Has anyone REALLY gotten a cartomizer clean and free of bad tastes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
I clean my cartos about once a fortnight. Some have maybe 15ml of liquid through them between cleans.

I shove them up
Inside the tap and flush lukewarm water through them and pop them into a pot of boiling water for about 20 mins.

I let them cool and blow as much water as I can out of them and then dry them in the oven for no more than an hour at about 130 C (or 45 mins at 150 C) and then turn the oven off and let them stay in there as the oven cools.

I might lose one here or there but they last me so long the labels are wearing off but they're still going strong.
I find vertical coils a little more forgiving than horizontal coil cartos.

Do you actually boil them or just turn off the heat?

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
15 Boges can generally be had for $20.00 delivered .. that's $1.33 each .. I'm getting a minimum of 5 days per carto .. or about 27 cents a day cost .. don't see any compelling reason to attempt to clean for me, anyway ..

I am however, saving my uncleaned / used cartos in a can .. just in case the Apocalypse scenario is real ..

rolandpibb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
British Columbia
Never boil a carto. It changes the consistency of the filler. Hot water is all you need to clean the carto filler.

Some horizontal cartos can be taken apart so you can "dry burn" the coils. Verticals can not.

Dry burning (not recommended as it weakens the coil) is the only way you can clean that baked on gunk from the coils. Alcohol, vinegar, water, and various shoogling machines will not.

Cartos are meany to be disposable and I love them.

Sa Da Tay

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2011
Austin, Texas
I recently just got some clear cartos for the first time (the megaEgo's) and I just cleaned one using the syringe flush method. Something I noticed that I was never able to see with my usual black cartos is that when I flushed the usual way- with the syringe cupping the mouth end, drawing up through the battery contact end- it cleared every part of the filling except for the very bottom section next to the batt end. That is, there was still a very distinct ring of juice on the battery end with the rest of the filler completely white/flushed. So I switched ends- with syringe around the battery end- and flushed which completely cleaned the remaining juice out.

Maybe this is common knowledge but I never knew this before and will start flushing all my cartos from both ends.

KeysBum

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2011
Florida Keys, USA
15 Boges can generally be had for $20.00 delivered .. that's $1.33 each .. I'm getting a minimum of 5 days per carto .. or about 27 cents a day cost .. don't see any compelling reason to attempt to clean for me, anyway ..

I am however, saving my uncleaned / used cartos in a can .. just in case the Apocalypse scenario is real ..

+1 Willie. I just bought several hunded from Health Cabin for $.68 each. Why on god's green earth would I bother to try to clean/re-use them.

To me, it's like trying to re-use an oil filter.

Last edited:

Loveridden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
Schaumburg, IL
I boil my cartos. I get MOST cleaned. Certain juices that are strong or dark or thick juices I can't get out completely. If the carto has burnt filling I toss it because that can't be undone. Some cartos that I don't think are gonna be able to be cleaned well because of the kind of juice I put in them I try anyways and am pleasantly surprised. Others, no. If I see the filling looks bad I toss. Sometimes I will get a carto where the filling has changed and it's hardened and I toss. But most of my cartos I have been able to clean out well. I boil 2-3 times. I have a metal drainer that sits in the pot and keeps the cartos from being on the bottom of the pot, to protect the atomizer inside. Then when done I rinse well (and in between boilings too when I add new clean water) and then I blow them out VERY well and dry in the oven on a cookie sheet, mouth piece end down so the atomizer in the battery end is protected. I dry for 40 mins at 175 degrees and usually let sit overnight as well as I usually boil in the evening, sometimes right along side dinner lol (but not TOO close to dinner lol). Oh and since I use cartos with different colored wrappings on them I also wipe off the wrappings before I put the cartos in the oven so there are no juice spots on them.

Harryinny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
Syracuse NY
+1 Willie. I just bought several hunded from Health Cabin for $.68 each. Why on god's green earth would I bother to try to clean/re-use them.

To me, it's like trying to re-use an oil filter.

I wish i could afford even .68 cents right now :) But im haveing to sell my harley, and give up a couple more things because it seems everything that could go wrong in this economy, it has me thinking i have a bullseye painted on me. I try my best to reuse the carto's and so far, as long as i get most of the old out, im good. I started with a very strong flavor and have eliminated it after one cleaning and two refills. Now in trying a new (stronger) flavor of tobaco and the lighter one is so subtle i think ill only have to minimally clean the carto's once, then fill with the new liquid. Cleaning them is my only option right now, i can afford(because of shipping usually) maybe a pack of 5 maybe every 2 months. :(

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread