ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
heck ANYTHING with a straight edge,
then just drag something across it, a mark will be left :D

then get after it with sissors...

:thumb:
He's right, good scissors will do the trick! I finally switched over to scissors as it's easier.
And anything easier is okay in my book. :)

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
frannie, it takes such a small amount you couldn't cut it crooked if you tried! :D
I'm sure Fran is more coordinated than me...had a couple come out pretty crooked.
Straight edge moved, yeah, that's it! The straight edge moved. :lol:
To set your mind at ease, if you cut it a little shorter than 1/4, you can use a needle to move it up
or down through the holes once installed in the cap with a needle. That's how I compensate for my
lack of eye-hand coordination.

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee
I'm declaring my first (partial) success rebuilding a 1.5 coil. I took the same coil that gave me such a hard time a week or so ago and started all over. Back then I got far enough along that I could get a reading on an ohm meter, but the resistance was very unsteady and slowly fell from 1.5 to .7 something before I declared it a fail. I also had one heckuva time getting the outer cap off but finally managed.

This time I got a stable coil at 1.31 ohms. Got the casing back on but still not sure it was perfect. Put it in an atty and it vapes. IT VAPES!! :thumb:

OK, it wasn't the smoothest vape. A bit of flooding at the start (underwicked maybe?) and still gurgling a bit, but the son of a gun was vaping...lol

I'll get better. I still think the outer cap was a bit crooked and the flavor was not as good as a store-bought 1.5, but I now feel like I can get there with practice. I'll probably just tear this one down and re-do it when the mood strikes.

By the way, someone recommended one of those magnifying lamps the other day. I meant to bookmark it but apparently did not. Anyone have a recommendation?

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
No razor knife?
I first cut it with a razor knife and straight edge, cutting board was a Teflon material and either the
mesh or the straight edge would shift sometimes. I switched to scissors and if I veered a bit on the
wide side, I would merely trim it a bit. If it was a little short of the 1/4 inch, I adjust it once installed
in the cap. Lot of leeway with this stuff.

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
am I wrong sayin' (been awhile since I played with mesh)
that once you have that 'little' strip, taking sissors to it leads to 'fraying'
tends to pull threads out and comes apart...

:unsure:

I think sissors would be a lot easier... ?
I haven't had an issue with fraying with either the scissors or razor knife...so far. :?:

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
I'm declaring my first (partial) success rebuilding a 1.5 coil. I took the same coil that gave me such a hard time a week or so ago and started all over. Back then I got far enough along that I could get a reading on an ohm meter, but the resistance was very unsteady and slowly fell from 1.5 to .7 something before I declared it a fail. I also had one heckuva time getting the outer cap off but finally managed.

This time I got a stable coil at 1.31 ohms. Got the casing back on but still not sure it was perfect. Put it in an atty and it vapes. IT VAPES!! :thumb:

OK, it wasn't the smoothest vape. A bit of flooding at the start (underwicked maybe?) and still gurgling a bit, but the son of a gun was vaping...lol

I'll get better. I still think the outer cap was a bit crooked and the flavor was not as good as a store-bought 1.5, but I now feel like I can get there with practice. I'll probably just tear this one down and re-do it when the mood strikes.

By the way, someone recommended one of those magnifying lamps the other day. I meant to bookmark it but apparently did not. Anyone have a recommendation?
If your cap is too far off, the glass top will not screw onto the base. Sometimes screwing the top to the base of the tank will push the cap into place. But I wouldn't count on it.
Congratulations! It only gets better! Wicking can be one of the more difficult things to master.

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee
I have a magnifying lamp like this...

I don't remember where I got it. It's a bit of overkill for recoiling, but I use it for a lot of stuff!
Yeah, I was looking at some similar to that. Like everything else, there are so many available that I don't know which to get. Some can be quite pricey.

It looks to me like the cap is a wee bit skewed after it put it back on, not just perfectly level and even. It's close enough that it works at least. I felt the wicking was a bit sparse when I did it but decided to try it. Will add a bit more next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread