How often do you change your wick/coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver5656

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
on my kfl+v2 i change the wick every 2 tanks, and the coils ever 2 wicks aka 4 tanks. I change it ever 2 because sometimes on the 3rd I get some dry hits and the flavor is slightly off (not bad or burnt, just off). I change my coils every 4 tanks just because I figure I should. Does this sound normal? too frequent? ew gross change it more often!?

prairie guy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2014
Texas
I think it all depends on the liquid you are running thru the tank/coil. The darker juices tend to gunk coils up faster so you would need to change wick and dry burn coil more often. You could extend the life of your coils by dry burning them when you change wicks.I use the same coil for a week or two if its still in good shape. I change the wick when I notice a change in flavor/vapor.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
When do you know you need to change the coil? Looks? Funky flavor? One of my kfl has a coil I really like and would like to keep it as long as possible
For me, it's when I want a different resistance. If your coil is performing well (no funky flavor) I wouldn't bother changing it.

David1975

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2014
Northlake, IL, USA
on my kfl+v2 i change the wick every 2 tanks, and the coils ever 2 wicks aka 4 tanks. I change it ever 2 because sometimes on the 3rd I get some dry hits and the flavor is slightly off (not bad or burnt, just off). I change my coils every 4 tanks just because I figure I should. Does this sound normal? too frequent? ew gross change it more often!?
I tend to do about the same as you.... I do dry burn the coil with every cotton change though. I have notice I can get by with 3 tanks before changing the cotton, but I always tend to get that muted flavor toward the end of my 3rd tank. The coil though.... sometimes 3 tanks, sometimes 6 tanks, depends on how it looks after dry burning it. Although.... I have kicked myself for not changing it a few times after filling up :-(

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
When do you know you need to change the coil? Looks? Funky flavor? One of my kfl has a coil I really like and would like to keep it as long as possible

I change my coils when they break or I feel they will break soon. Typically they break on me after a dry burn when I re-position them or re-wick. Rough estimate is about every 180 ml of juice. I generally use 27 gauge Kanthal, always in rebuildables.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
So what about a kanger protank II coil, how often would you change that? It costs like 8 dollars for 5 of them, so I don't think it's very economical to be changing it every 4 tanks.
Everyone responding to this thread is talking about a rebuildable atomizer. If you start your own thread, I will answer your question and tell you what I do with my Kanger coils.:)

yorg

Aug 1, 2014
N.Z
If you dry burn the coil and clean it during the dry burning part there is no need to change the coil. I've used the same coil for weeks. The only reason I change the coil is I FEEL Like it or to try something different. Higher or lower ohms or bigger or smaller wrap diameter.

Same here.

I change my wick with every change of flavor. Sometimes I'm lazy with my dripper and don't change the wick, get some interesting day recipe ideas this way!

Added

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I keep my coils until I feel I need a diff resistance or diameter setup. I also only re-wick if I get a few too many dry hits. I normally just blow out or wait for the cotton to turn white ( almost dry ) before swapping to a new flavor. I also tend to keep different attys on block, one for clear liquids, one for light liquids and one for darker liquids. The darker liquid seems to gunk the coils up fairly often. I normally dry burn and brush those once a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread