Dow chemical refusing to supply Propylene Glycol to e-cigarette industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanDidak

ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2014
Oakley, CA, USA
www.stefandidak.com
So this tweet is all there is about this story?

It's not "a story"... yet. At least, not one that is detailed enough for public consumption. We've been raising some awareness and gathering more information. The tweet was a small part of that but also instrumental in getting others to talk to us about it. And yes, we have indications that something is going on with several PG manufacturers in terms of them not willing to sell once you state the purpose for the purchase is for the manufacturing of e-liquid. I appreciate your healthy skepticism based on a tweet and several other bits of related information floating around out there. I was skeptical too when I first heard about this happening... 5 weeks ago. Before we started to dig around some more. :)

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
If every vaper switched to smoking, I still don't think they'll get the same number of tax dollars.
And if we (successfully) fight against such efforts with "vaping is not a sin" then they won't even come close.

I meant the other way - smoking to vaping - but yeah, either way their taxes are going to suffer unless they find a way to tax ecigs at the same or greater level. But if they ban or partially ban ecigs to where a black market develops, they'll lose even more money.

StefanDidak

ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2014
Oakley, CA, USA
www.stefandidak.com
That's a great idea ! I'm gonna dress like Gene Simmons and tell them I need more for my fog machine !

You have no idea how both funny and yet serious that is. Saw responses yesterday from a manufacturer who did not want to sell PG for e-liquid purposes, Yet on the same day had no problem selling it when told it was for a fog machine on an event stage. So yes, at this point my advice would certainly be, say you need it for a fog machine called the Legal Vape 4000 or something. :)

TamiP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2012
Illinois
thevapevine.blogspot.com
All my cattle are sick...at least that's what I tell them at Tractor Supply when I buy my yearly gallon of PG. I even have some old overalls I wear just for the occasion.

3127393707_rotflmaoHORSE_answer_2_xlarge_answer_1_xlarge.gif

Perfect! I foresee a lot of farmers suddenly showing up at feed supply stores with sick cows.

aubergine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
MD
has anyone seen this actually reported outside of a tweet?

That Dow explicitly states that they do not support the use of PG in e-cigs and will not sell it for that purpose is a fact, not a story - I linked to the page on their website where they say so a few pages back in this thread.
Whether they have, or do, or will, or can act on that statement is a tweet and a lot of conjecture at this point.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Dow, although a large company, is not the world's only PG manufacturer...

Yes, I was at Wiz Labs' site last night, and they state on their site that they get theirs (and other stuff too presumably) from Johnson & Johnson.

I agree that Dow should just stick to making poison; it's what they're best at.

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
And anything over 30% VG stuffs up my sinuses and makes me wheeze a bit at night.
And then I'm blowing my nose for an hour or so the next morning.

Screw that.

Anything over 30% VG, if I don't dilute it with water, makes me almost completely unable to BREATHE -- even the rescue inhaler won't work if I can't inhale the medicine. Plus I hate that yicky thick feeling in my throat.

Andria

TamiP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2012
Illinois
thevapevine.blogspot.com
PG and VG are used for SO many other things other than big tobacco and e-juice makers. They can make claims all they want, and it might not be a smart idea for a vendor to go to Dow and say they want a ton of PG for making ejuice, but there are plenty of ways to get it and there's NO way Dow can stop it, and it would be a financial hit to stop making it altogether as well. So, this simply isn't a concern to me. I may be 'blind' to it, but I don't see it. I have more concern about what the FDA is doing than what a company like Dow is doing. Their statement is all rhetoric, no reasonable action.

TamiP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2012
Illinois
thevapevine.blogspot.com
Don't get me wrong---I think it's a pissy thing for them to even state. At this time, it is NOT illegal to make or sell e-juice, so a company (and this includes Paypal arbitrarily deciding not to allow any purchases for e-cigs when they see fit)... should not be placing any sort of disclaimer for it in their statements. Of course, they can do what they want, it's their company. Bottom line, they can bellyache, but there's just not much they are really going to be able to do about e-juice makers using the product. IF the FDA outlaws the making of ejuice by home users (DIY) or small, unlicensed vendors... THEN it might be more of an issue. I still am not sure how they would regulate PG or VG though, unless they do to it what they do to cold pills like Sudafed that (I guess the 'm' word is against board policy) makers use to make the drug. It sure would be an unfair thing to do though, and it would make getting the liquids a whole lot hard for any legitimate purpose as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread