Not open for further replies.

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
This is from Joytech's website regarding the Ultimo tank and the coils it uses:

MG Ceramic-0.5ohm head applies the innovative Ceramic material with long-lasting lifespan brings you great pure flavor ever. Spiting and leakage can be avoided. It adopts 100% pure cotton and can be used under high temperature condition, providing large vapor production with a pure flavor.

ULTIMO Atomizer - Joyetech
Now THAT'S the tank I am really looking forward to! The reviews on that ceramic coil are amazing so far. :)

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
I have not received my replacement yet. Not sure if the replacement leaks or not. As I mentioned on post #64 , the second tank that I have vapes fine , no leaks.

With all this talk about a redesigned tank/coils. Are we beta tested this tank for the manufacturer???
I always assume a V1 tank is a beta version. At the rate new gear comes out they don't have ton of time to do extensive testing on each batch.

It does seem like half the people on this thread have the leakage issue and half don't, so it's funny that you have one of each, lol! Wait, that came out wrong. I don't mean it's funny that you have a leaky tank, just that it seems to fit with the number of good/bad tanks.

Shutting up now. :D

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
The Vaporesso cCells do have cotton around the outside of the ceramic piece. This is supposed to "control" the amount of wicking to the ceramic and is not in contact with the wire. The problems with those coils are that they are terribly inconsistent and have a break-in period of anywhere from 5 minutes to never! The Cerabis coils don't use cotton at all. Perhaps that is causing the problems many are having with leaking.
The Joyetech Ultimo also uses cotton wrapped around the ceramic coil (not in contact with the wire). If the cotton used in this manner produces a coil/tank that doesn't leak and still produces the great flavor of a ceramic coil, that's great.
Vaporesso appears to have fixed the problem with the inconsistent coils in their more recent batches. There was a time where it was a total crap shoot, not knowing if a coil was good or bad, though! The last couple of boxes I have gotten have been all good, but they do require a long set time before the ceramic saturates. Much longer than the very first ones.

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
Yes it is great. However the cotton gets gunked by the juice and needs replacing every week or so - cotton life is short because of the juice, not because it is or is not in contact with the coil.
That's not true with the coils I have. You don't have to replace the cotton wrap ever, and it cleans up perfectly. I have never had a problem with my cotton getting gunky and I have gone through probably 20 of cCells. I wash them up and reuse them or give them to my son, who doesn't bother with cleaning them.

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
That's not true with the coils I have. You don't have to replace the cotton wrap ever, and it cleans up perfectly. I have never had a problem with my cotton getting gunky and I have gone through probably 20 of cCells. I wash them up and reuse them or give them to my son, who doesn't bother with cleaning them.

If the cotton isn't going bad why have you changed 20 of them out?

Sure the coils can be soaked in alcohol or water and the cotton "cleaned" but you can do that with any other sub ohm coil as well. I used to do the same thing with my TFV4 coils.

Reactions: cooladdict

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
I should send them a video of what happens with mine. I am sure they have video evidence, but you never know, lol. It might help them understand the issue better. I sent a pretty detailed response to tonight's email, though, so I will see what they have to say in their response. It will take me less than a tank to get the tank to spill spent e-juice.

You should send a video. They are very open to ideas and suggestions on what the cause could be. I am sure they would welcome it.

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
Vaporesso does not use cotton for wicking. The cotton pad around the cCell is there to help with juice flow. Sintered ceramic is porous and when the juice gets hot it can flow freely through the coil (causing leakage) and the cotton pad around these coils prevents that kind of leakage.

Which is the definition of wicking.

The coils that use a cotton wrap use the cotton to hold the juice on the ceramic portion so that the ceramic has a constant feed of juice.

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
I contacted Ceravape about the coil change, and this is what they told me:

"Cool. Upgraded Cerabis? it's the same coil same design,but we'v modified a little bit ,the coils you bought still fits on it :) . and we're designing a mini which hold 2.5/2ml, different coil though,it's shorter." So YAY! The new tank will still accept the coils I have. :)

There must have been a misunderstanding or they have made a change. The "new tank" I saw in Miami definitely did not accept the cerabis coil - we discussed it at length at the convention.

They were super nice and extremely thorough in their response to my e-mail. They wanted details about exactly what it is my tank is doing, and they offered tips and possible suggestions as to why it is doing what it's doing and they wanted to know if I had any ideas about what the issue might be. They suggested the things that you did (the push-pull feature, etc) and told me that they knew I was not a "newbie vaper" and asked if I had any different ideas. They were awesome! :)

I told you they were good people.

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
I wonder if the problem could be associated with the position of the o-ring on the top of the coil? Say you chain vaping away and the tank gets hot then you close the tank and the hot o-ring dislodges from it's position or it becomes damaged. Heat causes everything to expand in the tank, so the tolerances inside would be much tighter if the coil was hot.

CEVCER-13.jpg

Last edited:

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
I've always thought that excess heat could be a big part of the problem. I am not a chain vaper. When my tank starts to heat up I put it down and let it cool off. Maybe that's why I've never had a leaking problem.

I have always been of the opinion that excessive heat is not got for our tanks, mods, batteries, etc... I make it a practice to never vape anything to an excessive heat situation.

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
I've always thought that excess heat could be a big part of the problem. I am not a chain vaper. When my tank starts to heat up I put it down and let it cool off. Maybe that's why I've never had a leaking problem.

I have always been of the opinion that excessive heat is not got for our tanks, mods, batteries, etc... I make it a practice to never vape anything to an excessive heat situation.

Ceramic especially holds heat for a long period of time, that is why it is used in cooking so frequently.

O-rings by nature are a tight fit to prevent things from leaking.

Heat expands materials and the closer to the heat the more expansion. So the coil expands more then the outside of the tank.

If the coil is expanding, even a few thousandths of an inch, that would put added pressure on the o-ring that controls the juice flow. If the tank is then turned off it could in theory cause that o-ring on the top of the coil to roll out of it's slot in the coil making it useless. When the user opens the tank at a later time to vape the o-ring may or may not roll back in to place. Regardless if the o-ring is constantly rolling in and out it could possibly eventually wear out or not get seated one time resulting in excess juice flow while the tank is in the "off" position. When the user then opens the tank the tank may leak.

The fix would be to replace the coil. However if the user uses the tank the same way they previously did the results will be the same.

The manufacture solution is to stop the on/off function of the tank in order to have a more user friendly product. I do not think telling users to not use the open and closed feature while the tank is hot would work.

This is all speculation by me - but I think it is a plausible reason that some users are experiencing leaking tanks and others are not. It could also explain why some users tanks leak sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
If the cotton isn't going bad why have you changed 20 of them out?

Sure the coils can be soaked in alcohol or water and the cotton "cleaned" but you can do that with any other sub ohm coil as well. I used to do the same thing with my TFV4 coils.
I have 7 tanks i run them in and I have a lot of coils. I prefer fresh over washed but I do use the washed ones, too. I have also been using them since they were first released, so I have had a lot of time to go through them, and my son is using them now, too, and I am not buying coils for him. :D

I found that alcohol can ruin the cotton so I don't use it for cleaning anymore. I have gone through a lot of different cleaning processes, including using denture cleaner and my ultrasonic cleaner but they really do clean up great by just dropping them into a mug of microwave boiling water and letting them soak for a few hours, then rinsing them out.

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
You should send a video. They are very open to ideas and suggestions on what the cause could be. I am sure they would welcome it.
Yep, I'm working on that today, in fact! :) I had the tank packed up (sending it back to Gearbest) but I told them I would perform a dry burn test on the coil and then run one more tank of juice through it, taking pictures along the way so they can see the condition of the juice that leaks out (they didn't realize it was "spent" juice) and record my findings.

This is what they said about the coil upgrade. It's a little bit confusing. They said that only the mini version is different, but this makes it look like there actually is an upgrade to the regular sized coil. I asked if it is okay to share here and they said yes. :)
Cerabis upgrade.PNG

I am wondering if lowering the juice flow holes will help keep the coil from getting oversaturated? I know my tank gets VERY hot during use when I chain vape and I'm sure this thins the juice out considerably. Maybe by restricting juice flow and with the addition of the third O ring it will help with that. I might throw an O ring around mine to see if that helps! :)

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
Which is the definition of wicking.

The coils that use a cotton wrap use the cotton to hold the juice on the ceramic portion so that the ceramic has a constant feed of juice.
Right, but this wicking never touches the wire like regular cotton wicks do. Vaporesso put out a lot of information about this when they released the cCell to explain why they use the cotton wrap. Their main reason for using it is to help prevent leakage. Ceravape is aware of this, and since it is their goal to totally eliminate the use of cotton they have designed a less porous sintered ceramic. Here's what they said in email:

"Ceravape focus on CERAMIC (no cotton) for around 3 years,actually. and the very difference is that we have the ceramic factory,be able to design different style to performs best on vape products
there's no any similar ceramic on the market,if so ,they have to purchase from us. this type of ceramic is porous while solid,it will balance the "burnt taste" and "leak" if designed well.it's hard to do but we believe it's the best flavor and last longer and benefits a lot for vapers,that's the motivation we continue."

And also this:

"we dedicated on ceramic coil tank for 3 years and have tried lots of type ceramics,and we choose the once we
use right now,but this type we don't supply to any other vape company yet. the first 2 years we only do research and study ,and education on how ceramic will deliver the clean flavor of juice.
we were alone at that time,and happy to hear that more and more companies switched into ceramic within the effort we made,even their ceramic coil has cotton wrapped,it's a big move in the
industry.but we do hope they can spend more time on it,not only a product with ceramic and switched back into cotton coils,they may find the ceramic study costs a lot of energy and bucks
download
"

It sounds like they do supply the ceramic powder to Vaporesso, etc, but they have a proprietary blend they are using for their own coils. I can't imagine how much all that research and development costs. Vaporesso spent 2 years on their own coil development and they said the same thing. It costs big bucks to create this kind of coil tech! We are really lucky to have such dedicated companies working to create stellar vaping experiences for us. Makes me proud to be a vaper. :)

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
There must have been a misunderstanding or they have made a change. The "new tank" I saw in Miami definitely did not accept the cerabis coil - we discussed it at length at the convention.

I told you they were good people.
The new tank you saw was definitely a Cerabis version? Was it the mini, maybe? They did say that the mini version takes a different coil. It's hard with the language barrier, but it definitely sounds like there is an upgrade in the Cerabis coil at least, and probably a totally new tank with a different ceramic coil! :)

Yep, they are great to work with! I only contacted them because you were so impressed by them. I wouldn't have done so otherwise. If I hadn't been involved in this thread I probably would have just shelved the tank and the box of coils and moved on, so thank you! :)

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
I wonder if the problem could be associated with the position of the o-ring on the top of the coil? Say you chain vaping away and the tank gets hot then you close the tank and the hot o-ring dislodges from it's position or it becomes damaged. Heat causes everything to expand in the tank, so the tolerances inside would be much tighter if the coil was hot.

CEVCER-13.jpg
Now there's a thought! I inspected my coil thoroughly last night before I dry burned it to see if there was any damage anywhere but I couldn't see any. Of course the tank had been sitting unused for days, so if there is an issue when it heats up I wouldn't have noticed it when the coil was at normal temperature most likely. I know for sure that my issue isn't from the pumping action because I don't close my tank down except for filling, but it definitely gets hot when chain vaping.

I am probably about halfway through my test tank right now and I just blew out my first collection of juice from the air flow holes. It's hard to know for sure how much juice I have vaped because of the small window band but I can see an air bubble so I know the juice is getting to where I will be able to see how much is left in the tank soon. I have only done one chain-vaping session on it so far, where I let the tank get really hot. I usually chain vape more than this but I am trying to create a more realistic vaping experience. I'm vaping at 30 watts on the X-Cube II and the juice in my tank is barely discolored, much the same as it is in tanks that don't get super hot. I did dry burn the coil before my test to ensure that no overheated juice would be left in the coil to affect the color.

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation

That makes a lot of sense! I also think excess heat could be an issue. I only have 2 tanks that get really hot, the Cerabis and the Simba, and I stopped using the Simba when I ran out of coils. The juice got really dark from overheating.

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
Right, but this wicking never touches the wire like regular cotton wicks do. Vaporesso put out a lot of information about this when they released the cCell to explain why they use the cotton wrap. Their main reason for using it is to help prevent leakage. Ceravape is aware of this, and since it is their goal to totally eliminate the use of cotton they have designed a less porous sintered ceramic. Here's what they said in email:

I won a Target75 here from a vendor when they first released, so I am familiar with them. Vaporesso maintained they were "ceramic coils" until Mark Fagan reviewed them and tore down their coil and found cotton. Vaporesso had no choice but to come clean then. You should watch his review on the tank.

Vaporesso's ceramic is also very fragile, so you run the risk of vaping the dust. Ceravape's ceramic is much more durable - I seen a video comparison somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread