Do you really feel better with the switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puff2K

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2015
USA
not to mention I've not been sick (had chronic bronchitis and the flu that would never end after 5 months when I quit) but I saw Tia post this on FB this morning...I like it
1422626_707024485991817_2012130671_n.jpg
Wow, I had no idea the timeline was so long. Thank you for posting.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Definitely for me. Food tastes so much better now. ;)

I actually lost weight. The sweet fruity vapes seem to kill my cravings for Little Debbie snacks and chocolate. Others have reported similar results.

I lost weight at first, due to not sitting around snacking while awaiting a commercial so I could run outdoors and smoke. :D Also had a fairly dramatic weight loss after my appendectomy, because i was too ill to eat anything for 4 days and it took me a couple weeks to be able to eat a normal-sized meal again. However, now that food tastes/smells so much better, I've gained back more than I wanted to. But I'm working on it. One HUGE benefit was that when I had that appendectomy, I had been smoke-free for 110 days, and my lungs were clear as a bell -- so I got to go home the same day I had the surgery, because even 45 mins gen't anesthesia didn't mess with my lungs at all -- and I have asthma, so that was a HUGE win.

When I first quit last spring, I noticed on day 5 that I wasn't waking up in the middle of the night with an asthma attack, and not waking up in the morning sounding like a waterpipe, grabbing my inhaler before my eyes were even open -- and after 10 months, now I can get up, go to the bathroom, and come back and get into my robe before I even think to use my inhaler.

That said, I also began experiencing more asthma symptoms, when I came back from my relapse last summer after the appendectomy, and started using WTA. I don't know if the WTA is what caused that, but I did find it necessary to tell my doc, and get on a maintenance medication (Advair) rather than just depending on my rescue inhaler. I've been reducing my WTA percentage by one point a month since the first of the year, so I should be done with WTA by the end of September; after that, I should be able to tell if it was the WTA exacerbating my asthma, or if it's just that I was never a non-smoking asthmatic, and quitting smoking/starting vaping disrupted my very precarious homeostasis.

I have noticed that I can walk about twice as far up a hill without getting winded, as when I smoked, and I can generally keep up with my ex-marine husband, walking thru parking lots.

I think how long it takes to see benefits depends greatly on how long you smoked -- if you smoked for 20+ yrs, you can't expect that damage to be undone in just 12 days. I smoked for 39 yrs, so seeing ANY benefits at all while I'm still in my first year non-snmoking, is a miracle to me.

Andria

GranFumador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Peoples' Bucolic Republic of Maine
General well being
I know it's been only 12 days for me, but I can't really see any changes health wise.
Yes!*

*But not at first. For a month or two I went through assorted tobacco withdrawal symptoms, as well as the effects of bad e-juice and crappy gear, because I didn't know better. The health improvements, both physical and psychological, came slowly over the first year. I'm glad to be free of cigarettes. Breathing is easier; cough is gone; I don't stink.

Please stay with it, Ms. Perrault. It may not be easy at first, but it does get better.

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
Yep, I breathe better, nomore coughing. I'm not sure if it affected my sleep. I usually sleep well unless I have chaos in my life. It has helped my endurance quite a bit. I go on long walks a few times a week. When I smoked I'd be a lot more winded halfway through a 3 mile walk, now I'm fine the entire walk. Also, my car smells great and stays spotless! I got my new car about a week after I started vaping, good timing!

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I feel the same, nothing really changed, but I never felt any wrongs to my health from smoking. But there were some very nice changes for sure:
- No smell.
- I can vape at work (as in old times when I smoked while working)
- My life expectancy increased
- My wife will not be a widow for longer time (it was possibly the main reason for me to quit smoking)

mojofilter

Mar 10, 2015
Florida, USA
In a couple of days I'll be at the four month mark. I thought I felt better from about the third week. The sound of my lungs wheezing no longer keeps me awake until I fall asleep from exhaustion. For about two months after kicking the habit I quit coughing. But my nose has not stopped running since the day after I quit. And in the last three weeks or so, I have started to cough again, and cough up phlegm. The fluids I am expelling are clear, and not yellow, so I know I'm not seriously sick or infected. It's like I have a low-grade cold that isn't getting any worse, but isn't going away. I can honestly say that it doesn't feel like any cold I've ever had. I don't feel sick, but I can't be far from a box of tissues, and I have awoken myself coughing - which I never did for the 42 years I smoked. I hope this goes away soon. Is this a delayed, or ongoing reaction to withdrawal from tobacco?

Also, I put on fifteen pounds. And I can't sleep any longer than four hours maximum at a stretch. Usually less, like 2.5 - 3 hours. There is no stress in my life, so I'm not being kept awake worrying about anything.

I will be as delicate here as I possibly can. Imagine you've done a daily bodily function one way for the majority of your life. Then one day after you quit smoking it changes and becomes different from what you are used to, and it becomes a highly unpleasant experience. I haven't changed my diet any, but what happens to food after I've eaten it is now kind of traumatic. Please, somebody tell me that it goes back to normal at some point. I don't know if I can take it being this way until I die.

Do I feel any better? Not yet. I mean, my breathing is silent now, and my senses of smell and taste have returned, but I don't actually feel like a new man. Yet.

Puff2K

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2015
USA
In a couple of days I'll be at the four month mark. I thought I felt better from about the third week. The sound of my lungs wheezing no longer keeps me awake until I fall asleep from exhaustion. For about two months after kicking the habit I quit coughing. But my nose has not stopped running since the day after I quit. And in the last three weeks or so, I have started to cough again, and cough up phlegm. The fluids I am expelling are clear, and not yellow, so I know I'm not seriously sick or infected. It's like I have a low-grade cold that isn't getting any worse, but isn't going away. I can honestly say that it doesn't feel like any cold I've ever had. I don't feel sick, but I can't be far from a box of tissues, and I have awoken myself coughing - which I never did for the 42 years I smoked. I hope this goes away soon. Is this a delayed, or ongoing reaction to withdrawal from tobacco?

Also, I put on fifteen pounds. And I can't sleep any longer than four hours maximum at a stretch. Usually less, like 2.5 - 3 hours. There is no stress in my life, so I'm not being kept awake worrying about anything.

I will be as delicate here as I possibly can. Imagine you've done a daily bodily function one way for the majority of your life. Then one day after you quit smoking it changes and becomes different from what you are used to, and it becomes a highly unpleasant experience. I haven't changed my diet any, but what happens to food after I've eaten it is now kind of traumatic. Please, somebody tell me that it goes back to normal at some point. I don't know if I can take it being this way until I die.

Do I feel any better? Not yet. I mean, my breathing is silent now, and my senses of smell and taste have returned, but I don't actually feel like a new man. Yet.
I'm also having issues with that bodily function. It happens but it's different now. Um, yeah. I also have that clear phlegm thing. Your post rings a lot of the same bells with me. Hang in there! It's still better than smoking.

issy

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2014
Between Timid and Timbuktu
Without a doubt. I only smoked for about 2 years, half a pack of regular american spirits. One of the reasons I quit was that I just plain felt bad from smoking. I noticed improvements after about two weeks in my lung capacity, endurance, mood/emotions, lack of hacking especially in the morning, sleep, etc. Plus I smell better ;)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA

Sounds like more water and more fiber is called for... ;) Without water and insoluble fiber to carry it where it's needed, it probably won't get any better.

The clear phlegm is probably your respiratory system expelling PG/VG -- probably VG; it';s more difficult to expel.

Andria

Fuzzy Bruce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2014
Fort Liquordale, Fl.
I know I feel better after stopping tobacco use. No more hacking up what seemed like my lungs. Also, I suffered from cold/flue like symptoms a couple or three times a year. Knock on my RSM mod stand, I have not been sick a day since I started vaping.

I did try all sorts of PG/VG combos trying to find what worked for me. Settled on 100% VG with nic added or max VG with some flavoring added.

If I did not already have dysphagia, I would probably never cough at all.

tjcraig

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2015
Ramona, CA
I don't know the reasons behind it, but when I smoked cigarettes I would get a stuffy nose at night and wake up with a runny nose and/or the need to sneeze a few times. I never really related it to smoking until I took up vaping and it disappeared. I recently fell off the wagon and started smoking about 5 cigarettes a day along with vaping and on day one of that my nose started stuffing up again. Just another reason to kick them again.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I don't know the reasons behind it, but when I smoked cigarettes I would get a stuffy nose at night and wake up with a runny nose and/or the need to sneeze a few times. I never really related it to smoking until I took up vaping and it disappeared. I recently fell off the wagon and started smoking about 5 cigarettes a day along with vaping and on day one of that my nose started stuffing up again. Just another reason to kick them again.

I had a much harder time getting my nose and sinuses cleared when I quit, than getting my lungs cleared -- muscles in the chest help us get rid of nastiness there, but there's none of that, with sinuses, you just have to wait till they drain. I still wake up stuffy, but it passes much more quickly than it did when I smoked.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread