FDA E cig regulators suffer from collective delusions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like any capitalist market, it does a fairly good job at regulating itself. While there is saturation of some products, prices have come down to a more reasonable rate than a few years ago. Price aside, the safety aspect is well While many chemicals have gone into my body, some have been more harmful than others. Some I have purposely ingested and some I have done without my knowledge. Nobody wants to put harmful chemicals into their body. The vaping industry met user demand of such; many people didn't want diacetylene, 2,3-pentanedione, and acetone or whatever they are put into their body. The makers of flavors made flavors that did not have these chemicals. Sure we really don't know, but the alternatives IMO suck. Why cook a nice meal for someone and .... on it? Because they asked for a nice meal with .... on it. I don't need to explain the benefits to anybody who smoked cigarettes for years and switched to vaping.

My point is this: The people wanted something safer and manufacturers supplied than want.

Found this interesting:
"in 2009, the FDA found detectable levels of toxic cancer-causing chemicals—including an ingredient used in antifreeze—in two leading brands of e-cigarettes and 18 various cartridges."
-http://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smoking-f...-health.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/
What could they have been? Blu? Other stuff that doesn't exist?

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
@oriely72 The study you refer too used cigalike cartridges made in China.
Even though they did find the things mentioned they were in such small
quantities as to of no health concern at all.
Even the "anti-freeze" (either diethylene glycol or ethylene glycol) which
was found wouldn't have hurt anyone. This is the only study to find it anyway.
The thing to remember is most if not all of these things are found naturally
in the food you eat. Even fresh food. There is no evidence that a difference
in the way you consume them makes a difference.
:2c:
Regards
Mike

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
Like any capitalist market, it does a fairly good job at regulating itself. While there is saturation of some products, prices have come down to a more reasonable rate than a few years ago.
Unfortunately, you have two problems at play here.

One, a growing belief among Americans that capitalism is naturally evil, cannot regulate itself, and that the government should be actively pursuing more and more regulation on a free market.

Two, you have a large group of people in public health, and specifically tobacco control, that make a living on people continuing to smoke. If 100% of the country stopped smoking today, what use is tobacco control? Glantz would have to find a job in his native training (applied mechanics) after years of sitting in his ivory tower demonizing smokers. Imagine that! Vaping is a threat to their mantra, even more so because they didn't invent it, and worse their long-term career potential if more and more people make the switch.

As far as this study is concerned, this is one in a long line of studies that have raised serious questions as to the validity of the study design and execution.

LaraC

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2013
Tennessee
In a completely unreasonable war against electronic cigarettes, the American Lung Association (ALA) is probably one of the worst offenders of all the major "health" charities in the U.S.

The ALA's page about e-cigarettes that you came across on lung-dot-org, oriely72, is chock full of misinformation, cherry-picked misleading information, and hysterically wild jumps to unwarranted conclusions. Which you already know, as the title you gave your thread suggests.

"Delusions", yep. Delusions of grandeur.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Like any capitalist market, it does a fairly good job at regulating itself. While there is saturation of some products, prices have come down to a more reasonable rate than a few years ago. Price aside, the safety aspect is well While many chemicals have gone into my body, some have been more harmful than others. Some I have purposely ingested and some I have done without my knowledge. Nobody wants to put harmful chemicals into their body. The vaping industry met user demand of such; many people didn't want diacetylene, 2,3-pentanedione, and acetone or whatever they are put into their body. The makers of flavors made flavors that did not have these chemicals. Sure we really don't know, but the alternatives IMO suck. Why cook a nice meal for someone and .... on it? Because they asked for a nice meal with .... on it. I don't need to explain the benefits to anybody who smoked cigarettes for years and switched to vaping.

My point is this: The people wanted something safer and manufacturers supplied than want.

Found this interesting:
"in 2009, the FDA found detectable levels of toxic cancer-causing chemicals—including an ingredient used in antifreeze—in two leading brands of e-cigarettes and 18 various cartridges."
-http://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smoking-facts/e-cigarettes-and-lung-health.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/
What could they have been? Blu? Other stuff that doesn't exist?
The tobacco control crowd have no delusions, they aren't stupid. They understand us better than we understand ourselves because they have been studying us for years. As Bill G observed, and what is obvious, they want the status quo, meaning, ecigs are banned and tobacco continues to be for sale the same as always. Any other outcome threatens their funding and THAT is the MOST important thing to them. Getting rid of them will be an even greater benefit to mankind than getting rid of smoking.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

Actually the FDA 'backed off' some of those findings citing 'outliers'. Although the ANTZ, ALA, ACA and other self-interested organizations did not. - they still use stuff that even the FDA has denied as relevant.

Part is in the deeming itself:

Despite the existence of certain
toxicants in e-cigarette devices and the
exhaled aerosol, several studies support
the notion that the quantity of toxicants
is significantly less than those in
tobacco cigarettes and tobacco smoke
and similar to those contained in
recognized nicotine-replacement
therapies. For example, researchers
reviewing the result of 16 laboratory
analyses of e-cigarettes only found trace
levels of TSNAs, and these were at
levels similar to those in the nicotine
patch (Ref. 41). Testing on some devices
also has revealed the existence of
TSNAs in cartridge fluid, but generally
at low levels similar to those in nicotine
replacement therapies (Refs.108).

Another study, published in 2013, also
found cadmium, lead, and nickel in the
e-cigarette aerosol but only in trace
levels and comparable to those levels
found in the Nicorette inhaler (Ref. 47).
Two researchers stated in 2011 that the
‘‘preponderance of the available
evidence shows [e-cigarettes] to be
much safer than tobacco cigarettes and
comparable in toxicity to conventional
nicotine replacement products’’ (Ref.
41).

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
Glantz would have to find a job in his native training (applied mechanics) after years of sitting in his ivory tower demonizing smokers. Imagine that!

Its not imaginary, happens more often than you might think ... :blink:

Worked with a project manager once, nice enough guy but he had a degree in physics and 20 years of managing his family's restaurant until it failed, not one day of engineering experience ... o_O

Every bit of information he received was filtered through a hazy recollection of training from two decades before. It was a train wreck ... :shock:

On the bright side, some TC advocates could easily transition to politics, or maybe hate groups ... :rolleyes:

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
Its not imaginary, happens more often than you might think ... :blink:

Worked with a project manager once, nice enough guy but he had a degree in physics and 20 years of managing his family's restaurant until it failed, not one day of engineering experience ... o_O

Every bit of information he received was filtered through a hazy recollection of training from two decades before. It was a train wreck ... :shock:

On the bright side, some TC advocates could easily transition to politics, or maybe hate groups ... :rolleyes:

Silly me, but I thought they already were a hate group.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread