Status
Not open for further replies.

flowerpots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
my desk
what do you dissolve it in? pg/vg or water? and in what percentage would help too I guess

I think you have to dissolve it in hot liquid first to get it to dissolve well. I'm going to use hot distilled water, then mix it with VG or PG.

It is 75% of the sweetness level of regular sugar, if that helps.

Last edited:

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
Im still thinking that after a month or so, it will eventually gunk up an atomizer. After that long, I'd rebuild or fit another atty anyway. A week is probably not long enough to say about the clogging factor.
Sugar would gunk up rather quickly. Like in a few hits. I'm gonna test this sweetener, by placing a drop on a SS hot skillet. If it vaporizes with no residue. It's good to go. If not, I guess I'll use it in my coffee :D

MarkyD

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
Blue Ridge
Sugar would gunk up rather quickly. Like in a few hits. I'm gonna test this sweetener, by placing a drop on a SS hot skillet. If it vaporizes with no residue. It's good to go. If not, I guess I'll use it in my coffee :D

Good idea, so I tried... it turns into a little ball that rolls around for a second, goes *pop* and a little poof of vapor comes up, and is gone. Ive been using in ce3's at 3-4ml/day.

Edit: I thought maybe I used too much heat the first time and it just zapped, so I tried again 3 drops starting with lower heat and bringing it up until it started vaporizing. It left no gummy/sticky residue but I can see where it stained the pan. I tried yet again with sucralose and it did the same thing, it left nothing but I can see a stain.

Edit: As a test I heated 3 vendor-made juices in the same manner, all 3 of them left as much as or even more stain than the erythritol or sucralose did.

Last edit: I think I like this... I used a propane torch as a bunsen burner and spot-heated the erythritol on stainless steel, attempting to vaporize it more rapidly without frying it. Nearly nothing remains not even a stain.

Last edited:

MarkyD

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
Blue Ridge
I diluted the sweetener base with even more pg to get a more forgiving mixing ratio. Still working with the crystal base until the liquid gets here. 1/2 packet of crystals in 20ml of pg is probably still too strong. I wasnt too concerned about getting all of them to dissolve in the pg, I allowed it to settle and drew off only clear pg with a pipette before pushing through cotton, and it was still overpowering all my other flavors even at 1%.

bunnomatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Conway,SC
I diluted the sweetener base with even more pg to get a more forgiving mixing ratio. Still working with the crystal base until the liquid gets here. 1/2 packet of crystals in 20ml of pg is probably still too strong. I wasnt too concerned about getting all of them to dissolve in the pg, I allowed it to settle and drew off only clear pg with a pipette before pushing through cotton, and it was still overpowering all my other flavors even at 1%.

When you say overpowering do you mean it is too sweet? or the throat hit cooling effect is too much?

MarkyD

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
Blue Ridge
It is much too sweet. The cooling effect is really mild, but does lead me to vape in deeper hits and larger quantities than I normally do. Just a note about health and safety, although erythritol and xylitol are both used in nasal mists, and I was directed to the MSDS information that basically says they are regarded as safe for inhalation, I cannot recommend trying anything whose effects are unknown to the person trying them. I am neither a pharmacist nor a chemist. By all means, if one does try using either of them, do so at your own risk and please be careful. I have not noticed any negative health-related side effects, but not everyone reacts the same to a given substance.

MSDS on erythritol:

http://www.theingredienthouse.com/common/msds/RightSweet Erythritol MSDS no OM 6-12.pdf

The blog referred to in post #6 of this thread, as well as the wikipedia entry for erythritol, are informative.

Last edited:

MarkyD

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
Blue Ridge
The more I think about it, the more I worry that it sounds like Im promoting something that could turn out to have a negative or harmful effect, although the information I have gathered would suggest otherwise, and I have noticed no ill effects so far. If I do something and it harms me, its no one's fault but my own. If I say "Oh, I used this or that, its good" and someone else takes me at that word, does it and something bad results, then I would have to live with the consequences of that. Perhaps Im just being paranoid, but Id not wish for any harm to come to anyone else. As per the OP's question regarding the subject, I feel its better to share what results I got, and at least have that information out in the open.

flowerpots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
my desk
The more I think about it, the more I worry that it sounds like Im promoting something that could turn out to have a negative or harmful effect, although the information I have gathered would suggest otherwise, and I have noticed no ill effects so far. If I do something and it harms me, its no one's fault but my own. If I say "Oh, I used this or that, its good" and someone else takes me at that word, does it and something bad results, then I would have to live with the consequences of that. Perhaps Im just being paranoid, but Id not wish for any harm to come to anyone else. As per the OP's question regarding the subject, I feel its better to share what results I got, and at least have that information out in the open.

You are right that using this sweetener is questionable. The information you have provided has been helpful. It's a risk, I think, regardless. But, I'm not sure how much of one. I don't imagine it to be any more dangerous than say EM or Koolada, but that's only a guess on my part.

bunnomatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Conway,SC
It is much too sweet. The cooling effect is really mild, but does lead me to vape in deeper hits and larger quantities than I normally do. Just a note about health and safety, although erythritol and xylitol are both used in nasal mists, and I was directed to the MSDS information that basically says they are regarded as safe for inhalation, I cannot recommend trying anything whose effects are unknown to the person trying them. I am neither a pharmacist nor a chemist. By all means, if one does try using either of them, do so at your own risk and please be careful. I have not noticed any negative health-related side effects, but not everyone reacts the same to a given substance.

MSDS on erythritol:

http://www.theingredienthouse.com/common/msds/RightSweet Erythritol MSDS no OM 6-12.pdf

The blog referred to in post #6 of this thread, as well as the wikipedia entry for erythritol, are informative.

Thanks for the info. I don't have any yet to play around with so I can only speculate at this point. It sounds like you have made a concentrated solution. Possibly a drop of that mix into 5-10 mil of pg/vg might bring it down to a vapeable mixture?

rebgold

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2013
Wichita, KS
I think we all realize trying something new that isn't tested may pose risks. It's mainly coincidence that several of us were searching for a sweetening alternative in our DIY and met on this thread. Although the options are fairly limited so it may have been a matter of time. Flowerpots already has eryrithritol and I actually have a bag of it in my save for later cart on Amazon. I don't think any of us would consider you responsible for anything by sharing your experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread