"Clones" are actually the REAL THING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prometheus72

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
my thoughts. I feel that the ONLY way these clones are actual 1:1 "copies" is that they are actually the real deal. I am willing to be that the designers of the King, Nemesis, and Chi You for example are actually selling the design to fasttech to make more money over more sales while still offering their own at high end prices. I think they'd be fools not to do this, and with new models being cloned even before the actual model is released just furthers to convince me that these Chinese "Knock Offs" are actually the real thing being mass produced by designed provided by the designers themselves.

This goes for rba/rda's as well. The Trident for example is exactly the same 1:1 as the real one. The Kraken clone...same thing...exact copy. It's just far too convenient to call them clones when they are exact 1:1 as the supposed "real deal" item.

There...I've said it.

The "clones" are actually the real thing. :)

Last edited:

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
my thoughts. I feel that the ONLY way these clones are actual 1:1 "copies" is that they are actually the real deal. I am willing to be that the designers of the King, Nemesis, and Chi You for example are actually selling the design to FastTech to make more money over more sales while still offering their own at high end prices. I think they'd be fools not to do this, and with new models being cloned even before the actual model is released just furthers to convince me that these Chinese "Knock Offs" are actually the real thing being mass produced by designed provided by the designers themselves.

This goes for RBA/RDA's as well. The Trident for example is exactly the same 1:1 as the real one. The Kraken clone...same thing...exact copy. It's just far too convenient to call them clones when they are exact 1:1 as the supposed "real deal" item.

There...I've said it.

The "clones" are actually the real thing. :)

There may be some truth to this. I would not be surprised. Hehe

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
Clones are just knocked off remakes of the real thing ... if you held them both at the same time ... the weight and quality of material would likely convince you which item was the real deal.

Same applies to knockoffs of products outside of vaping too ... same 1 to 1 specs, just cheaper material and craftsmanship :2cool:

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
I would imagine with computer controlled machining, and a thing for scanning a part (Lasers? Sound? God knows...), you can replicate an indistinguishable to the naked eye copy of pretty much any shaped block of metal you can imagine, in a matter of minutes.

This is becoming a massive industry. They will have very clever people using very expensive toys.

Prometheus72

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Clones are just knocked off remakes of the real thing ... if you held them both at the same time ... the weight and quality of material would likely convince you which item was the real deal.

Same applies to knockoffs of products outside of vaping too ... same 1 to 1 specs, just cheaper material and craftsmanship :2cool:

You obviously have not held a real and clone Nemesis or Chi You side by side

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I think it depends on the mod.

when a new mod or atty comes out and a week later(sometimes even less) china has a 1:1 copy that tells you someones been using cheap labor it may not have the same exact tube but it shows theres already a design drawing laying around the shop.

yet other mods have been out forever and when china attempts to make a copy it isnt even close. the poldiac and roller are two perfect examples. they keep trying but you can spot the clones of these on the other side of the room.

I am thinking at this point many of the Asian and Philippine mods are in fact produced by chinese shops. it is the only way they could actually surpass the performance of an original design by just adjusting a few areas.

Last edited:

Dj Xy

I'm winning like Charlie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
baltimore, maryland
I was going to post something like this myself but............................
images

That being said, I have held a Chi you, and its clone side by side and they are identical, I am going to order the clone myself.

FringeChief68

Kingsguard
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
I just figured if their ad had the name like Nemesis Style or Nemesis Clone they would have to pay who ever owns the copy rights.
Or sometimes the company them self realizes some people can't afford the real thing so they use a different company, that they own, to produce a cheaper one.

This might be why you don't see ProVari clone on Fasttech, ProVape won't sale the Copy Rights.

I said something like this on this thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/488800-i-must-state.html

smillett_vox

Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Vernon, CT, USA
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385173773.992046.jpg

Mind...blown.

So if your concerned about mod makers selling out, just buy a mod that hasn't been cloned ever. Simple! Try a Vanilla or something like that. I've never seen a clone of those. Do some deep research and find a mod you like. That's how I found my Moon G3. I just kept looking until I found something I liked for a good price. I mean it's a one man operation and he uses a manual lathe to make them and that's it lol. It's about as backwoods as it gets. Anyway I see what you mean though, it just doesn't make sense why they would sell their designs to mass producers and wholesalers when they sell a run of a thousand for like $300 a piece in less than 48 hours.

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
The high price is partly a function of their rarity. They're called Veblen goods, and often made in artificially limited runs. If they sold more, they'd be less valuable.

But that doesn't mean they're also mass producing them under a different label.

They might be. Who can say? You have no evidence except that they're a) out really quickly and b) pretty much indistinguishable sometimes. It only takes one copy of a preproduction one or a schematic to get to the right place, and I'm sure they can be churning out dead ringers by the tens of thousands in a matter of days. These aren't space ships, they're little round lumps of metal...

Last edited:

Kataphraktos

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2013
New York, NY
Let it be, then. I'll buy the clones, and live with the fact that I didn't pay for the "real deal". As long as the quality is there, I'm ok with the practice of double-dipping. In fact, I appreciate it.

Curt.

Nice guitar. You don't mind if I "borrow" all your music and use it to make a living? I'm just double dipping. I'm OK with that. In fact, I appreciate it. Thanks!

I criticize such comments only because there are perfectly good cheap mods that do not steal from the designs of others, and in fact have their own innovative design and aesthetic. No excuse for supporting thieves with so many good, reliable devices in the $40-$80 range out there.

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
The high price is partly a function of their rarity. They're called Veblen goods. If they sold more, they'd be less valuable.

But that doesn't mean they're also mass producing them under a different label.

They might be. Who can say? You have no evidence except that they're a) out really quickly and b) pretty much indistinguishable sometimes. It only takes one copy of a preproduction one or a schematic to get to the right place, and I'm sure they can be churning out dead ringers in a matter of days. These aren't space ships, they're little round lumps of metal...

yea but as VJ and a few others have noted - china is slipping up and presenting clones where the real mod is still awaiting release lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread