Do you think V4L would share a secret? .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
I had a LTR with a Celiac, but she was gluten sensitive but not gluten intolerant. In the case of intolerance, even the most minute quantities of gluten can set off an attack. It is important to find out since it will tell you how to prepare your kitchen.

On the other hand, this is a condition where knowledge and information are critical to make life very normal for yourself and, almost as important, those around you. It will require thought and preparation. There are plenty of decent chain restaurants that carry gluten free menus (Outback and Carabas are two that come to mind). You can also find restaurants on the Celiac and other websites. You can still have many of your favorite foods like pizza and spaghetti.

Since awareness of the condition has risen dramatically these last few years, most food producers now indicate if their products are gluten free. If you travel abroad, you can go to a website and can print out cards in almost any language which explain gluten sensitivity and the allowable foods.

I like to cook and found that it was easy to substitute rice flour for wheat flour in most meals without negatively impacting even the most exotic and delegate preparations. I do not bake cakes and pies (like why bother when we have so many good bakeries in the area?) where it might be more difficult to find adequate substitutes for wheat flour, but it has been almost two years since we broke off, so there now might be some good substitutes.

As far as the ecig is concerned, you might have to learn DIY on juices and ask the flavor suppliers like Lorann or Flavorart to tell you if their flavorings are gluten free. It takes some fairly sophisticated chemical analysis to detect gluten, and this is generally beyond the scope of most of the small suppliers.

IMHO, many of them just do not know. Any information they might have would only come from the source of their flavorings.

Hope this information helps!

T

Wintering

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2011
SF Bay Area
Hi Mavrickk, a chef, eh? What's your specialty? I'm getting hungry!

Yep, from my experiments - it seems I can't touch (vape!) Vanilla from a 1- foot poll (or diamond tip!) ;)

I'm a chef so I deal with food allergies a lot, you would be surprised at some of the things with gluten. Most imitation vanilla flavors have gluten as well as some natural flavors.

Wintering

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2011
SF Bay Area
Hi Tonyorian, thank you so much! Your LTR was lucky to have you. Since I'm still new to all of this (bah-bye wheat toast!) I've just cut everything questionable out of my diet. Once I'm 100% gluten free, (it'll probably take a few weeks) I will try to slowly introduce things like hamburger (yep, they use gluten as a binding agent - ack!) back into my diet. Right now, all I'm eating is organic chicken, fish, veggies, certified gluten free cereal, and of course ..... red wine & chocolate! :) So I honestly don't know if I'm "intolerant" or "sensitive" - yet! Gurp, my gastro says the only way they'd know for sure if for me to go back on gluten for 6 weeks. That ain't gonna happen! This is the first time I've felt 'human' since I quit cigs! :blink:

For now, I'm only vaping menthol, since that doesn't seem to bother me. And thanks to all our wonderful V4L family members, I've received info on several places that make organic / gluten free juice. Yay! Chocolate, wine, and vaping - what's so hard about that? :laugh:

Wintering

I had a LTR with a Celiac, but she was gluten sensitive but not gluten intolerant. In the case of intolerance, even the most minute quantities of gluten can set off an attack. It is important to find out since it will tell you how to prepare your kitchen.

On the other hand, this is a condition where knowledge and information are critical to make life very normal for yourself and, almost as important, those around you. It will require thought and preparation. There are plenty of decent chain restaurants that carry gluten free menus (Outback and Carabas are two that come to mind). You can also find restaurants on the Celiac and other websites. You can still have many of your favorite foods like pizza and spaghetti.

Since awareness of the condition has risen dramatically these last few years, most food producers now indicate if their products are gluten free. If you travel abroad, you can go to a website and can print out cards in almost any language which explain gluten sensitivity and the allowable foods.

I like to cook and found that it was easy to substitute rice flour for wheat flour in most meals without negatively impacting even the most exotic and delegate preparations. I do not bake cakes and pies (like why bother when we have so many good bakeries in the area?) where it might be more difficult to find adequate substitutes for wheat flour, but it has been almost two years since we broke off, so there now might be some good substitutes.

As far as the eCig is concerned, you might have to learn DIY on juices and ask the flavor suppliers like Lorann or Flavorart to tell you if their flavorings are gluten free. It takes some fairly sophisticated chemical analysis to detect gluten, and this is generally beyond the scope of most of the small suppliers.

IMHO, many of them just do not know. Any information they might have would only come from the source of their flavorings.

Hope this information helps!

T

waylonjessi4ever

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Northern California
I feel for you wintering ,i really do but it sounds like you are handling it well :) i have something that can affect me the same way that many people havce and i know what i should and should not eat ,especially together ,but mines not so cut and dried ,sometimes ok sometimes not ugh .I guess we all get stuck with something !

moonrai1980

May 18, 2010
fort worth
Just gotta say going gluten free is a life changer. I have celiacs as well. And I have to agree with the chef gluten is in a lot of flavor additives. Maybe you could do a search for gluten free ejuice. And Rice crispies now has gluten free rice crispies and I've got to say they are really tasty. I love those wasabi rice chips very tasty. And if you decide to make your own cakes I suggest adding an extra egg, it makes it fluffier and tastier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread