Cutting Teeth (literally)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CptJYossarian

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2014
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I want to remove the air flow control "teeth" on my tobh atty. How would you guys go about doing this? I don't have lots of heavy duty tools to work with...a drill, files, sand paper (lol), and anything else I can get my hands on around the house. I'm obviously willing to buy some new stuff, but I'm on a fiarly tight budget so buying a high end metal cutting powerhouse isn't really an option.

So how would you fellas do this?

sinnersaint138

Sep 20, 2014
buy a dremel tool. They are very versatile in what they can do, and you can get one fairly cheap. Or you can always just go at it with a file til you wear the teeth off it, then sand it out. As small as the tobh is I wouldn't want to do it without a dremel though. I've considered going this with my tobh clone, but decided the teeth don't get in my way enough to warrant the effort. Good luck on your modding!

k702

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
lost wages, sin city, NV
buy a dremel tool. They are very versatile in what they can do, and you can get one fairly cheap. Or you can always just go at it with a file til you wear the teeth off it, then sand it out. As small as the tobh is I wouldn't want to do it without a dremel though. I've considered going this with my tobh clone, but decided the teeth don't get in my way enough to warrant the effort. Good luck on your modding!

seconded. A dremel could be 60% of your toolbox for a lot of things if needed.

Norrin

Aug 29, 2014
Shetland
Yes I just got a Dremel because my drill is on it's last legs and I though I would give it a go even though I always thought it was just a gimmicky thing that wouldn't do half the things a drill can do. Due to it's size and the fact you can totally control it with one hand it's totally brilliant and all those stupid cutting, grinding, buffing, polishing..............jobs are a breeze. Still need a drill for drilling, but the Dremel will do everything else. I feel so stupid for not getting one years ago :facepalm:

OH you'll want to get a decent set/amount of bits, I bought a cheap one and it does OK, but everything wears down quicker than the original Dremel bits, so you either wants lots of cheap bits or some expensive ones from Dremel. Because of the price difference though I would say the lots of cheap stuff is better in the long run.

Last edited:

CptJYossarian

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2014
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Dremmel it is. I found a whole bunch for sale on the local craigslist, ranging about 50 $ CDN. Does that seem fair to you guys? I'm going to be buying the flat blade for cutting and a few of the sanding ones to make the job real nice and professional looking. Also this will work well for my future wood stand for holding my mods and attys...heh.

Well that resolves it I suppose! Will post back when I get the dremel and the attachments and do the deed (with pics, of course).

Quick side question to you fellas that do own a dremel: is there some attatchment that would possibly let me bore out the juice channels of something such as a Kayfun? Thanks so much dudes!

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
2014-09-13_14-53-05_971.jpg
Here is my tobh with the afc tabs removed.

CptJYossarian

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2014
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
View attachment 376005
Here is my tobh with the afc tabs removed.

That's beaaauuuuutiful! Which cut off blades and grinder attachments did you use exactly? I'm still fairly new to metal working but I realize that the bits you use make a UNIVERSE of difference (ie: first time I drilled a SS top cap I used a titanium bit...next time a cobalt bit. The cobalt was literally 100 times better).

I ended up getting a used dremel 275 from craigslist for 30 $...gonna buy the attachments sometime next week I think. Could one use this thing to make airholes as well? I've been using my hand drill but the accuracy is...wanting. Partly because of my inexperience with power tools but also because of walking bits and such (gonna make a post about this later actually...)

CptJYossarian

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2014
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Finally got some time yesterday, and I did it you guys!! Man, thanks for suggesting the dremel everyone. Worked like a charm, and was done in about 5 minutes. Also got rid of the even more obnoxious teeth on my asMODus (such a joy to build on now!) and modified one of the caps for a plume I have more some more ridiculous cloud chasing (unfortunately I was also trying to drill out hose side holes and broke a bit...in each one...so I needa get a new clone now aha).

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions!

imgur: the simple image sharer

Also drilled the post holes out of the tobh. Tried drilling a new hole in the asMODus, but that thing is too much a tank. Broke a bit...lol...

EDIT: how do you rename links...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread