Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Hi, anyone have a part list and a diagram for a diy ohm meter. not a multimeter. I want to build a ohm meter , the ones that are always sold out, I have the ability, I just need a parts list and a diagram, If any one has a link or any info it would be very much appreciated

I would like that also. I have everything but the display/ meter part. I have boxes, wire, atty connectors, etc., just need the display/meter and I can make my own. Thanks

vape On
:vapor:

kaddigart

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2013
Insomniville
Here's both schematic and parts list rolled into one:
Low-Ohm-1.jpg
Credit goes to Electronics-DIY.com

And here's a page with different layouts/parts.

You could also skip all that and just modify an extra set of leads for a multimeter. Wire them directly to a 510 connector and enclose, or not. This would be the easiest solution if you just wanted the convenience of screwing a 510 device in instead of fumbling with the leads. For that matter you could attach the connector to the multimeter itself and leave it set to test ohms. Instant 510 ohm meter.

Last edited:

cedric212

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Hi, anyone have a part list and a diagram for a diy ohm meter. not a multimeter. I want to build a ohm meter , the ones that are always sold out, I have the ability, I just need a parts list and a diagram, If any one has a link or any info it would be very much appreciated

You'll need:

3 1 2 Digital Red LED 200 Ohm Resistance Counter Panel Meter 0 199 9 Ohm New | eBay (only shows one digit after the decimal though)
Project box
on/off switch
510 connector
battery holder

No diagram needed, just solder the lines from the meter panel to the 510 and power source and you're done. But given that Tobeco, Segelei, and HCigar are pumping out ohm meters in large quantities, it's only a matter time to find one. If you don't mind the large size, you might want to consider this:

Ohm Meter Rechargeable

Also, Bucky is doing a GB on the HCigar version ohm meter.

higoukii

Jun 3, 2013
los angeles
Here's both schematic and parts list rolled into one:
View attachment 256076
Credit goes to Electronics-DIY.com

And here's a page with different layouts/parts.

You could also skip all that and just modify an extra set of leads for a multimeter. Wire them directly to a 510 connector and enclose, or not. This would be the easiest solution if you just wanted the convenience of screwing a 510 device in instead of fumbling with the leads. For that matter you could attach the connector to the multimeter itself and leave it set to test ohms. Instant 510 ohm meter.

I've been thinking about doing what you said about modifying leads to a multimeter (since one of my leads broke by snapping off of the cable).

Do i solder the wires onto a 510 connector?

for example red will connect to the middle and black to some negative part??

kaddigart

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2013
Insomniville
I've been thinking about doing what you said about modifying leads to a multimeter (since one of my leads broke by snapping off of the cable).

Do i solder the wires onto a 510 connector?

for example red will connect to the middle and black to some negative part??

Correct. The negative part could simply be the outer edge of the connector. I'd remove the leads and solder the bare wire to the connector though. You could house the connector and that end of the leads in something small...an old 510 analog sized battery would be perfect. Something like the Vapor King or similar. Otherwise, any writing pen would work too.

Starlyte2

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2012
Carcassonne, France
I've been looking for a little LED ohm meter to mount with an ego/510 adapter, and as I'm not crazy about red leds, I found this :-

ohm meter-ebay-back.jpg ohm meter-ebay-connections.jpg ohm meter-ebay-front+size.jpg

The most precise, as far as I can tell from the specs is from here, for 12.90$, postage free here:-

Blue LCD Digital Ohmmeter Reading Resistance Testing Equipment 0 200 Ohms Meters | eBay

Another :blush: different specs, not, IMO (but I'm no expert) as precise as the one above, 12.90$ free delivery from here:

3 2 1 LCD Digital Didplay Electric Tester 0 200K

Or, as I just saw, 12.70$ shipping included, again specs different, also IMO, less precise, from here :-

Digital Resistance Meters LCD Ohms Resding Megger Electrical Testing Equipments | eBay

All you need to do is make its' box, with the 510/ego adapter, good if you rewick clearos, and other ego styled resistances; outside soldered to the black cable, inside pin to the red one, and IMO, an ON/OFF switch :).

You could buy a metal box from a DIY electronics shop, and just solder the black wire to the box itself, as the outside of the adapter 510/ego is in contact though you might have additional resistance from the metal of the box, unless you slder it together with adapter and box (great if you aren't a spot on solderer. Or make a pretty wooden one, as seen earlier in the thread, or find a plastic on, but rigid enough to support the adapter and atty.

I'd be inclined, to be sure and to leave it plugged in to just put an on/off switch on the box, and pass the wire through it. I use the + wire, but maybe experts use the - wire, especially if it's a metal box, and your - is soldered to the box.

You'll need either a 12V wall adapter, for your mains plug, really the least mA's you can find, as it needs <15mA, or if you play with PC's, use a plug off the PMU, with a prise + & 6 on a back panel, or use simply your imagination. It should work with 3 Ecig batteries in parallel, and a male and female plug. Like that it would be portable (but why you'd want to carry an atty ohm tester around with you escapes me ;) )

I'm going to choose one sort of female plug for the entry, and use the apprpriate male, for whatever system's easiest.
You could put up a battery box (protected batteries, but not high Ah, 3 x >500Ah in parallel, for ex.) Parallel, for the record, being the 3 + going to the same connecter, and the - all together too. Or however you want to get a low amp 12V supply. An old 12V battery for a portable drill, or something like that could be practical, if you've broken one...AND want the Ohm Meter to be portable :blink: :p

The easiest is if you don't need to carry it around, you simply take a wall adapter 12V, buy the female for the plug on it, put it in the box, wired correctly for the adapter (there's a little diagram on them, with a C and a line that goes into it. The 3C3 is marked + or -, and is the exterior of the plug. You just need to wire the female plug in the box to the same + or - that's on the ohm meter you bought) The plugs are sold in most DIY electronics shops, by diameter.

When I've got past the theory I'll post up some photos of the construction, but it takes a long time to deliver the Chinese ohm meter, from what I see on the sales blurb.:p

Good luck, hope it works as it should, but it seems fairly simple...:toast: :vapor:

Maybe, thinking about it, it'd also be a good idea to put a fuse in between the 510 atty and the circuit/LED display, if it's not got a protection built in. BUT I'll have to look into that bit, as I'm not sure of the details. Sorry. Any one else hot on fuses? :evil:

Last edited:

Starlyte2

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2012
Carcassonne, France
Don't forget to make a "Zero".
An old carto connector "Shorted" would work.

And this, which didn't cross my mind, but is a relly intelligent thing to do, as well as the connecters are never without resistance. It would be worth sanding any chrome off your 510 post on the Ohm %eter, or getting hold of a good quality one, with a brass center pin. But as they're all, as far as I know, in brass, sanding it will be cheaper ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread