Status
Not open for further replies.

skye

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2011
Texas
Hi eveyone,

I am beginning to DIY my own liquids, and have been reading, and learning, a lot here on the forum.
Thanks to everyone who has posted about DIY e-liquids. Y'all are great!

I have a question about adding Ethyl Maltol. I know many suppliers add this, and some liquids smell strong of it. It doesn't taste good at all if too much is added, no matter how long I steep it. Is there anything I can do to tame it down some?

Why add it? What does it do for the liquid? Does all e-liquid have Ethyl Maltol in it?

Thanks to all for your answers, and any advice.

Skye

Reactions: Laura Miller

Silent Soldier

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2011
Saint Petersburg, Florida USA
Ethyl Maltol is the the main ingredient in the cotton candy flavor. most people who use it as sweetener add about 1 drop per ml of mixed juice. many also state that it it's a slow acting sweetener and needs time to steep. I personally don't care for it and am getting ready to experiment with making my own liquid sucralose sweetener from pure sucralose powder.

skye

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2011
Texas
Ah ok.... and some suppliers use alcohol to dissolve the Ethyl Maltol crystals.
So it's the alcohol I am smelling. yuck!

Good to know I can use PG instead. Or like you said, Silent, use sucralose sweetener.
Cause some of this stuff I've bought
is un-vapeable, and I don't want to make anything like that.

Thanks Para, and Silent.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Ethyl Maltol acts as a buffer more than a sweetener IMO, although in greater qty it will add sweetness. It is normally dissolved 1/4tsp in 10ml of PG and used at 1-5% by some folks.

I use it to take away the "dryness" felt with all tobacco flavours at 3%. It rounds out the vape without adding sweetness perse.

With fruit flavours it is known to take off the edge/sharpness of certain flavours. That is why I call it a buffer rather than a sweetener.

There is no need to dissolve it with PGA or alcohol. I believe this stems from folks mis-interpreting the proper dillution of TA (tobacco absolute) which does in fact need to be diluted in PGA for total suspension. TA diluted in both PG and VG separates after time. Depending how strong a tobacco flavour you like, TA is disolved at a ratio of 1-4 drops per 10ml PGA.

Silent Soldier

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2011
Saint Petersburg, Florida USA
OSDIYS describes their pure Ethyl maltol as this:

"Our Ethyl Maltol comes in a 6cc bottle and is filled with 5ml of pure Ethyl Maltol crystals.

Ethyl Maltol is a very pleasant smelling chemical that is used as a flavorant for the food, beverage, tobacco, and fragrance industry. Ethyl Maltol can be described as having notes of caramelized sugar or cotton candy.

Ethyl Maltol can sweeten/soften sharp flavors in liquid, especially tobacco absolute.

Suggested dilution: Dissolve 1/4 teaspoon of Ethyl Maltol crystals in 10ml of PGA (Pure Grain Alcohol).

Diluted mixture can then be added to your liquid. Start with one or two drops per 6ml of liquid. Add more to soften or sweeten liquid to your taste."

The bottle of FA cotton candy I have lists the ingredients as: Propylene glycol, Ethyl alcohol.

crackbag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.thecrackhouse.net
OSDIYS describes their pure Ethyl maltol as this:

"Our Ethyl Maltol comes in a 6cc bottle and is filled with 5ml of pure Ethyl Maltol crystals.

Ethyl Maltol is a very pleasant smelling chemical that is used as a flavorant for the food, beverage, tobacco, and fragrance industry. Ethyl Maltol can be described as having notes of caramelized sugar or cotton candy.

Ethyl Maltol can sweeten/soften sharp flavors in liquid, especially tobacco absolute.

Suggested dilution: Dissolve 1/4 teaspoon of Ethyl Maltol crystals in 10ml of PGA (Pure Grain Alcohol).

Diluted mixture can then be added to your liquid. Start with one or two drops per 6ml of liquid. Add more to soften or sweeten liquid to your taste."

The bottle of FA cotton candy I have lists the ingredients as: Propylene glycol, Ethyl alcohol.

thank you for that so im golden then?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread