Does Vaping Attract Hypochondriacs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDC700

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2009
Central Texas
Just curious? It seems there are a lot of posts on here with people who are stating that vaping has caused some horrible things to happen. Sort of ironic that someone would choose to SMOKE for YEARS (more than likely wearing everyone they know out on "I think I have cancer") and then go to an online forum and attack something that is 1000's of times less lethal. While I don't believe inhaling any form of nicotine can be deemed as "healthy", I feel a hundred times better in just the 5 days since I quit cigs!

Pretty patronizing thing to say.

Do you sit around emergency rooms waiting for someone to come in with an allergic reaction to a bee sting or peanuts so you can tell them it's all in their head?

If you break out in hives after vaping for the first time, it's not crazy to think it could've had something to do with it. Likewise with other reactions that appear out of nowhere. That's why it's good to have them logged here in case someone else has a similar reaction.

Many Americans seem to suffer from this If-it's-not-happening-to-me-it-doesn't-exist affliction. Maybe that's all in my head.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Just curious? It seems there are a lot of posts on here with people who are stating that vaping has caused some horrible things to happen. Sort of ironic that someone would choose to SMOKE for YEARS (more than likely wearing everyone they know out on "I think I have cancer") and then go to an online forum and attack something that is 1000's of times less lethal. While I don't believe inhaling any form of nicotine can be deemed as "healthy", I feel a hundred times better in just the 5 days since I quit cigs!

I'm not sure that is necessarily so of this group. There will always be a certain percentage of those in any group. I have only had one negative health issue which was an increase in acid reflux. I think I have discovered that I was simply vaping too strong a nicotine mix. Otherwise it has improved my health in every other aspect period.

Kevin

beckah54

Dog Lover!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
Ohio
It is the unknown quality of the PV, I believe. People know all the bad things in analogs but they don't know what the flavorings and additions in the smoke juice will do to their lungs.

Fear of the unknown danger is a very real fear, much stronger than fear of a known danger.

It's like starting a new medication. If you feel nausea, headache, tight chest, weird dreams, you probably blame it on the new meds, rather than consider it might be the flu or some other illness just starting out that has nothing to do with the meds.

Anytime you inhale an untested vapor into your lungs, you're betting against the odds
that this is better than cigarette smoke. The odds are, it is but you're still gambling. Until there is extensive testing on the juice, people will worry about it's effects.

Just my two cents worth.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

Pretty patronizing thing to say.

Do you sit around emergency rooms waiting for someone to come in with an allergic reaction to a bee sting or peanuts so you can tell them it's all in their head?

If you break out in hives after vaping for the first time, it's not crazy to think it could've had something to do with it. Likewise with other reactions that appear out of nowhere. That's why it's good to have them logged here in case someone else has a similar reaction.

Many Americans seem to suffer from this If-it's-not-happening-to-me-it-doesn't-exist affliction. Maybe that's all in my head.

I agree with Shaka. People can have any number of different types of adverse reactions to a drug. In most cases, the best thing someone can do is ask his physician. But since e-cigs are so new, most physicians aren't even aware that they exist, let alone what the side effects may be.

The next best thing is to ask other people who have used it whether they've had similar experiences and how they dealt with it. That's what this forum is for, it allows people to share their experiences and help each other deal.

Just because someone voices concerns about a side effect their having does not mean they are a hypochondriac! Nor does it mean they are "attacking" e-cigs. They are just being honest and sharing their experiences, there is nothing wrong with that.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
What we don't know about e-smoking is legion. Studies have not been done with a sufficient number of people to determine side effects. In truth, we are e-smoking lab rats, pioneers in an experiment involving inhaling a vaporized cocktail of chemicals heated in metal tubes made in Chinese factories our government can't inspect.

We know very little for certain.

So it's important that all effects are noted. Some might be dismissable; some might affect large numbers of e-smokers. We need to know.

Of this much we can be certain: If the FDA ever decides to allow e-smoking, a listing of side effects for the drug we call e-liquid will be essential. Not some made up list, either. It will have to be a list created from studies of real people using e-cigs and e-liquid. E-smoking will never get approval without studies, and a listing of all ingredients and all identified side effects when the product is used as directed.

We are compiling a potential list right in this forum. It's valuable knowledge and it also lets us say that no one yet has suffered any serious disability or death from e-smoking. We'd know if that had happened (and so would the press and FDA). I find comfort in that fact.

But I don't deceive myself that the road to approval will bypass science. Won't happen.

souporvapor

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Everett, WA
and hello out there...
anybody research the withdrawal symptoms....
we be quitin' mass poisons - ingested via .... logs and smoke.
WhyQuit - Nicotine Withdrawal and Recovery Symptoms

keep in mind there just isn't any info on which part is withdrawal from nic as opposed to withdrawal from the rest of the crap in cigs... and the smoke.
http://www.voiceofchoices.com/whatchasmokin.pdf

Interesting that much of what people talk about is on that page.

And should you want more info - the link below is a page full of excellent vaping info

blsssngs

30 years of smoking....
Vaporized by my ScrewDriver!

Kamanjah

ECF Veteran
Ya know what kinda scares me sometimes? If someone was posting here about problems, and then they up and died, they couldn't ever come back and post. If they had been a long-time smoker, the autopsy could just show 'smoking related.' They'd have nicotine and related chemicals present that current science would pick up and if there were no suspicious circumstances, well, your average coroner isn't going to run panels and panels of tests that would show whatever it was in the liquid.....

Just sayin'....

gpdo24

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2009
New York, New York
Ya know what kinda scares me sometimes? If someone was posting here about problems, and then they up and died, they couldn't ever come back and post. If they had been a long-time smoker, the autopsy could just show 'smoking related.' They'd have nicotine and related chemicals present that current science would pick up and if there were no suspicious circumstances, well, your average coroner isn't going to run panels and panels of tests that would show whatever it was in the liquid.....

Just sayin'....

Very interesting premise. I currently work at a morgue and have noted an escalating number of John/Jane Does listed as "smoking Related" expirations with distinct compression marks on both opposing thumbs and smelling precisely of BANANA 8-o......Only remaining mysteries are Which Mod? And, Who's Banana Sundae Formula?:p

If such tragic event as you imagined had occured the anecdotal evidence of friends and associates of the recently deceased Vaper would certainly have garnered some attention. But .....you did scare me...and kinda happy I don't actually work at a morgue; It only feels like one.

frankie1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
Florida
lmao GFPO! But it is an interesting thought.

I think a lot of us kinda sorta want to think the FDA and our fellow Americans really DO have our best interests at heart and do NOT want to believe that they would intentionally ban these things and sentence us to death....so somewhere way back in the dark corner of our brain we think...could they be right??

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Frankie, it's not a matter of "right". It's a matter of following the law on marketing a new drug. That's the FDA's position and it's a correct one. No one can come into this country and set up their snake oil tent. Those days are long gone -- thankfully. When an e-cig/e-liquid manufacturer follows proper procedure, we'll have a solution "right' for us. Until then, the FDA is doing its job.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Tropical Bob has it right...we are a pretext to possible success here...but with the technological breakout of vaping, out of China, no less, every answer we find generates more questions. But a lot of those questions are discussed at length in the Forum somewhere, when I first came here I read for two months straight. Just to catch up of all the discussions. Now we come in tomorrow, and this page will be 10 pages back! It's unbelievable.
Please do, everyone new to the Forum, read the Health Threads, get familiar with the safety practices of using nicotine liquids, and do watch what's happening in you physically! If you have any distasteful or distressing affects from vaping, send out a question. Be careful about the advice that's rolls around in here, if you have any doubt about someone's statements, look at their previous posts, how many posts, and their ages, even. A lot of people who've been here for a couple weeks may not have all their facts straight just yet. But when it comes to your own safety question away, that's what ECF is all about.
Are there hypochondriacs here, yes probably, but there are also people here who do have serious health problems, physical and mental, so be understanding and patient with folks. There are times we all are having a bad day and need a little slack! Always pass forward what you learn as we go along here, however limping!

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana

I didn't understand your claims until I started looking around and started reading the posts in this forum. Now I understand exactly what you are talking about. I had no idea that all this was going on with this forum. I guess that the last half of this thread was normal for this area. Pardon me for misspeaking earlier.

Kevin

frankie1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
Florida
Frankie, it's not a matter of "right". It's a matter of following the law on marketing a new drug. That's the FDA's position and it's a correct one. No one can come into this country and set up their snake oil tent. Those days are long gone -- thankfully. When an e-cig/e-liquid manufacturer follows proper procedure, we'll have a solution "right' for us. Until then, the FDA is doing its job.

True...The perception is that the FDA disapproves but that is not fact. They just wanted procedures followed. I understand that, but it FEELS differently and I think that is why people are fearful of the product and attribute odd things to vaping when indeed it has nothing to do with it. I do this myself, so I can relate! That is really all I was saying.

I hope people do come here if they have adverse reactions. I think that is information we NEED. I just hate it, however, when they either don't fully disclose that they have underlying health problems that don't apply to most of us or have had the symptoms for a long time, yet insist they MUST be related to vaping.

I was NEVER dyslexic until I started vaping! LOL Didn't ever lie either :p:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread