Congressional action on electronic cigarette regulations may save vapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

xhuffer

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
SoCal
A good & positive article by The Hill explaining why the Predicate date needs to be changed.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is in the final stages of announcing a new set of regulations for all electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) and vapor products. Free-market innovation has resulted in significant developments in the number and quality of these tobacco-free products that are helping Americans kick the unhealthiest habit known to man – smoking. The FDA’s proposal, however, threatens the very survival of the vast majority of the vapor product industry.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
A good & positive article by The Hill explaining why the Predicate date needs to be changed.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is in the final stages of announcing a new set of regulations for all electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) and vapor products. Free-market innovation has resulted in significant developments in the number and quality of these tobacco-free products that are helping Americans kick the unhealthiest habit known to man – smoking. The FDA’s proposal, however, threatens the very survival of the vast majority of the vapor product industry.
According to the article, it looks like Tuesday (tomorrow), the House Appropriations Committee will be dealing with whether or not to add an amendment to the spending bill that would change the February 2007 predicate date.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
Follow the money.

I've not smoked for years now, but the reason stupid grandfather dates and all the rest annoy me is because it means that people that try to stop smoking after me will not have access to the same devices and products that i used.

It's nothing short of disgraceful that probably the best innovation to help smoker's stop is treated this way when it really ought to be sung from the rooftops and supported by every agency going.

My wife still uses the nicotine and likely will forever (she's very stubborn), but we really ought not have to become pirates of contraband with chest freezers full of ingredients to stop a habit that is legal in the first place.

T

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
Follow the money indeed ...

As cigarette sales shrink, so do tobacco settlement payouts to states

"This year, for fiscal year 2016, the states will collect over $25 billion from the settlement and tobacco taxes combined — all tobacco-related revenue," said John Schachter, a spokesman for the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids. "And yet they've budgeted less than 2 percent of that — not even $500 million for tobacco prevention and cessation programs."

"The number of people smoking has been decreasing by 4 to 5 percent yearly for a decade now," said Jim Estes, a professor of finance at California State University, San Bernardino. "The feeling is a lot of the tobacco bonds that were issued will basically have no money to sustain them after 2026, 2024 — depends on the stat you're looking at."

In the meantime, Estes said, some regions have begun taxing vaping and e-cigarettes as a way to raise revenue. "

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Today I saw a woman I hadn't seen for 6 months who still smokes. She's got some vape gear, struggling to use it. She did not look as well as the last time I saw her. It was painful, heart wrenching. I used to say 'my government'. Now I just say 'the government'.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The US House Appropriations Committee has approved (34-19) Rep. Tom Cole’s amendment to prevent FDA from banning >99.9% of nicotine vapor products via the Deeming Regulation.

We still need to convince the US Senate Appropriations Cmte to do the same.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Oh dang! I'm really confused. The Cole-Bishop amendment to the Agriculture Appropriations bill for 2017 just got approved 34-19. Now the Senate Appropriations Cmte must approve this same amendment?.......Then there's HR 2058 that must be passed?........And, wouldn't a similar Senate bill have to be passed? AND, once the Senate bill is passed, THEN the Pres. signs it? ........What year are we shooting for? :)

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Thanks, nicnik. I do understand that this passage of the Cole-Bishop amendment is NOT dependent on HR 2058.......BUT an HR 2058 must be passed too? At least CASSA is asking us not to stop our efforts in getting it passed. :)
Because this might not pass. HR 2058 needs to stay alive.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
O-o-oh shoot! Yes indeed. Gotcha! A two pronged attack. Do we have any "sappers" under the wall? :)

Very much so. Since the original bill H.R. 2058, introduced by Congressman Tom Cole into the House of Representatives in April 2015, seemed to be stuck in committee for a very long time, Rep. Robert Aderholt introduced a rider to the 2016 Agricultural Spending Bill in the House Appropriations Committee that, just like the Cole bill, would prohibit FDA from enforcing the February 15, 2007 Grandfather Date. So yes, this is indeed a second bite at that rotten apple of the deeming regs.
wink.gif

:nun:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Reactions: LaraC
Status
Not open for further replies.