Changing coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Just like any coil, once it's not tasting right, not vaping right, then it's time to change it.

Depends on what settings you use, the type of coil, and the liquid that you use, as some liquids are so full of sweeteners that they can gum up coils within days.

I've had some cCells last me weeks, others just a few days.

Just make sure that you prime it correctly, and that you stay within the stated limits of wattage. And if you are using NI or TI coils, make sure that you are using Temperature control (VERY important).

Last edited:

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
I usually pulse dry burn my ccells after the third tank. It seems like they are lasting longer or maybe I'm just fooling myself.
I've used a few dozen of the cCells, and:

First, I hope that you aren't dry firing the TC ones. If you are: STOP, and never do it again!

Second, I tried various approach to expending their lives and learned 1) the liquid is the #1 reason that kills a coil, the sweeteners will gum both the ceramic and the coil...and 2) I tried cleaning them every possible way I could think off, overnight soaks, using denture cleaner (as these are ceramic), alcohol baths, boiling them, etc. and I managed to get one or two to work (but not really all that great) for an extra 2-3 days at the most... in other words, it was NOT worth the trouble, once there's buildup in the cartridge, it's there for good, dry burning will only carbonize the gunk but still leave it stuck in the pores of the ceramic, and now you're inhaling carbonized gunk.

That said, I did find that the cCell are very easy to take apart and rebuild, and actually my rebuilds are a LOT better than the originals... with my diy (doing my own liquids without sweeteners), my rebuilds last me over a month easy. Between all the various compatible coils I have and tried and rebuilt, the Vaperasso cCell are the best shells, they are absolutely fantastic and the smartest design.

I just did a tutorial on rebuilding them if interested:
Vaperrasso cCell rebuilding

Last edited:

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Thanks for the advice, but at my age(70) and lack of dexterity, rebuilds are out of the question. When they go bad I'll replace them, compared to the cost of cigarettes it's a no brainer.

No problem... If you know anyone that's good at buiding coils though, you should ask them to rebuild you a few though.. for me, not so much the money, it's really about the difference in the quality... none of the pre-build coils I've ever used come close to the rebuilds I do now, and not saying that out of ego either, they just work that much better. Had a few guys that are expert builders at the store (and they are actually into competitive vaping) give my mod a try and they were puzzled of my tank and coil I was using as they don't do rebuilds, just the usual drippers and RTAs, and they simply found it great (nice guys, no ego, all out to help each other).

I started rebuilding these coils for the heck of trying it out, getting a bit peeves at some of them being dead after just a few days. It took a few tries to "master" it, got a few coils that worked very well, then when taking a brand new coil out, I ended up disappointed with it. I guess I spoiled things for myself. (and note that everyone gets some duds right out of the packages every so often)

I know that it's not for everyone to start doing rebuilds, but it's something that if you can do it, I will encourage/support it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dennism

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
I will change my wick(s) [coil(s)] when the taste of my juice changes for the worst. Once a wick material fails (burned or gunked up) there is little you can do to recover.
Two major factors cause wick failure with regards to how long they should last :
Battery settings
Type of e-liquid
I can prolong wick life but as with everything, there is a limit.

In General higher ohm coils/lower wattage (generally MTL) vaping will:
Heat the coil slower, which may produce “less” vapor
Provide A “cooler” tasting vape, can produce more flavor
May use less E-Juice (<$ less money)
Prolong battery life (<$)
Prolong coil life (<$)
Prolong wick life (<$)
May result in less PV maintenance/Issues
Less irritation to non vapers
Aids stealth vaping
May be better in the long run healthwise (<$)
Might like to read:
Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
ECigarette Academy: Essential Need to Know for New Vapers
One Stop Reference Shop For New and Experienced Vapers
Beginner | Guide To Vaping
http://onvaping.com/guide/beginners...cig-battery-basics-cig-a-likes-egos-and-mods/
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
(1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum
(4) Good Starter Setups for a Beginning Vapor | E-Cigarette Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread