of choice now... (don't hate me Valley girl)... fir sure!

LOL! I'm one too.

NuMystic

May 21, 2011
NYC
PM sent!
I really had hoped I could have just written this all out for everyone since I mentioned it though hopefully I can break it down either here or in another thread of its own if needed? I am sure I probably overloaded Newme's brain just from my PM trying to explain the science behind my own method. :matrix:

So did you ever post your confidential so-super-secret-it-had-to-send-it-via-pm "I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" superior scientific modified carto cleaning methodology?

Still not clear on why you didn't just reply in the thread.

Full Disclosure: I am going to stalk you until you surrender your technique.

Mbradst

Jun 20, 2011
NW Ohio
The syringes you guys are talking about are also called Toomey syringes. It's what we use in the ER to confirm nasogastric tube placement. They are also sometimes called piston syringes, irrigation syringes, or slip-tip syringes. I thought that this may be helpful for some of youmlooking for them. Anywhere that sells medical supplies should have them.

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
I bought a cleaning kit form SmokTech...looks like it should work fine...will let ya know when I get it........................:2cool:
Cartomizer/Attomizer Cleaning Kit - With 10ml Control Syringe, Luer-lock compatible w/cleaning tubes and instructions
cartocleanerkit_wm.jpg

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
...well, I cleaned my first batch of cartos(both Boges and EMDCCs)...actually I used the boil method...boil, rinse and boil, rinse and boil, rinse...I did use the big ol' syringe to pull the excess water out of them(both types)...worked VERY well for that...sat the cartos on a table and they were good to go the next morning.................
madjack:2cool:

isisrose1968

Sep 9, 2011
San Francisco
I don't have a lot of time to waste on the cleaning...so with the cartomizers that have a filler I just put them in a coffee cup and pour boiling water over them, let them sit in there for a few minutes...sometimes I do this twice, and then let them dry.

I just ordered a couple that I know have filler in them and would like to try this as it sounds so simple. How long do you let them dry for?

Natalia

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2010
California

CaminoDiablo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
East Pembroke NY

Cibban

Nov 8, 2011
Kågeröd, Sweden
Turkey basters and most of the other stuff mentioned in this thread are not widely available in Sweden so I just took a syringe (no needle) and one of the condoms my cartos came with. I poked a tiny hole in the condom and forced the tip of the syringe through it. That way, I could suck and push hot water through the carto with ease. Works like a charm.

I'll post pics if needed.

Cibban

Nov 8, 2011
Kågeröd, Sweden
Today I got tired of the burnt taste from my V2 cartos and decided to do something about it but didn't feel I had the patience for the boil method. First I tried flushing one through with zero residue electronics cleaner (isopropyl alcohol) but even when it was seemingly dry it tasted bad when I vaped it. No, of course I didn't inhale! ;)

I then pulled the filler out and tossed it. Another go with the ISO and the coil looked like new. I replaced the filler with pyramid tea bags cut into strips, the same width as the original filler, rolled around a straw that fitted perfectly around the center tube. I just put the straw over the center tube making sure I got all the way to the bottom of the carto, held the PTB roll in place with a small screwdriver and pulled the straw out. Thereafter I fluffed the PTB a little, condom filled the carto and vaped away.

It wicked like a dream and tasted fantastic. A small hint of tea on the first puffs but that was actually nice. :)

3 minutes cleaning in total and the carto is better than it was when it was new. YMMV.

Tomorrow I'm gonna try to replace filler with vacuum cleaner filter leftovers. I'll be back with the results.

Last edited:

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Turkey basters and most of the other stuff mentioned in this thread are not widely available in Sweden so I just took a syringe (no needle) and one of the condoms my cartos came with. I poked a tiny hole in the condom and forced the tip of the syringe through it. That way, I could suck and push hot water through the carto with ease. Works like a charm.

This simple idea sounds like an excellent solution. I'll give it try when I clean my first carto.

Sa Da Tay

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2011
Austin, Texas
Help! I'm having problems successfully cleaning my Halo/808 cartos. I've read just about every technique on here including watching videos. I use the oral syringe method: attach carto to syringe, flush with hot water 4-5 times, then I let sit for a few days to dry. I've tried this with 3 cartos now and every time I fill with juice (via syringe), there are issues with it hitting right and producing vapor. I have no idea where to go from here as again I've duplicated this technique from posts and videos on here. Any guidance?

Creniker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2011
Salt Lake
I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in I do a very similer method to the one described, but instead substitute 90% rubbing alcohol instead of hot water for two reasons. 1 when it dries it leaves no trace, unlike tap water (distilled water heated up would do the same) and two it dries much faster. Just my 2 cents, seems to work really well for me hope others have similar results. Happy vaping!

Creniker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2011
Salt Lake
Help! I'm having problems successfully cleaning my Halo/808 cartos. I've read just about every technique on here including watching videos. I use the oral syringe method: attach carto to syringe, flush with hot water 4-5 times, then I let sit for a few days to dry. I've tried this with 3 cartos now and every time I fill with juice (via syringe), there are issues with it hitting right and producing vapor. I have no idea where to go from here as again I've duplicated this technique from posts and videos on here. Any guidance?

Sorry to double post, but I just wanted to say thats exactly why I switched to 90% rubbing alcohol. It seems when tap or purified water dries, it leaves a sort of residue on the coil and filler, and it takes a while to vape off, and for the flavor and vapor to return to normal. With distilled water or alcohol, I haven't had the same issue.

Sa Da Tay

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2011
Austin, Texas
Sorry to double post, but I just wanted to say thats exactly why I switched to 90% rubbing alcohol. It seems when tap or purified water dries, it leaves a sort of residue on the coil and filler, and it takes a while to vape off, and for the flavor and vapor to return to normal. With distilled water or alcohol, I haven't had the same issue.

Thanks for the suggestion- I'll try that next.

CoffeeFairy

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX USA

I never would have thought of this and you're right!! Works great and much less hassle than the boil and rinse and dry method I was using. Thank you so much for sharing!!!! I'm using this right now with hot Everclear instead of water...seems to dry even faster.

Thank you again! Something to do with all of those carto condoms I've collected, LOL.

Cibban

Nov 8, 2011
Kågeröd, Sweden
Don't mention it. :)

Sa Da Tay: Try pushing the filler down towards the bottom of the carto with something blunt. I had the same problem with some cartos and it turned out the filler was not in contact with the wick. A slight push downwards and they vaped perfectly again. I tried holding the filler in place with an oring. That seems to work but I'm out of juice at the moment så I can't say for certain that it makes any difference. It should though.

I have totally abandoned water. I just don't have the patience to wait for days after cleaning. Now I just rip the filler out and clean the carto with electronics cleaner (iso). As I mentioned earlier I have tried replacing the filler with PTB and it worked well but the carto can't hold as much juice as it did with the original filler (polyfill?). I'll try vacuum cleaner filter next time and if that doesn't work I'm going to try PTB again but insert it in another way. Another thing Iĺl try is to wash the original filler in hot water and put it in the drier. In a sock, of course. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread