Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi all. I'm very new to vaping and have just finished my first bottle of juice. When I change to a different flavour must I clean out the tank or is it okay to simply pour in the new flavour and I'm good to go? (I'm switching from a Green Apple to Coconut). Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a silly newbie question! :|

No Silly Questions here. Well... Maybe a Few. But this Isn't one of them.

You don't have to Clean Out your tank when you Switch flavors. But you will get some of the Old Flavor with the New if you Don't. Especially if the Old Flavor is a Strong Flavor.

This Isn't always a Bad thing. Going from say Peach to say Cherry might Actually make for a Nice Blend. But Going from Lima Bean to Captain Crunch might not work so well.

I would Always Clean Out a Tank and use a Fresh Coil/Wick if I was moving to an e-Liquid that I had Never tried before. Because I would want to know what the New Flavor tasted like by Itself.

But If I had used the Two Flavors before, and if I thought they might Work Well Together, I might not Clean thing. And just Pour in the New and see how it Taste.

BTW = Welcome to the ECF.

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
It depends on the flavors. Some just don't play well together. Even if you empty the tank there will likely be some mingling of flavor unless you replace the atomizer/head/coil because some of the green apple will remain in the wick.
Thanks curiousJan! I will give it a go and hope for the best (as both are fruity flavours it should be okay). :)

Reactions: Gravy

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015

You don't have to Clean Out your tank when you Switch flavors. But you will get some of the Old Flavor with the New if you Don't. Especially if the Old Flavor is a Strong Flavor.

This Isn't always a Bad thing. Going from say Peach to say Cherry might Actually make for a Nice Blend. But Going from Lima Bean to Captain Crunch might not work so well.

I would Always Clean Out a Tank and use a Fresh Coil/Wick if I was moving to an e-Liquid that I had Never tried before. Because I would want to know what the New Flavor tasted like by Itself.

But If I had used the Two Flavors before, and if I thought they might Work Well Together, I might not Clean thing. And just Pour in the New and see how it Taste.

Thank you very much zoiDman!

It's all very new to me and I'm just hoping vaping will help me to kick the nasty cigarette habit. As you've been very helpful I wonder if I could ask you something else...

Did you smoke cigarettes before? And if so, did you switch straight from cigarettes to e-cigarettes with no problems? I've been smoking my e-cig for about 2 weeks now and am beginning to enjoy it more and more, but I still find myself having the odd cigarette here and there.

Hoping this will gradually lessen until I am just happy with vaping! :unsure:

Reactions: Gravy

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thank you very much zoiDman!

It's all very new to me and I'm just hoping vaping will help me to kick the nasty cigarette habit. As you've been very helpful I wonder if I could ask you something else...

Did you smoke cigarettes before? And if so, did you switch straight from cigarettes to e-cigarettes with no problems? I've been smoking my e-cig for about 2 weeks now and am beginning to enjoy it more and more, but I still find myself having the odd cigarette here and there.

Hoping this will gradually lessen until I am just happy with vaping! :unsure:

I was a Pack a Day (PAD) Smoker for about 25 Years. And had tried to quit Many Times.

When I first Tried an e-Cigarette, in Late 2009, I really wanted to Quit. But I could do it All at Once. I had to Ramp Down on Smoking while Ramping Up on e-Cigarettes for about 2 Months. The Last 2 Cigarettes, one with my Coffee and one after Diner, were very Hard to Stop. But One Day I just said Enough is Enough.

I think your Story of having an Odd Cigarette here and there is Not Uncommon at all. I think a lot depends on How Much and How Long you Smoked. And How Much you want to Quit.

For me, that didn't Work. Because just having One Cigarette would start the Little Voice to say "Have Another". And Another. Now buy a Pack.

But Everyone is Different. And if you are OK with having a Cigarette Occasionally, and it fits into you Plan, I Don't see any problem with it.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
We have a saying here at ECF:

"It's not how many cigarettes you smoke that's important, it's how many YOU DON'T SMOKE that is".

Even if you still sneak in an odd cigarette here and there, you have made great progress in your attempt to stop smoking. Keep up the great work! If you are determined to quit, you most certainly will.

I was a pack a day smoker for over 30 years. Over that time I had tried the nicotine gum & patches, prescription drugs, and even hypnosis in several attempts to quit smoking. They all failed miserably for me.

With electronic cigarettes, I was able to smoke my last cigarette after one week in my transition phase. (Absolutely no cigarettes in almost 4 years, currently.)

During my transition week, I knew that I would have cravings for a smoke. I would vape more when I got one of those cravings. If that didn't help, I allowed myself to smoke half of a cigarette, and put it out. With the next bad craving I would smoke what was left of the second half. Those partially smoked butts tasted pretty bad, but that actually helped me to quit. Before long I didn't want one of those stinky/foul cigarettes and preferred my vape more.

I feel that it is extremely important to find a flavor or two that you really like. If you don't like the flavor, you likely won't vape it.

You also need to have a backup setup. If your battery runs out of a charge, or your tank breaks, coil goes bad, or you run out of fluid, you've given yourself permission to buy a pack of cigarettes. Hence another ECF saying:

"Have a backup for your backup."

Last edited:

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
I was a Pack a Day (PAD) Smoker for about 25 Years. And had tried to quit Many Times.

When I first Tried an e-Cigarette, in Late 2009, I really wanted to Quit. But I could do it All at Once. I had to Ramp Down on Smoking while Ramping Up on e-Cigarettes for about 2 Months. The Last 2 Cigarettes, one with my Coffee and one after Diner, were very Hard to Stop. But One Day I just said Enough is Enough.

I think your Story of having an Odd Cigarette here and there is Not Uncommon at all. I think a lot depends on How Much and How Long you Smoked. And How Much you want to Quit.

For me, that didn't Work. Because just having One Cigarette would start the Little Voice to say "Have Another". And Another. Now buy a Pack.

But Everyone is Different. And if you are OK with having a Cigarette Occasionally, and it fits into you Plan, I Don't see any problem with it.
So helpful. Thank you!

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
We have a saying here at ECF:

"It's not how many cigarettes you smoke that's important, it's how many YOU DON'T SMOKE that is".

Even if you still sneak in an odd cigarette here and there, you have made great progress in your attempt to stop smoking. Keep up the great work! If you are determined to quit, you most certainly will.

I was a pack a day smoker for over 30 years. Over that time I had tried the nicotine gum & patches, prescription drugs, and even hypnosis in several attempts to quit smoking. They all failed miserably for me.

With electronic cigarettes, I was able to smoke my last cigarette after one week in my transition phase. (Absolutely no cigarettes in almost 4 years, currently.)

During my transition week, I knew that I would have cravings for a smoke. I would vape more when I got one of those cravings. If that didn't help, I allowed myself to smoke half of a cigarette, and put it out. With the next bad craving I would smoke what was left of the second half. Those partially smoked butts tasted pretty bad, but that actually helped me to quit. Before long I didn't want one of those stinky/foul cigarettes and preferred my vape more.
Thanks, Baditude. It's very comforting to know you were in the same boat as I am!

I must say, the few cigarettes that I am still smoking are beginning to taste pretty rotten, kind of like when I smoked my first ever cig at 14!

So hoping this feeling will continue and I can continue a life without those nasty things! :thumbs:

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
I agree i smoked a pack aday for 20 yrs and its taken me a while to put down the cig and just vape. I'm still new to this too so don't feel guilty if you still smoke a few.
Best wishes
I think it's also just getting the habit out of my head. I'm so used to holding a regular cigarette. I guess I just need to get into this new routine of vaping instead and not beat myself up if I cave and have the occasional cig. Thank you :)

Reactions: Baditude

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I think it's also just getting the habit out of my head. I'm so used to holding a regular cigarette. I guess I just need to get into this new routine of vaping instead and not beat myself up if I cave and have the occasional cig. Thank you :)
That's the reason, I believe, that vaping is more successful than the gum, patches, drugs, hypnosis, etc.

Not only do we get the nicotine that we crave, but vaping also provides the familiar hand-to-mouth behavior as well as the inhaling/exhaling behavior which we miss with the so-called traditional methods to quit.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome to the board. No need to wash the tank/change coils, so long as you can tolerate the mixed flavors until the new one wins out. And don't worry about falling off the cigarette wagon. Pretty much everybody does. @Baditude is right. Count each one you don't smoke as a victory, and don't dwell on the ones you do, except as a spur to work farther down. There is no crime in dual using.

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015

Thanks! I had no idea there were even so many variations of liquids available! It's quite exciting!

Reactions: zoiDman

Roxyco

Nov 29, 2015
Hi and welcome to the board. No need to wash the tank/change coils, so long as you can tolerate the mixed flavors until the new one wins out. And don't worry about falling off the cigarette wagon. Pretty much everybody does. @Baditude is right. Count each one you don't smoke as a victory, and don't dwell on the ones you do, except as a spur to work farther down. There is no crime in dual using.
Thanks for that. This forum is such a help it's unbelievable! I can honestly say that NONE of my friends or co-workers vape, and only smoke regular cigs, so finding so many vapers in one place is so encouraging for me! :)

Reactions: suprtrkr

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Thanks for that. This forum is such a help it's unbelievable! I can honestly say that NONE of my friends or co-workers vape, and only smoke regular cigs, so finding so many vapers in one place is so encouraging for me! :)
We're here to help, lol. Come back any time to ask questions or for moral support.

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
howdy! and welcome!

a trick i have found to be useful when switching flavors when i don't have the time (or the inclination, lol) to clean the tank is to run a tank of unflavored through... since i tend to vape 70% vg juice, and mix my unflavored at that same ratio, the sweetness of the vg alone is actually a very decent vape and it helps kind of 'flush' the tank... also good for when i get a case of 'vape tongue' going on (taste buds overloaded - vape starts to taste flavorless or very muted)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread