Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortstuff116

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Bellingham, MA
I've been reading the forums for awhile to get prepared for the switch and to help me today as I make the switch. What a change. I do notice that many of the people that post here have these squares at the bottom of their posts that say how long they are smoke free, how much they have saved and how many cigarettes they have avoided. Where do they get those?

You'll have to have a minimum of 15 posts before you can add anything to your signature line. Once you do have 15 posts (or more) just click on anyones quit smoking meter and it should take you to the website that has them for you to use.

:thumb:

LittleLuLu

Dec 27, 2009
Missouri
I was diagnosed with COPD 2 years ago. I had been smoking 1 - 1 1/2 packs a day for 38 years, I had quit smoking a month or two prior to the test using Chantix, that lasted for 1 1/2 years although I always had strong cravings. I then became quite depressed and started smoking again because I just didn't care. I had a severe cough prior to quitting which went away after I quit. After I started again, at about 2-3 months the cough returned big time again, I was smoking about 1/2 pack a day. I then tried quitting again with the help of nicotine gum, I cut down to 2 or 3 cigarettes a day and chewed the gum, but the gum always upset my stomach, but I continued. I then saw an add for Smoke51 and gave it a try, I liked them but they were so expensive. I then discovered this forum and ordered a 510 and that literally changed my life. I have been completely analog free now for about 3 1/2 months, the cough has almost completely gone away, I only cough now when I get phlegm in my throat which happens when I vape PG liquid, but am very happy with the pv. I frequently forget to use my maintenance inhaler and am not sure I really need it now. I still get out of breath easily with heavy exersion, but I feel much better and the depression is under control. I still take antidepressants as I have most of my life.

Hope you have good things happen with your pv, I'm sure you'll feel much better.

Yep, I would do well to remember that I have some bad days, too. Usually after a really good one. Why do I always put the peddle to the metal? When I feel good I tend to over do it and then pay for it. If I could moderate better I might not have this illness. But yeah - I am far from cured, but it is amazing how well I feel without the smoking.

My second day in the hospital I was at the sink washing my face and I asked the nurse if they were giving me any medicine to make me look flushed and she told me that is just what I look like with oxygen in my blood. :lol:

Thanks for the encouragement! I hope you continue to do well, too.

JD-Bama

Dec 29, 2009
Huntsville, Al
Yeah, forgot about those - I tried that when I lived in Canada and they were over the counter. More fail, more doom!!

So glad you are hanging in and cancer free! This is just me being nosey, but did you go from analog to e-cig or from NRT to e-cig?

Thanks You..
I have a bunch of old nocotrol inhalers still in the blister packs.. I'm going to try taking the filling out of them and see if they work in an e-cig..I think they are about 10mg of nicotine with 4mg delivered..

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
That's so great LittleLuLu! It's always good to read stories of e-cigs making quiting easy for someone! I think most everyone here can relate. Good luck and I hope to hear more positive progress as you take this journey.

I moved your thread to the "Health" forum in hopes you get more exposure.

Welcome to the forum.

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
I have COPD and about 2 years ago was in the hospital on a ventilator for 11 days. I had several compications including pneumonia, congestive heart failure and my kidneys were failing. The doctor told my husband he did not think I would survive. But I did and was in the hospital another 2 weeks.I did not smoke the whole time I was in the hospital. Immediately following discharge I bought a pack of cigarettes and started smoking again. How stupid can anyone get. I suffered another year coughing everytime I smoked and not being able to catch my breath. I would wheeze all the time and was on Proventil and Ipranthropin treatments. Then I found Ecigs. I never expected to quit smoking but I was satistfied with the ecig. No one ever though I would quit smoking.

Now I can breathe with ease and have no coughing at all. I no longer have to use breathing treatment and have no wheezing. My doctor said my lungs sound better than they have in years. I know I will always have COPD with at least I can function with it now thanks to ecigs.

Everyone on the forum provides encouragement and understanding.

LittleLuLu

Dec 27, 2009
Missouri
At 54 and 36+ years of smoking I have never been "diagnosed" with COPD but as someone already said, I probably do have it to some degree, so I cannot comment about the condition with any authority or experience but...

Christmas day last week I got a call informing me that my oldest sister of 65 was in the hospital. She has COPD and has been smoking heavily for her whole life. Long story short, they said she was about as close as you can get from either going directly to the emergency room or going to the morgue. She spent 4 days in the hospital and came home with the patch Monday. I spoke with her yesterday and she assured me she has not had any cigarettes at all and mentioned a few good things she's already noticing about her breathing getting better, not as out of breath climbing stairs, etc.

She is very much like myself, someone who really enjoyed smoking although she did it too heavily for too long. She has been kinda following my progress of using a PV over the past 55 days (I quit analogs on day one) and is now showing more interest than ever in trying mine and learning what they are all about. I immediately considered buying her a starter kit (Joye 510) and have it mailed to her house, but I want to see how she does with the patch. In a couple of weeks she'll be visiting us (she lives a distance from us) and if by then she did sneak in an analog or two (or more) then I'll be hooking her up with her own PV.

There's been no clinical studies, no trials, no evidence whatsoever to suggest anything either good or bad about PV's, only what we have all experienced. So it would not be right for me to suggest to her that it would be better for her in any way, except if in fact she cannot stop smoking analogs once again. That's when I'll step in and at least tell her everything I know and give her the alternative of a PV.

So, for anyone here who has been diagnosed with COPD, I know that I would be very interested to know your personal experience using a PV whether it be good or bad. Actually, where else can anyone go to learn about first-hand experience with PV's than right here on these forums.

Keep us updated on your experiences!

:thumb:

I'm sorry. I overlooked your post.

I plan to stay in this thread and truly hope the rest of us will, too. You are right. Where else can a person go to learn these things, if not right here. There really is nowhere else.

There are some good success stories in here already. I would like to see more from people who have been vaping a long time. I want to hear from the ones maybe aren't so successful, too - but I guess they wouldn't be here anymore? Bummer.

Someone mentioned this not being the place for medical advice - maybe here, maybe in another thread. I totally agree, but as I mentioned I didn't even tell my Dr about the e-cigs yet. Unless or until I educate him, I know what he will say. Of course quitting finally and forever is the BEST option - but - um - those people aren't in this forum :) We are the ones who either can't or won't and I think we need the benefit of each other's experiences. Already it is helping me a lot.

I think this is an amazing community. Thanks y'all.

LLL

Valkerie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2009
Lincoln Park, NJ
... I didn't even tell my Dr about the e-cigs yet. Unless or until I educate him, I know what he will say.

LLL

You'd be surprised. I started getting sick right before I made the transition to e-cigs after smoking for 32 years. I've been in and out of doctor's offices, testing labs and the hospital. Where it says on the forms, do you smoke? I've been scratching out cigarette and putting in e-cigarette.

Everyone has had questions. I tell them what it is...then tell them it's not FDA approved. Many technicians and nurses are smokers and I wind up passing out business cards for the person I get my supplies from.

The Doctors are all excited, until they find out it's not FDA approved, which means they can't give it out to patients or even recommend it without the threat of a lawsuit in case something happens.

Since my surgery, I've recovered much faster than I would have, if I'd been smoking. The minor cold I have now, would have been totally debilitating.

Talk to your doctors...you never know.

LittleLuLu

Dec 27, 2009
Missouri
Katmar I'm going to study up on the D3. I have never heard of it. & six months! I like the sound of that. Thanks for the kind words of support and encouragement.

Martha1014 - I know how you feel. I have done that too when I almost died of pneumonia. It was the first thing I did. It was one of the best cigarettes of my life actually and one of the worst. I was totally free of the nic, you would have thought I could have done it.

How long have you been on the e-cig? Are you analog free? Do you still take your COPD meds or are you off them? I really hope I can get off mine someday. I'll be RICH! (After I pay the hospital bill off - ouch!)

Is anyone gaining weight? I have been readiing up on my medications and at least one of them could be causing weight gain. I don't feel like I have been eating all that much more - at least not like the time I gained 16 pounds in 16 days. Another FAIL! I have gained 12 pounds in 7 weeks. I am hoping the e-cig might curb the hand to mouth thing and keep me from having a whole brand new reason to not be able to walk. sigh . . .

LLL

LittleLuLu

Dec 27, 2009
Missouri
Thanks You..
I have a bunch of old nocotrol inhalers still in the blister packs.. I'm going to try taking the filling out of them and see if they work in an e-cig..I think they are about 10mg of nicotine with 4mg delivered..

LOL - be sure to provide the update to that one. Mine are so old I don't dare do anything but throw them out. I once stuck on a very expired nicotine patch and boy did I ever get a reaction.

@Joker = Thanks!

Raven1

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2009
Akron, OH USA
You'd be surprised. I started getting sick right before I made the transition to e-cigs after smoking for 32 years. I've been in and out of doctor's offices, testing labs and the hospital. Where it says on the forms, do you smoke? I've been scratching out cigarette and putting in e-cigarette.

Everyone has had questions. I tell them what it is...then tell them it's not FDA approved. Many technicians and nurses are smokers and I wind up passing out business cards for the person I get my supplies from.

The Doctors are all excited, until they find out it's not FDA approved, which means they can't give it out to patients or even recommend it without the threat of a lawsuit in case something happens.

Since my surgery, I've recovered much faster than I would have, if I'd been smoking. The minor cold I have now, would have been totally debilitating.

Talk to your doctors...you never know.

Doctors are much more sympathetic to e-cigs than you might think. They want more studies done on e-cigs as a viable alternative to tobacco. Unfortunately, the FDA is in the pockets of big tobacco and big pharmaceutical companies, who make millions off of cigarettes and nicotine neplacement therapy products, and the Feds get tons of tax revenue in return. We are in the minority here. We need this movement to take off in a big way. And we need a lobbying group!:D

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
LLL,
I have read through a ton of threads and have found that healing continues for years.
As far as vitamin D3 it is not a vitamin at all but a steroid hormone. Most of us are lacking in it. The studies are truly incredible. i am in a study for people with MS taking large doses, and am amazed at how well we are doing. It won't cure the disease, but it is tackling so many symptoms, we have been able to cut WAY back on standard meds.
The studies on how it helps lung function are great, too. Make sure you check it out, get a D3 test done, (the proper one is 25 (OH) hydroxy test). The old standard levels for normal are WAY too low.
Between the D and vaping, I am doing my lungs a HUGE favor. And I sure feel the difference.

Raven1

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2009
Akron, OH USA
LLL,
I have read through a ton of threads and have found that healing continues for years.
As far as vitamin D3 it is not a vitamin at all but a steroid hormone. Most of us are lacking in it. The studies are truly incredible. i am in a study for people with MS taking large doses, and am amazed at how well we are doing. It won't cure the disease, but it is tackling so many symptoms, we have been able to cut WAY back on standard meds.
The studies on how it helps lung function are great, too. Make sure you check it out, get a D3 test done, (the proper one is 25 (OH) hydroxy test). The old standard levels for normal are WAY too low.
Between the D and vaping, I am doing my lungs a HUGE favor. And I sure feel the difference.

So you cannot get this OTC? Darn. I'll look it up though...I have a loved one that has Parkinson's and Rheumatoid Arthritis, perhaps there may be some benefit.

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
Raven 1,
ABSOLUTELY over the counter. WE all process about 5000ius of d3 per day. In our diets, we are lucky to get anywhere near 1000, more likely way less. I always suggest you get your levels checked, so you know how much you need. You can safely take 2000ius without any test. But you want to know where your levels stand, so that you can reach an optimal. Normal levels are ok,, but at optimal you will feel benefits more. Normal is around 35-50. Optimal is around 80-100. Most of us are below that.
And,YES, vitamin d3 can help RA. It is proven.
Another one of those secrets Big Pharma is trying to sit on. No money in it, because it is very cheap.
Make sure you get D3!!!

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
Valkerie, Katmar and Raven1
LOL - Ok, Ok! I will tell my Dr on my next appt. in one month!

Is the D3 test a blood test? I might be able to get it added to the one I am to take before my next appt.

Yes, it is. It should be a routine test, but isn't. Make sure you request it, and request the one I said. It is the only one that gives a TRUE D3 reading.

Raven 1, You are welcome. I have been studying D3 for a year, and belong to a study group, so, any questions, I will be glad to try and answer.
Also, helps with depression. And, believe me, I know depression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread