Status
Not open for further replies.

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
Just started tinkering with coil control and information is a bit sketchy. Obviously, provape has some trade secrets in how it works but we can still get a bit of a user guide going.

So far I've only tried it with my kabuki and a 1.8 coil. Type G works setting 1 seems to be the best so far. I'm assuming aspire uses nichrome wire but can't confirm it.

Going to try build on my kayfuns next. What build have you guys tried?

Reactions: jwbnyc

Peter_C

Who?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2013
Akron, Ohio
www.facebook.com
I asked over in another Provape thread when it was both mentioned and linked, and I was completely ignored (surprised me). The link provided stated that "CC" worked with stock coils with the Kabuki and gave suggested starting settings.

I asked what exactly "CC" was for, as it sounded like you either set 'watts' or 'CC' on your Radius, but not both - it was an either or? So, how is it any different than choosing 'volts' or 'watts' on a 'P2', I wonder?

Watts takes into account how the olms of a coil can change over time, where volts doesn't - I can only *assume* that 'CC' takes one more step into monitoring the state of the coil while vaping and adjusting the temp/heat accordingly? (just guessing, since no one wanted to let me in on the secret?)...

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
I asked over in another Provape thread when it was both mentioned and linked, and I was completely ignored (surprised me). The link provided stated that "CC" worked with stock coils with the Kabuki and gave suggested starting settings.

I asked what exactly "CC" was for, as it sounded like you either set 'watts' or 'CC' on your Radius, but not both - it was an either or? So, how is it any different than choosing 'volts' or 'watts' on a 'P2', I wonder?

Watts takes into account how the olms of a coil can change over time, where volts doesn't - I can only *assume* that 'CC' takes one more step into monitoring the state of the coil while vaping and adjusting the temp/heat accordingly? (just guessing, since no one wanted to let me in on the secret?)...

I don't have a radius yet, and I have not read this, but I looked on Provape's site and found nothing, so I did a google search and I found this, I hope it helps. :)

http://www.provape.com/v/images/ccmanual.pdf

KAS

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
I don't have a radius yet, and I have not read this, but I looked on Provape's site and found nothing, so I did a google search and I found this, I hope it helps. :)

KAS

That's what I started with but its not very in depth and I think that has to partly do with the rush to beat the FDA deadline. I'd like to know more on how it works myself.

I've now tried all the types and settings for my 1.8 kabuki and didn't notice much difference but I didn't get any errors either. It doesn't seem to monitor anything but power level. However, if it's a kanthal coil then it may be that cc is just not working as it should.

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
That is the one link that I've read ... well. So I guess we all know the same thing. I'd have thought that someone here would know the PROs and CONs of this VS watts to the tiniest detail by now. Usually knowing everything prior to release, right? Hehe...

Provape hasn't done a release like this without full info available on functionality. I blame the FDA for forcing the rush to beat their stupid deeming deadline for the lack of full testing provape usually does.

That's why I started the thread. Us users are going to have to step up and help out. I've got a few different wire types on order to play with and also planning on getting a calix and kf5.

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
Subscribed. :)

I've only tried one Temp Control mod in TC mode -- and it's simply too hot for me. But, I'm a very low watts vaper, more interested if a device will step down--which many do not, or don't do well.

I did upgrade a Radius to CC, but haven't even tried the CC option, simply staying with my tried and true watts on my nauti's.:blush:

I'm hoping some chatter may inspire me as I think the general concept of temperature control could be an excellent feature for more than just sub-ohm setups. Has there even been a review anywhere on CC?

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Provape hasn't done a release like this without full info available on functionality. I blame the FDA for forcing the rush to beat their stupid deeming deadline for the lack of full testing provape usually does.

That's why I started the thread. Us users are going to have to step up and help out. I've got a few different wire types on order to play with and also planning on getting a calix and kf5.
The total lack of any info and interaction from the mothership on this feature gave me pause, I did not load it into my Radius but am interested to see if I am missing anything, so thanks for the thread, I hope some good info comes forward from it.

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
Subscribed. :)

I've only tried one Temp Control mod in TC mode -- and it's simply too hot for me. But, I'm a very low watts vaper, more interested if a device will step down--which many do not, or don't do well.

I did upgrade a Radius to CC, but haven't even tried the CC option, simply staying with my tried and true watts on my nauti's.:blush:

I'm hoping some chatter may inspire me as I think the general concept of temperature control could be an excellent feature for more than just sub-ohm setups. Has there even been a review anywhere on CC?

No reviews I can find yet. Maybe Phil is working on one, but who knows. It's going to take a while for me to work on different builds with different wire and I don't even have most of the tanks available.

Hopefully other will chime in with what they have. I did find out that the Herakles coils are pure kanthal which is why they don't work. Same with Kanger subtank non TC coils.

iBloke

Verified Member
May 25, 2016
The Lan Dow Nunda
G'day All
waving_smiley.gif

As a cuppla you know I received my new Radius last week and have been over the moon happy with it.

Being a natural tinker and someone who wants to know how stuff works I quickly updated it to software version 40CC to try out the coil control (which has so far proven to be Provape's version of temp control. But we all guessed that anyway lol)

Firstly just an FYI, I'd been having burnt flavour problems with my Kabuki and put it down to a bad batch of coils, and maybe the viscosity of my 50/50 juice not wicking fast enough to keep up.
I always prime and break-in my coils as per the expert recommendations here, and keep the watts within the suggested range.

My first attempt to use CC was done using the suggested settings in the Provape CC quick start guide
Which shows this chart
IMG_0862_zpshkig71hw.jpeg

There are 9 menu selections ranging from A to I, and each one has 7 level choices giving a total of 63 "temperature" adjustments.

What is unknown is what the lowest, and highest temperature actually is.
And how much each increment adjusts the temp by....although my wild guess would be roughly 2.5 to 5 degrees Celsius.
dunno.gif

Anyway, I set my Radius/Kabuki combination at the recommend G setting and started with level 1, the lowest temp in the G range but found the vaping experience to Not be very good overall and there was a mild burnt flavour, so I quickly switched back to watts mode.

Curiosity got the better of me though, and I ended up trying the CC mode again, but this time working my way up through the letters and number from A1 and arrived at a really nice balance of flavour and vape warmth at F3 or F4 depending on the wildly varying ambient temps in my shipping container (where I live temporarily during a messy divorce)

I've been pretty much chain vaping since, and refilled my Kabuki a few times.
It's been the most usage I've had from a nautilus BVC coil since I replaced the original the Kabuki came with, and I'm 99% sure it would still be going strong if I hadn't accidentally let the juice level get too low and run the coil dry in the dark while watching netflix at some ridiculous hour this morning
doh.gif

So, new coil installed and I'm up and running again using CC mode because my gut feeling is it will give me better coil life, and so far more consistent flavour than I've been getting using wattage mode.

AND as and added bonus my battery is lasting a LOT longer! Still showing full after a whole afternoon heavy vaping :thumbs:

Last edited:

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
I'm surprised to see the STM with the SSOCC coils on the list due to the fact that the wire is nichrome not Stainless Steel. But hey, if it works, it works. Cheers.

Vape360 did say they wanted it to work with as many wire types as possible. Ni200 is the main wire for temp sensing in non gas pressure differential sensors. I'm getting some nichrome 60 and 80 to play with soon so I'll see what happens.

Reactions: iBloke
Repost from the Radius thread:

Finally I have successfully got CC to work, 28G stainless steel 316L wire, 8 wraps around a 2,4mm screwdriver spaced, 0,96 ohm, in a Kayfun mini V3, CC adjusted to i - 4, the wape and taste is great. I have tried before with Titanium wire with no success at all.

iBloke

Verified Member
May 25, 2016
The Lan Dow Nunda
*update*

After using CC on and off for a little while now with my Kabuki and 3 different coils, being Aspire nautilus BVC, both 1.6ohm and 1.8ohm versions, and Triton mini 1.2ohm coils, I've had Very inconsistent results overall.

New coils seem to work ok for a short while, and then I start getting random error messages telling me I need to switch to watts mode.

I only own 3 tanks, and three mods. A Kanger Kbox mini (junk), a Provape Procyon, and Radius.
Tanks are Kanger Toptank mini, Kabuki, and Kayfun 5 clone.

I have not yet tried the Kanger tank on my Radius as I have no usable TC coils left. Only the mini RBA deck with Kanthal coil. Kanthal not being compatible with Provapes CC.

My Kayfun clone is also loaded with a kanthal coil, so that only leaves my Kabuki as a CC test pilot.

I had really good results using CC with one particular Aspire BVC coil, but no others have worked for long at all.
The most recent coil, 1.8ohm BVC didn't even last 24 hours before I started getting the dreaded burnt taste, so it got thrown into my ever increasing jar of short lived burnt tasting BVC coils. (no worries though coz I'll rebuild 'em in the future lol)

And just FYI, I use exactly the same DIY juice in all tanks. 50/50 PG VG, 12mg nic, 15% RY4 (recommended for this particular brand RY4 concentrate) so it's apples vs apples from a juice perspective.

NEVER had a burnt flavour from the kanger

NEVER had a burnt flavour from the Kayfun 5 clone

Aspire BVC coils from 3 different 5packs/vendors are hit and miss across the board, in both wattage and CC mode. One will last a few days before tasting burnt, and another will taste burnt in less than a day.
Lowest wattage recommended for the particular coil ohms. (Both Procyon and Radius..so not mod related)
Same juice
scratch.gif

My tanks have been used on all three mods, but mostly on the Provari mods coz the kanger Kbox mini keeps "breaking" and is now retired to holding the door open enough for Brian, my cat, to get in and out of the shed LOL

So. The outcome of my experiments with CC is that when it works it gives me the best flavoured vape I could ask for. And also the vape temperature. I like my vape a little warm and CC gave me the best control of this when it worked.

But the constant inconsistency has pushed me to revert to wattage mode, and use only my Kayfun 5 clone for my daily vape, effectively retiring my beautiful Kabuki, and anything CC could offer, to "occasional other flavour" duty because at $3.50 AUS per Aspire coil and only getting an average of a few days use compared to a couple of cents per Kayfun rebuild which lasts me nearly 2 weeks.

ALL fingers, and toes crossed Provape comes out with a more stable and usable version of CC in the near future, because when it actually works it's fantastic! :)

Peter_C

Who?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2013
Akron, Ohio
www.facebook.com
And, here I am with my Radius, and my Kabuki, using stock BVC coils with one juice (GVC 50/50, 24mg NIC) @ 9watts and I change coils every 6-8 days. I wish I could go longer, but the flavor gets muted and the draw becomes poor. Have yet to try 'CC' yet, as honestly I fear change.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
Repost from the Radius thread:

Finally I have successfully got CC to work, 28G stainless steel 316L wire, 8 wraps around a 2,4mm screwdriver spaced, 0,96 ohm, in a Kayfun mini V3, CC adjusted to i - 4, the wape and taste is great. I have tried before with Titanium wire with no success at all.

I have the exact same setup and used your settings. The vape went off the chart as it seemed like there was a boost of power. It was way to hot. Went back to my 14 watts on my .98 ss build. Maybe I just don't understand how to use the coil control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread