Cell harm seen in lab tests of e-cigarettes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
If real vaping hazards exist nobody is going to be more interested than people who vape. I keep an eye out for reports of doctors treating illnesses caused by using ecigs. Anybody seen anything? The only voice in public health research I trust is Dr. F. The rest of them might as well shut up because I'm not listening any more. Click.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The overarching question is whether the battery-operated products are really any safer than the conventional tobacco cigarettes they are designed to replace.

Wang-Rodriquez doesn't think they are.

"Based on the evidence to date," she says, "I believe they are no better than smoking regular cigarettes."
Dear Ms. Wang-Rodriquez: Please repeat your study and compare actual cigarette smoke to vapor on your cells and let us know if you still think that.

Or maybe just climb down from your ivory tower and talk to some people who were heavy smokers for decades and switched to vaping.

Last edited:

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
This seems excessive on first glance and was this vapor form or liquid form?
MATERIALS AND METHODS:
HaCaT, UMSCC10B, and HN30 were treated with nicotine-containing and nicotine-free vapor extract from two popular e-cigarette brands for periods ranging from 48h to 8weeks. Cytotoxicity was assessed using Annexin V flow cytometric analysis, trypan blue exclusion, and clonogenic assays. Genotoxicity in the form of DNA strand breaks was quantified using the neutral comet assay and γ-H2AX immunostaining.

Link to the actual study http://www.oraloncology.com/article/S1368-8375(15)00362-0/fulltext I am still reading the study but thought others would like to see it as well.

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL
Uhm ...

"Treatment media was replaced every three days with 1% e-cigarette extract. Because of the high toxicity of cigarette smoke extract, cigarette-treated samples of each cell line could only be treated for 24h."

So the cigarette treated samples were dead after 24 hours, but ecigs are no safer? Good Grief!

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
So, the VA can afford to fund another BS worthless rehashed 'cell damage' study, that was discredited over 6 months ago, but can't treat the Vets that Defended Our Country in the BS Wars that our Precious Govmint throws them into?

Makes you Proud to be an American, don't it!

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Its biggest fraud is in insinuating that their assays prove that e-cigs can cause cancer. "One of the most pertinent questions regarding the relative safety of e-cigs is whether or not e-cigs have the potential to cause DNA damage in human cells," they slime. But those assays have not been validated to be able to predict this! And in fact, a similar Comet assay was shown by a prospective study NOT to do so!

In Epstein-Barr virus-transformed lymphoblastoid cell lines established from prospectively collected peripheral blood samples of 117 lung cancer patients with 117 matched controls, the alkaline Comet assay and the host cell reactivation (HCR) assay with the mutagen benzo[a]pyrene diol epoxide were unrelated to lung cancer risk. In the bleomycin mutagen sensitivity assay, "statistically significantly increased lung cancer odds ratios (OR(adjusted)) were observed for bleomycin mutagen sensitivity as quartiles of chromatid breaks/cell [relative to the lowest quartile, OR = 1.2, 95% confidence interval (CI): 0.5-2.5; OR = 1.4, 95% CI: 0.7-3.1; OR = 2.1, 95% CI: 1.0-4.4, respectively, P(trend) = 0.04]. The magnitude of the association between the bleomycin assay and lung cancer risk was modest compared with those reported in previous lung cancer studies but was strengthened when we included only incident cases diagnosed more than a year after blood collection (P(trend) = 0.02), supporting the notion the assay may be a measure of cancer susceptibility." [However, infections by both Epstein-Barr virus and cytomegalovirus make cells more susceptible to damage by bleomycin.]
Prospective analysis of DNA damage and repair markers of lung cancer risk from the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) Cancer Screening Trial

Reactions: Nimaz

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Replace the ecig juice with MT Dew and the cell damage might be worse.
Heck Milk might damage cells in that application.
And that Sir, is precisely why I replaced that toxic Mountain Dew with Pepsi.

(there is an on point analogy here :D)

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
+1 for Pepsi. :D

Andria
Oh, reminds me I did a back of the envelope calculation of the equivalent human dosage of the infamous Diacetyl rat tests. I calculated the equivalent dosage to be 3 MILLION micrograms. That is 150x the dosage of the very worst case extreme vaping I could reasonably come up with... 1000 µg/ml X 20 ml per day....

Yet some people put more stock in that experiment than the real world experience of millions of vapers and one billion smokers.

Perhaps I made a mistake and someone will come up with a different number?

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Oh, reminds me I did a back of the envelope calculation of the equivalent human dosage of the infamous Diacetyl rat tests. I calculated the equivalent dosage to be 3 MILLION micrograms. That is 150x the dosage of the very worst case extreme vaping I could reasonably come up with... 1000 µg/ml X 20 ml per day....

Yet some people put more stock in that experiment than the real world experience of millions of vapers and one billion smokers.

Perhaps I made a mistake and someone will come up with a different number?

I think it's probably right. My own avoidance of them, as previously noted, has more to do with asthma, hypochondria, and anxiety, than any real fear that it's a real threat. My own brain is a far bigger threat to my peace of mind than anything in ejuice. :D

Oh, and just let me say: +2 for Dr Pepper. :D

Andria

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
Here's the important part folks: "The damage occurred even with nicotine-free versions of the products." It's on now. They don't want us vaping anything. ...ever! All the counter arguments we make about reducing nic to 0 or vaping nic-free juice to begin with are going to be systematically dismantled with garbage like this. Look for this "study" to be quoted ad-nauseum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread