The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Ethyl Maltol

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Fidola13, Jan 3, 2018.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Fidola13

Fidola13 Senior Member

Supporting member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    some of the juice recipes I’ve found call for ethyl maltol others sweetener. I purchased sweetener as part of a DIY Starter kit but I could not find ethyl maltol.

Is it a sweetener? And if so can I substitute sweetener for ethyl maltol or should I buy some?

Thanks!

sara

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sugar_and_Spice

Sugar_and_Spice Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    EM is not really needed and I don't consider it a sweetener, per se. It can give a slightly sweet taste to a mix, but you will never be able to use enough of it to actually sweeten it. EM will give a mix a fuller mouth feel, some say. I have tried it once, maybe twice and never saw its appeal.

YMMV.

:)

eta. If you have purchased a cotton candy type of flavor, then you already have it. Its all em.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Mrdaputer

Mrdaputer Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 28, 2014
    MN
    If you are looking for a sweetener go with CAP super sweet. Careful a little goes a long way. It is super sweet

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. classwife

classwife Admin
    Asst Classifieds Mgr
    Ask The Vets Mgr
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Moved you to DIY E-Liquid from General E-Liquid Discussion

• Like Like x 1
  5. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Usually Cotton Cady flavoring is made of Ethyl Maltol.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I have cotton candy and use it sparingly in SOME mixes. My go to sweetener though is FA Super Sweet, it's sucralose and at a fairly high percentage so yes, a few drops go a long way. I am a reluctant sweetener, and generally only use a couple drops maximum though I do like layering in some sweetness at times by using flavors like marshmallow, cotton candy and merengue. Some of those give a nice depth to the sweetness.

But if I'm using a sweetener individually, it will always be Super Sweet. I've used sucralose for a long time as my artificial sweetener, it doesn't mess with me like some, and I trust it as I know how it works... :)

Anna

• Like Like x 3
  7. go_player

go_player Super Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 2, 2012
    USA
    I wouldn't consider EM (or methyl maltol, which is generally just listed as Maltol in MSDSs, etc.) a sweetener in the same sense that sucralose is. No matter how much you use it will never give you "sugar lips," nor will it give you the the extreme sweetness of much commercial juice.

That said, it does add a sweet note to flavors, and many flavors you use probably already contain a great deal of it, for that reason. There are other compounds like that- vanillin and related compounds also add an impression of sweetness.

I don't think EM is best used as a sweetener, especially because it seems to mute other flavors. It can be used effectively for just that quality though, to round out the rough edges of certain harsh flavors.

You actually need to be a bit careful about adding EM to juice because so many flavors are already loaded with it, and it has odd effects at high percentages. In my experience you can easily wind up with too much EM without actually adding any as an additive, if you stack too many high EM flavors in one recipe. Adding more EM would just make that worse.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Fidola13

Fidola13 Senior Member

Supporting member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    Thanks for your insight!! I ended up ordering a small amount because several of the recipes I’m going to use call for it but I may lower the amount of EM. I can always add more if needed.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Beamslider

Beamslider Ultra Member Verified Member

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    Ethyl Maltol isn't really a sweetner unless you add a lot of it to the juice, then it will ruin the taste of the juice. A tiny amount around 1/2 percent or less can add a good mouth feel and blend some flavors. It can also take the tartness out of some fruit flavors. You mostly don't need it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Fidola13

Fidola13 Senior Member

Supporting member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    Thanks for the response. I’ll keep that in my mind when I start mixing the recipes!!

sara

• Like Like x 1
  11. smacuser

smacuser Avid Vapper Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Augustine, FL
    Put a couple of drops in my tank with some tobacco just now to round out the harsh notes.

I initially bought it to add to my strawberry.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. IDJoel

IDJoel Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    When I am mixing someone else's recipe, and it calls for EM; I leave it out for my initial trial. Then, and only "if" I feel like something is missing (or just kind of "not right"), will I begin adding EM. Often I can do just fine without. Other times it can help (some recipes more; other recipes less). And then there are the times it just makes matters worse.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. go_player

go_player Super Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 2, 2012
    USA
    It’s definitely worth having. A bit of EM really improves some recipes. But also something to be a bit cautious with, IMHO. I tend to go pretty light on the pure additives though, for the most part. YMMV.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Letitia

Letitia Nano Junkie

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I don't use it or sweetener. So far a touch of meringue, marshmallow, or pear works well for me. I have broke down and ordered a custard to use at low percentages for added mouth feel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1