Cleaning Copper Mods?

Discussion in 'Mechmods' started by Pandas, Mar 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pandas

Pandas Full Member

How do I properly clean copper? I have a copper Nemesis and I can't figure out how to clean it properly -_-

What I did was leave it in hot/boiling water pretty much overnight, but it just made it worse :(

Here are pictures:

Here are the outside parts
    20140329_163555.jpg

What it looks like on the inside
    20140329_163454.jpg

Would just simply using alcohol swabs do the trick?

Also, on a slight tangent, how do I remove the extension from the top contact pin thing (first picture, piece all the way to the right)? It's kind of stuck on there, and I can't use 18650 batteries until I figure out how to shorten the mod.

Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Choc_Addic

Choc_Addic Super Member Verified Member

Cape Cod metal polishing cloths.

But getting a metal polishing paste would be much cheaper.

As for removing the stuck top, try rubber bands and channel locks. Be sure not to scratch or crush them.

Cheers.

3. emus

emus Vaping Master

I've freed bound mod threads w/ masking tape and fingers.

Soft metal polish will clean copper. I use silver polish.

4. cramptholomew

cramptholomew Super Member

Bar Keeper's Friend!

5. coalyard

coalyard Super Member

Acetic acid (vinegar). If you can find it a very dilute sulfuric acid solution (under 5% for your safety).

6. Pandas

Pandas Full Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! :)

7. bsoplinger

bsoplinger Vaping Master Verified Member

You can always use Brasso. Cleans all sorts of metal surfaces. As all things chemical, be sure to read and follow directions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

8. Jimi D.

Jimi D. Vaping Master

Tarn-x makes it look like a penny. No dirty mess left behind.

9. Flt Simulation

Flt Simulation Ultra Member

The best metal polish your ever going to find (aluminum, stainless, copper, brass, silver, gold, pewter, etc)

Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish

You can find it at AutoZone, Advanced Auto, etc

..... When the rag turns black .. The metal turns beautiful !

[​IMG]

BTW ... Brasso works good, but not as good as this ... FACT

10. Ru83n

Ru83n Full Member Verified Member

This I agree I used it on a poliac and worked amazing

Sent from outerspace

11. emus

emus Vaping Master

I might take your advice. I'm curious how it stacks up to my vintage silver polish plus I have some aluminum wheels that will need a future touch up.

What mirror polished metals have you used it on? SS, brass, copper, aluminum?

Does it leave a naked eye mirror finish w/ no visible scratches; provided it was mirror before of course. Not easy to rid those near microscopic scratches.

12. megatronlite

megatronlite Full Member Verified Member

I use ketchup, then run it through an ultrasonic cleaner, and then dry it really good, and polish with a cape code cloth.

13. Pandas

Pandas Full Member

For the time being, I decided to use ketchup until I have the time to go out and buy something better.

I just want to get rid of the oil residue that's on the inside mostly, not make it super shiny (not that I mind :p)

14. megatronlite

I bought a container of cape code cloths on ebay for like $15 and one cloth I can reuse multiple times. I'll try to find the link.

15. megatronlite

link There's the link for the 12 pack.

16. indytrucks

indytrucks Full Member

What I use too. [​IMG]

17. DocHo11idaze

DocHo11idaze Senior Member Verified Member

Mothers is the nuts, I haven't used it on a mod yet though. When I was younger I'd polish my aluminum bmx bike with it though, that frame turned into a mirror.

18. MrPlink

MrPlink Ultra Member

Bang for your buck mothers is very hard to argue with. There are a couple things I can think of which work better (rather are a little easier to work with) but cost twice as much for only half as much product.

Mothers will work on just about all forms of metal and even on somethings that arent metal to begin with.

19. Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl Vaping Master Verified Member

Add my vote for Mothers..

20. Fuzzy Bruce

Fuzzy Bruce Ultra Member Verified Member

First, I do not own a copper mod. Having seen a couple at a local vape lounge, I kind of like the patina on a well used copper.

Sure, the inside needs to be shiny, for conductance, if nothing else, but I would be concerned with any polish that leaves any sort of residue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.