Eleaf GS Air Fan : Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koolkiz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2014
United States
Great. I bought five boxes of 1.5 coils from them, then went back and added a couple Picos for about $21.75 each.

Great stock up price.

I might go back and pick up a few things on Monday. I should have bought more coils. I think I bought a version of the gs tank a few years back. IDK if I liked it or not. I have been through so many tanks and now I'm happy with just the MTL tanks.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Great stock up price.

I might go back and pick up a few things on Monday. I should have bought more coils. I think I bought a version of the gs tank a few years back. IDK if I liked it or not. I have been through so many tanks and now I'm happy with just the MTL tanks.
The GS Tank works about the same as the M series, but has a slightly different form factor. Short and stubby, so it's very pocketable - and holds more liquid than the MS did. Perfect form factor for me.

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee
Did something last night I haven't done before. I was vaping with an iStick Basic with a 1.5Ω coil when I started getting a grungy taste about every other hit. Obviously, time for a new coil. Instead of taking a new coil out of the box, I removed the used one from the tank, broke it down and rebuilt it at 1.3Ω, put it back in the tank and happily vaped away. I have rebuilt them before but always just stick then on a storage box for later use. This time I wanted to see if I could rebuild one in a timely manner that I could continue to use immediately. Mission accomplished. :banana:

My biggest problem with rebuilding these coils continues to be getting the cap back on straight and snug. It's an all-out battle every time. I've tried IMRs' trick using a tank to get it back on. I'm convinced he has special powers that are not available to me.:(

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
Did something last night I haven't done before. I was vaping with an iStick Basic with a 1.5Ω coil when I started getting a grungy taste about every other hit. Obviously, time for a new coil. Instead of taking a new coil out of the box,
I removed the used one from the tank, broke it down and rebuilt it at 1.3Ω, put it back in the tank and happily vaped away. I have rebuilt them
before but always just stick then on a storage box for later use. This time I wanted to see if I could rebuild one in a timely manner that I could continue to use immediately. Mission accomplished. :banana:
My biggest problem with rebuilding these coils continues to be getting the cap back on straight and snug. It's an all-out battle every time. I've tried IMRs' trick using a tank to get it back on.
I'm convinced he has special powers that are not available to me.:(

that's how I've been doing it for awhile now

I no longer make coils in advance, I just clean and rewick them OR wrap a new wire / rewick

they have become so reliable and trouble free, plus qwik-n-easy to build, I just don't have a need to make multiple coils in advance...

as far as back-ups, I carry whole rigs or even just tanks loaded ready to go...

:w00t: :evil:

Reactions: MikeADore

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee

Mohid

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2016
Pakistan
Today I rebuilt my first coil. After spoiling some white with a kuro koiler clone which might have been my fault, I just used the needle and built it manually. It looked alright and my iStick showed it to be 0.9ohm which later dropped to 0.8ohm. That was what I was aiming for. Wicking a coil this tiny wasn't easy. I think I might have even disturbed the coil a little. But it fires fine.

Now I'm getting a funny taste from it. The taste is unknown to me. I was never good with tasting anyway but this is not what it tasted like with stock coils. Anybody have an idea why this might be?

Oh and I'm using organic cotton for wick which I also previously used for rewicking EGO CLR and it didn't change the flavor.

Reactions: pufZeppelin

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
Today I rebuilt my first coil. After spoiling some white with a kuro koiler clone which might have been my fault, I just used the needle and built it manually. It looked alright and my iStick showed it to be 0.9ohm which later dropped to 0.8ohm. That was what I was aiming for. Wicking a coil this tiny wasn't easy. I think I might have even disturbed the coil a little. But it fires fine.

Now I'm getting a funny taste from it. The taste is unknown to me. I was never good with tasting anyway but this is not what it tasted like with stock coils. Anybody have an idea why this might be?

Oh and I'm using organic cotton for wick which I also previously used for rewicking EGO CLR and it didn't change the flavor.

hey, that's GREAT !

I'd say the funny taste is " OIL " on the wire

did you burn the oil off BEFORE you used the wire, or " dry burn " the coil when you installed it BEFORE you
threaded the cotton in... ?

I learned (at first) to cut the length of wire you were gonna use
then run a lighter over it to anneal it AND burn the oil off...

but now I just dry-burn the coil slightly and watch the wisp of smoke roll off and wire is clean;
rinse it off helps then also...

then wick it up with cotton/rayon

then I find there is a short time of "BREAK-IN" period with each build - could be several puffs, or half a tank

just keep after it - it will become much easier for sure ;)

Mohid

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2016
Pakistan
hey, that's GREAT !

I'd say the funny taste is " OIL " on the wire

did you burn the oil off BEFORE you used the wire, or " dry burn " the coil when you installed it BEFORE you
threaded the cotton in... ?

I learned (at first) to cut the length of wire you were gonna use
then run a lighter over it to anneal it AND burn the oil off...

but now I just dry-burn the coil slightly and watch the wisp of smoke roll off and wire is clean;
rinse it off helps then also...

then wick it up with cotton/rayon

then I find there is a short time of "BREAK-IN" period with each build - could be several puffs, or half a tank

just keep after it - it will become much easier for sure ;)

I did dry burn the coil.. The break-in might be it. After a whole tank I'm not getting the weird taste anymore but that could be because my taste buds have gotten used to it. I have no way of telling :vapor:

Reactions: pufZeppelin

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
I did dry burn the coil.. The break-in might be it.
After a whole tank I'm not getting the weird taste anymore but that could be because my taste buds have gotten used to it. I have no way of telling :vapor:

a good way to tell, rebuild ANOTHER and see how it breaks-in compared to your taste buds... :D:D:D

Reactions: Mohid

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
I did dry burn the coil.. The break-in might be it. After a whole tank I'm not getting the weird taste anymore but that could be because my taste buds have gotten used to it. I have no way of telling :vapor:
It's probably the taste of new cotton. Sometimes lasts maybe 1/4 to 1/2 tank - sometimes less. Little bit of harshness too - then mellows out.

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
Very good idea :D I'm gonna do it this weekend :)

But that couldn't be it because I used the same cotton for rewicking the CLR coil and it tasted fine.

•ya know the `ole sayin' - "practice makes perfect" :D

•I've definately experienced 'slightly off' or 'kinda foul' taste from new cotton & rayon, which goes away fairly qwik... :)

Reactions: IMRs

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee
I'm still waiting on my order. It had a delivery date of Thursday. I have a feeling it was lost but will hold out till Mon or Tues. First order from this place :(
Have you gone to the order page and checked the tracking information? Rocky Mountain Vapor has an excellent reputation. No company is perfect, of course, but I'd be willing to bet you are experiencing a mail problem, especially considering the volume USPS is dealing with right now. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread