Department of transportation rule would prohibit use of e-cigarettes on airlines

Discussion in 'Law and the E-Cigarette' started by crashinbrn, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. crashinbrn

crashinbrn Super Member ECF Veteran

found this today

2. TUS172

TUS172 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Yeah it sounds like a typical lazy bureaucratic interpretation... Call it a cigarette and it is not allowed. No research, lots of misunderstanding and final judgment without consulting anyone who knows anything about it. Based on the assumption that it would offend those others on the aircraft who know nothing about what an E-cigarette is. It looks like smoke therefore it is evil, nasty and will harm everyone in the compartment.

3. AngelsRUs

AngelsRUs Super Member ECF Veteran

Why is it that they focus so much on cigarettes and/or vaping? I find it slightly ludicrous that alcohol creates quite a stench in the air and that is allowed and there are plenty of people who get belligerent while drinking...I'm not against people drinking either just wondering why one is allowed and the other demonized.

4. cigarbabe

cigarbabe Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Does anyone involved in rule making have one iota of common sense or rational thought?
    Seriously it sure doesn't seem that way and this is happening from the government on down to website owners.
    I honestly cannot understand why being rational or sensible is so hard to implement whatever someone is involved in.
    C.B.
    [​IMG]

5. KeysBum

KeysBum Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Take the survey at the Huffington post.

Survey

6. Vocalek

Vocalek CASAA Activist ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Better yet, let your voice be heard directly by the DOT.

CASAA has posted a Call to Action that contains a direct link to the form where the public can enter comments. CASAA.org

Comments must be submitted by Novermber 14, 2011.

7. KimberlyM

KimberlyM Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

This is really one part of the proposed "ban" that I am not sure I have a big problem with. Face it - you havent been able to smoke on an airline in years. We managed to do just fine on flights before e-cigs. Also, there is generally some smell associated with e-cigs. In an enclosed space with recirculated air it might bother others. I always was a considerate smoker and try to be a considerate e-cig user. Although I HATE to fly - and think my e-cig could improve the experience - I will just wait till I land.

8. Sno

Sno Full Member

Well at least it'll be considerably easier to get away with vaping in the bathroom then smoking is.

9. KeysBum

KeysBum Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I literally am on 8 different flights every month commuting from my home in the FL Keys to my office in LA. I vape on every flight. BUT, to avoid problems, I don't billow vapor. I hold it then blow it down my shirt or into the blanket. 9 months of doing this on AA (already banned on AA). Only once did I have a FA say anything. The rules may suck and we should fight them. But if you're cool about it you can get away with it.

10. sheik124

sheik124 Senior Member ECF Veteran

I posted this in another airline thread, but is it that tough to go to the lav and vape? The sink drain does a nice job of drawing all the vapor out of the bathroom.

If it's a US flight, it's 3 hrs long max, one or two trips to vape, if it's transatlantic, well, you could use the walking anyways, DVT/leg clots aren't fun.

11. hoogie76

hoogie76 Forum Supplier ECF Veteran

Last flight I took, I was discreet, but the key lime freeze I was vaping must have had a little scent when the flight attendants walked by me. When I went to use the lav at the back of the plane the flight attendants asked me if I was vaping and about e-cigs and how they worked. I happened to have 5 or 10 starter kits in my carry-on. I gave out starter kits to the flight attendants who were all happily sneaking puffs in the back of the plane near where they prep the food stuff. Some took kits home to give to thier spouses. I got a lot of free drinks on that flight :)

I can see the logic in what DOT wants to do and how a billowing cloud of vapor and the scent could be alarming or offensive to some passengers but even if passed it won't stop me from discreetly vaping or using the lav for a few puffs. There are worse smells on an airplane.

hoog

12. pumasforpets

pumasforpets Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

And if you're going to the lav to vape...there are certainly worse smells :unsure:

13. TennDave

TennDave Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Just be careful puffing in the Lav...I tried once w/ our home smoke alarm (suppose to be all vapor right?)...big bellow of vapor and the darn smoke alarm went off!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.