current rating of eVic fire switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janusxvii

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
I am currently working on a project based around the electronics in an eVic. It is going to be a small desktop unit housing the batteries, charging port, display and menu control switches. The actual vaping will be done on a modified ego body that is wired to the desktop box (all the electronics and battery from the ego will be removed). The only thing holding me up is finding a suitable switch to mount inside the ego for use as a fire button. Specifically, I don't know what the current rating needs to be in order to do this. One option is to just unsolder the switch from the evic and mount it onto a board inside the ego. I would like to avoid doing this though and would much prefer getting a different switch and soldering the wires from it to the pads that the stock swich is already mounted to. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Janusxvii

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
Thank you for the link, I had completely forgotten to check Madvapes. I was looking on Digikey and having a hard time narrowing my search. Now I just need to figure out how many amps I need it to be rated for. I see a few that would be the perfect size, but they are rated for 50 mA and I don't know if that will be high enough. Any thoughts?

kaddigart

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2013
Insomniville
You can use any switch if you wire a resistor and capacitor into the circuit.

Whether or not a low current switch will work depends entirely on how much current your putting through it. I've used a low rated switch like that on a 5v mod and it lasted about a month before dying. 3a is the general accepted rating for VV and 3.7v+ mods.

The e-whatever switches are pretty much just tactile types.

Janusxvii

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
Yeah, I could do that if it came to it. I've been using 3A minimum as a general rule for the other components, however I haven't been able to find a 3A switch that is small enough to fit into the ego. I have a support ticket open with Madvapes for a 1A switch to get some dimensional info. If it will fit I'll probably try that one. Since the switch on the evic controls both the firing of the atomizer and the menu system I am making an assumption that the power to the atomizer isn't flowing directly through it. I would imagine that the current rating of the stock switch probably is in the milliamp range so I would feel safe using something rated for 1A. Has anyone ever done a mod using the electronics from an evic before? It seems like a worthwhile platform to work with given the menu system and upgradable firmware. I was considering using a DNA20 but figured this would be more interesting (also I'm pretty content vaping around 8.5W so I'd never use most of it's available power.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread