Status
Not open for further replies.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
I buy it with a logo, unless the logo is tacky. I also stick a vape band on it that says "yes, it's a clone."

Two people buy clones. One person feels better because he/she didn't get one with a logo. The original manufacturer stills feels ripped off by both people.

A friend of mine on this forum owns authentics and clones of a mod and atty, and had both listed in her signature. The manufacturer asked her to remove the reference to the clone in her sig, because she was posting in that manufacturer's thread. She spends $5,000 + on vape equipment yearly. Guess which manufacturer won't be getting her business anymore?

Edit: I should note that she bought the authentic because she liked the clones. She would never have purchased the authentic had she not tried the clones first.

What about the people who buy clones, and then buy authentic accessories for the clones? I've purchased real GPin springs and a 510 adapter for my heron clones and I'm deciding if I should order an erlkonigin 22mm steel tank from the manufacturer. What about IBTanked? If I buy a glass tank for the erlkonigin, am I getting a "clone" just because the original manufacturer also offers a glass tank at triple the price? Where does the line get drawn?
Fail response is fail. How about a ZNA clone?
How about the ZNA clones indeed. Say you send one in to Zen for the upgrade service, and get it back with the authentic DNA 30 that says "ZNA clone" on startup. It is now warrantied by Zen. Is it still a clone? Can it be sold on ECF classifieds? Has the stigma of it being a clone been washed away by the touch of Zen's hands?

Last edited:

GeorgeF

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2014
Taunton, MA, USA
No Logo. Adding a logo of the original authentic is unfair and deceptive. Also, cloning someone else's work is a rip off no matter how cheap.

Would you play and record someone's music and call it them when you yourself where the musician? Even though the music was the exact same but the vocals were off due to different vocal tones? I know I wouldn't buy that.

Would you copy word for word someone's book and try to sell it as them? I believe that is called plagiarism, and it is illegal.

How safe are the materials going it said clones to be so cheap? Are they food or medical grade?

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
No logo - Clone

Clone with logo - counterfeit

Very simplified that though. I mean really, how many ways can one really make a metal tube before similarities crop up? Or even a box mod?
Now when you copy everything right down to the logo and sell half the price or less... counterfeit (and that goes for mechs and vv/vw).

Yeah, that's the way I see it too.

The design is sort of secondary in terms of the recognition of a product. It's the logo that'll fool someone into thinking a Tobh clone is authentic.

My Caravela and Tobh both have no logo. My Nimbus has a logo, but if you compare it to the authentic you'll see it's different. To be honest, I think the Tobh looks far sexier logo-less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread