E-cigarettes on the Today Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoJoVa

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2013
Washington, DC
Not sure if anyone caught the piece on this morning's Today Show. The first part of the segment talks about the growth of ecigs and drop of cigarette sales in the first 2 months of 2013 (glad to be part of that stat!). The 2nd part is Dr. Nancy Snyderman, a cancer surgeon, who basically supports the ecig as a step down to quitting smoking. When asked about the lack of long term studies, she discussed how nicotene is not harmful, it's the 4,000 carcinogens.

Sales of electronic cigarettes on the rise - Video on TODAY.com

she also tweeted this: @DrNancyNBCNEWS: E cigarettes @todayshow Nicotine is addicting but in small doses prob OK. But the tar and carcinogens in real cigarettes will kill you

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Dr. Nancy Snyderman did an excellent job correctly pointing out (and reiterating several times) that e-cigarettes are far less hazardous alternatives for cigarette smokers.

Unfortunately, in response to a question if e-cigs addict nonsmokers to nicotine, Snyderman inaccurately said the issue hasn't been studied.

In fact, the same CDC survey that Today showed graphics of (i.e. that 10% of smokers had used an e-cig in 2010, which increased to 20% in 2011) also found that cigarette smokers were 16 times more likely to have ever used an e-cig than nonsmokers in 2011, a recent UK survey couldn't find any nonsmoker in who regularly used e-cigarettes, and there is still no evidence that ANY nonsmoker (anywhere in the world) has become addicted to nicotine by using e-cigarettes.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Dr. Nancy Snyderman did an excellent job correctly pointing out (and reiterating several times) that e-cigarettes are far less hazardous alternatives for cigarette smokers.

Unfortunately, in response to a question if e-cigs addict nonsmokers to nicotine, Snyderman inaccurately said the issue hasn't been studied.

In fact, the same CDC survey that Today showed graphics of (i.e. that 10% of smokers had used an e-cig in 2010, which increased to 20% in 2011) also found that cigarette smokers were 16 times more likely to have ever used an e-cig than nonsmokers in 2011, a recent UK survey couldn't find any nonsmoker in who regularly used e-cigarettes, and there is still no evidence that ANY nonsmoker (anywhere in the world) has become addicted to nicotine by using e-cigarettes.
Good info to combat the propaganda (Lies) that non-smokers,
including kids, can become addicted to e-cigarettes !!

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
It would be interesting to get data on non-smokers who start to use an ecig. There are very few of them now, but there will be many more in the future. It would probably be a good idea if all prospective smokers chose to start with an ecig, for many reasons. One of them is that it seems likely that pure nicotine is less dependence-forming than smoking. Some think it has limited potential for creating dependence unless supplied in tobacco smoke - I have no idea if this is true; it would be fascinating to find out. I cannot locate any study of nicotine administration to humans so this information would be a research first; all citations lead to smoking dependence (or dependence after smoking), which is not relevant to 'nicotine addiction'.

The trouble is that most smokers seem to start before 25, and some much younger; but youngsters are very unlikely to start with an ecig as it isn't cool, they cost too much, and friends have cigarettes for the asking.

morri

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2012
Texas
It would be interesting to get data on non-smokers who start to use an ecig. There are very few of them now, but there will be many more in the future. It would probably be a good idea if all prospective smokers chose to start with an ecig, for many reasons. One of them is that it seems likely that pure nicotine is less dependence-forming than smoking. Some think it has limited potential for creating dependence unless supplied in tobacco smoke - I have no idea if this is true; it would be fascinating to find out. I cannot locate any study of nicotine administration to humans so this information would be a research first; all citations lead to smoking dependence (or dependence after smoking), which is not relevant to 'nicotine addiction'.

The trouble is that most smokers seem to start before 25, and some much younger; but youngsters are very unlikely to start with an ecig as it isn't cool, they cost too much, and friends have cigarettes for the asking.

This may not be relevant to your statement but it seems so. A friend's son, who is in High School began vaping with the argument to his parents that it would be much better than him smoking in secret. He is vaping at 0 nicotine and all of his friends seem to think it is very cool. This could be bad for us as well, as the argument that vaping could encourage children to smoke. However, the counter argument being..... isn't it much better than smoking?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
One of them is that it seems likely that pure nicotine is less dependence-forming than smoking. Some think it has limited potential for creating dependence unless supplied in tobacco smoke - I have no idea if this is true; it would be fascinating to find out.
I am quite certain that it is true, but getting proof would be tremendously helpful to our cause.

I cannot locate any study of nicotine administration to humans so this information would be a research first; all citations lead to smoking dependence (or dependence after smoking), which is not relevant to 'nicotine addiction'.
I keep hearing about it having been shown that people given a nicotine patch for treatment of certain maladies were not shown to have become addicted.
I'm not sure if there is a study, or multiple studies, or if this is just anecdotal evidence.

I think it is Kristin from CASAA that has mentioned this a few times, but I'm not positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread