DIY nicotine candy

Status
Not open for further replies.

PakAdayX50

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2009
Macon, GA
Tropical Bob, you remind me of some of my hippie friends of the 60's. They spread the rumor that you could get high by scraping, drying and smoking the insides of banana peels. There was a brief nationwide alarm and proposed governmental effort to limit purchases of bananas. Five pounds from the A&P was considered probable cause. Others of us considered passing the word that you could get off smoking kudzu in hopes the feds would eradicate it. (Those from the south will understand.)

nikomoul

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2009
So far, a recent video would show a man waving smoke out his microwave oven with one hand while the other holds a smoldering plastic tray of hot candies. In the background, the family dog disappears around the corner.

I just tried one of the "good" candies from the newest batch, and the e-liquid had not melted into it, which meant I got a mouthful of raw e-liquid. We all know what that tastes like.

Unbowed and undeterred, I shall continue, fire extinguisher nearby.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jherek

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
Missouri
Hi all,

Concerned about how much money I was spending on Commit lozenges and nicotine gum (I use these NRT when not vaping), I decided to take a chance on this idea.

Yesterday, I made my first home-made nicotine lozenge. Using a tilted pyrex measuring cup, I melted a Ricola honey lemon cough drop in the microwave, then added 2 drops of 24 mg unflavored Dakang vaping fluid, stirring it well with a toothpick. It hardened up in a few minutes. Not all of the drop could be scraped off the bottom of the pyrex, after it had hardened, however, so I lost about 10% of it.

I will paying the craft store a visit to get one of those candy trays.

I can report that these homemade nicotine lozenges work for me. It took about 25 minutes to dissolve, and I could barely taste the nicotine fluid, but I did get that nice burning/tingling sensation on the cheek and gum. I am concerned about ingesting so much sugar, however. What about using sorbitol or mannitol based candies? Would these sugar substitutes be heat stable enough to microwave?

Cost comparison:

4 mg. Commit lozenges: 10 (on sale, and with coupon) to 15 cents per mg. of nicotine.

DIY nic candies/lozenges: cost of candy+ about 3/4 of a cent per mg (using unflavored Dekang from Heaven's Gifts/healthcabin, et al.).

So:

Commit = 40 to 60 cents per 4 mg. lozenge

DIY = 3 cents for the nicotine + 3 cents for a ricola cough drop. = 6 cents per homemade 4 mg. lozenge. :thumbs:

Thank you, Tropical Bob!!

Last edited:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Long time since the first post here. I've continued to try to refine this practice, and it does work as Jherek notes. I've found it best to begin with a hard candy that you already enjoy, whether it's a Luden's Honey-Licorice cough drop or a Werther's Coffee candy.

I waited until each got soft, then dropped e-liquid into each piece. A single drop of 48mg unflavored e-liquid is 2.8mg. So, two drops will give you a strong piece of nicotine candy. Swallowed nicotine will not bother your gastrointestinal system any more than swallowing saliva while using snus or a Stonewall dissolvable.

But the object is to let the candy dissolve slowly in the mouth. That way, maximum absorption will be achieved (the lower intestine will absorb the swallowed nicotine in unimpressive fashion and you'll get no kick at all; you want the mouth membranes to do the bulk of the absorption).

I tried a hard candy recipe from scratch, using snuff as the tobacco. What a disaster! The taste was unbelievably bad. Stick with candies you already like.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Be sure to come back and let us know what you did and how it turned out. Nic gum is a good idea -- but WAY too expensive.

There was a nicotine gum sold in Sweden called Firebreak. I used to order it. But it was still too expensive at $4 a pack and each chiclet had only 1mg of nicotine. So I had to chew four at a time. That really made it expensive.

I will be trying a small batch of nicotine gum first. If I like the results I will scale up. The cost should come out to about 10 cents a piece at 4mg per piece, if I am calculating right. $15 for a pound of gum base that makes about 300 pieces or $0.05 a piece. $20.50 for 30 ml of 60 mg juice, or $0.046 for 4 mg nicotine. Maybe add some stevia and flavor.

Follow my steps at your own risk.

I think I have had a succeeded in making nicotine gum, but man what a big sticky mess. Not sure it is worth it. Also, there is some danger of not mixing the batch up properly and getting a piece of gum with way too much nicotine. Or goofing like I did and making the batch of gum way too strong.

I got my gum base from gleegum DOT com. Don't bother with the starter kit. Get the gum refill. I got the pound bag.

The gum is softer than, say, Nicorette. The release of the nicotine in my gum seems faster, and my gum does not seem to last as long. But I made my gum way too strong, and have to chew tiny pieces. I don't know how to describe how it is different. I am sitting with a piece in my mouth right now. I think it is dead, but when I chew it my mouth feels like it is getting covered with nicotine. It is like you chew it to get to the nicotine, park it in your lip, and then the nicotine is gone. Not like Nicorette where you chew it and then suck on the goodness for a while.

So this is what I did. I put a cup of gum base in one of those rectangular 24 oz. Ziploc semi disposable containers you can get at the grocery store, henceforth known as "the bowl". I stuck the bowl in the microwave without a lid for 30 second intervals until the gum base was molten. With a wooden Starbucks coffee stirrer, I stirred in 30 ml of 40 mg/ml unflavored VG juice. OK, that was way too much. That is 240, 5ml doses. Probably should have used like half of that, or less. I used a small wooden stirrer because the gum is super sticky, and a spoon gets a bunch of gum stuck on it. The coffee stirrer worked but it was kind of flimsy. If I do this again I am going to find a metal rod, or something like that, to do the stirring. I also put in 20 drops of Stevia (sweetener, I could have used more) a couple of eye droppers full of perpermint extract (I could have used more), and some green food coloring (could have used more, the gray goo gum base mixed with the light green food coloring does not look too appetizing - puke green I would call it.) I figured once the food coloring was evenly distributed in the gum the other ingredients would be too.

The VG juice was kind of hard to integrate into the gum. The juice cooled the gum where it touched it, hardening the gum, so the two did not want to mix. I stuck bowl back into the microwave for twenty seconds to warm everything up, and it seemed to go together much better. I had to stick the bowl back in several times because the gum started getting hard while mixing. But it did not take very long in the microwave to get the gum molten again.

The molten gum was not hot enough to vaporise the VG.

After the food color was homogeneously distributed in the gum, I scooped out the gum from of the bowl with the coffee stirrer into a Ziploc quart size bag. I should have used a gallon bag to make things easier on myself. A lot of gum stuck to the bowl. I was later able to get a lot of the stuck gum out of the bowl by freezing the bowl then twisting and flexing the bowl to pop off the frozen gum. Once the gum was in the Ziploc bag I zipped the bag with as little air as possible, and flattened out the the gum inside using a wisky bottle. I stuck the flat Ziploc bag in the freezer to cool.

Once cooled, I could have cut the gum into little pieces, but I just cut off a piece to chew when I want one, cutting right through the plastic bag, peeling the plastic off the piece. I keep the blob inside another Ziploc bag to keep it fresh.

At this strength, a very small piece does the trick. Taste OK but could use more sweetness and more flavor, but that is not really the point of the gum.

Again, it was a sticky messy hassle to do this. I might be able to manage it better now that I know what I am doing a little better. Chewing the gum is not as enjoyable as vaping. I think I need to try it for a while to see how I like it before I decide to try to make another batch.

Madame Psychosis

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
East Coast Gypsy
These tasks may not be suited for microwaves -- the heating can be so uneven (popping, hotspots, god-knows-what leaching from plastic containers) and there's no ability to stir during the process. Double boiler, anyone? I've used it to make candy in the past...common tool for chocolate-making. (A steel mixing bowl that rests over a medium saucepan/pot of water also works.)

I checked the ZipLock website. It states that nothing bad seeps out of the plastic tubs they sell when heated in the microwave. Of course, they would say that. So if you believe "the man", that part should be safe. Likewise, the ZipLock bag is not melted by the molten gum. Don't stick the plastic bag in the microwave with the gum though, that will melt the bag.

After I have chewed on it a bit, I don't think I made the gum too strong, but I think I still did not incorporate the nicotine evenly into the gum. The first piece I cut was from the bottom corner of the bag, and unmixed nicotine must have collected there, because that piece took the top of my head off, at least it felt that way. Subsequently, the pieces have been milder. Still, the "punch" doesn't last as long as Nicorete.

If you use a stove top to melt the gum, the gum website says to use a double boiler setup. Float the bowl that you melt the gum in in a larger pot of boiling water. It may take twenty minutes to melt. Also, the gum is so sticky you will probably never be able to remove all of it from the melting bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread