Coughing from vaping

Discussion in 'Health, Safety and Vaping' started by jimson, Aug 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. jimson

jimson Full Member ECF Veteran

Vaping makes me cough, smoking does not.

It's not a long term symptom, just when I inhale the vapor, I cough.

Thought it might be due to nic levels and so tried a 0 nic liquid, still coughed.

I'm using a 50-50 mix, so now I need to start experimenting with the mix.

Which is more likely to cause coughing, PG or VG?

Anyone else experience this and were you able to solve it?

2. Anima

Anima Senior Member ECF Veteran

I experienced this when I went from a 90/10 PG/VG mix to a 50/50 mix. It was just like your problem - I coughed while vaping. I'm back to 90/10 and am no longer having the problem. I will add the caveat that a sensitivity to VG seems to be reported less frequently here than a sensitivity to PG.

3. Elphaba13

Elphaba13 Moved On ECF Veteran

I had this problem the first few weeks of vaping. Only coughing when I vaped. Then it just went away. How long have you been vaping?

4. jj2

jj2 ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    If you're using a three piece model, you're using a cartridge. Inside the thing that looks like an analog filter there is a liquid cart. Take it out. Cut out a small piece out of paper towel (preferable white) the shape of the top of that cart. Get that small piece wet (distilled water) and then put it on top of the filler, put the cart back in the thing that looks like the filter and try it.
    This has to be repeated several times.

It helps (sometimes).

If you're using a two piece model this will not work. :(

5. jimson

Been experimenting for a couple of years now but only recently tried to get serious about it.

This coughing issue is keeping me from it.

Not sure I understand about the piece of paper towel trick.

Does that go between the filler and the atomizer or between the filler and me?

6. Crewsader

Crewsader Full Member

My experience with coughing was usually because I was still on analogs. When my smoking friends try an e cig they ALWAYS cough. Was just wondering if your still on the analogs too?

7. incantius

incantius Ultra Member ECF Veteran

coughing is sometimes caused by trying to inhale like you did with an analog...PVs aren't the same and you'll have to adjust your draw...long, slow & steady rather than the analog quick puff...

8. Debian Dog

Debian Dog Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I cough once in a while when I vape. I think because it "dries you out" more than a cig does. You may try adjusting your PV/VG ratios as some people are more sensitive to one or the other.

9. jimson

Yep, still smoking analogs.

With the PV, I take the most shallow drags just to avoid coughing

My coughing problem seems more extreme than anything my vaping friends experience, even those who still smoke, so I am going to experiment with the mixtures and see if that is part of the problem

10. Robin Macri

Robin Macri Super Member ECF Veteran

My friend who smokes coughs every time she tries to vape.I think her lungs just cant take it.I have been trying to get her to quit analogs for over a year.The sad part of this is her mother has throat cancer. I think your coughing will go away when you quit the cigs.Good luck, I hope you solve your problem.Vaping saved my life.

11. Ralikar

Ralikar Moved On ECF Veteran

Maybe consider trying another company for juice? My throat and sinuses are way better on JC juice than they were using (crappy) Smoketip cartos, WOW samplers (which tore my sinuses/throat up) and Bloog cartos and some LF juice. Lots of posts here about good qc juice companies.

12. cheeple

cheeple Full Member

I cough sometimes but it's more cause it like tickles my throat.

13. NanoVapor

NanoVapor Registered Supplier ECF Veteran

Cheeple, do you speak of the weird "powdery" tickle in the back of your throat and odd slightly cool sensation in the very upper airway followed by no apparent pain or irritation thereafter coughing? When ive gotten this its the result of either too much flavoring % in the mixture (try different vendor or flavor perhaps), or its the result of a bad flavoring choice to begin with (some flavors suck for vaping and are prone to this powdery tickle/cough - dont know how else to describe it).

When coughing is related to nicotine %, the cough feels like a very deep piercing into the lungs, really like a knife and it makes you cough while also rocking your noggin (you usually feel wobbly for a few seconds). This sort of cough can be resolved by lowering the nicotine %, OR, just toughing it out with more conservative puffs as a tolerance will rapidly accumulate to this.

Im unsure of what indicators there are for a PG/VG related cough as ive never encountered coughing or any noticeable feeling whatsoever from even 100% PG or 100% VG or any blend there inbetween. Without nicotine or certain flavors its like inhaling air to me. With no nicotine but excess amounts of flavor, its the powdery dry throat tickle, with too much nicotine its knives to the lungs :)

14. HzG8rGrl

HzG8rGrl Trippy Tip Hoarder Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I coughed in the beginning. It should go away soon. You are introducing something unfamiliar to your lungs and therefor you cough in the beginning. This is how it was explained to me and it seems to have been true for me.
    What I did for a while was to take shorter draws and only into my mouth, then inhale slowly. It helped a bit. Seems to be a few that have some great ways to try and alleviate the cough.
    Good Luck and persevere.

15. SloHand

SloHand Eh? Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    NanoVapor, Love your descriptions. I have the 'too much flavor' cough by your description. Being Canadian as well you know that supply is iffy. I tried to order from afar to start my own mixing but never got the package. Spending a ton o cash now trying to find a Canadian supplier with a vape I can live with. I'll have to add yours to my list.

: bloog
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.