Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
So I see the Dreamer's Wish List is open again @Eric Parlin.

The Reos are my end game, I prefer them over all my other gear. But I don't 'need' anymore Reos when I have a couple of dozen that I don't even use anymore. But there is some things that would entice me to be a Reo buyer again.

Least likely to ever happen:
1. A P67 dna 75W tops the list.
2. A mech dual series battery P67.
3. An 18490 P67.

4. Resin Reos don't really appeal to me (unless they are the only way to get #1, #2 or #3 above).

More likely to happen:
5. P67's done in some brand new exciting colors instead of the same tired old colors that have been the norm on the metal Reos for years. IOW I already have way too many basic black, grey, silver and white Reos. The glitter colors never appealed to me, nor did the bright green, orange, yellow, etc smooth finishes. My thing is baked on textured finishes and anodized smooth finishes.
..... I fully understand why Rob stayed with those colors/finishes, we had talked about it many times. In a nutshell many of the other colors he had tried didn't work for various reasons on the Reos. With the anodized he didn't have a local company that could do a good job without too many looses due to flaws. Using one source for colors, and one source for anodizing had it's limits.

I think there would be at least a small market for #1 & #2, maybe a stronger market for #3 & #4. But #5 is an option that should appeal to all potential Reo buyers that R&D for could be implemented almost immediately with very little cash outlay.

All for now FWIW.
View attachment 687817

Can scratch the dual batt Reo off my list, my Velvet Purple Haze is incoming.

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
One thing that just came to me, as a result of the vaping I currently do, on the mods I have that we're made by one of our other fine ECF craftsmen.
If REOs mods ever chose to produce Woodvils again; I'd suggest looking into offering a CA finish. The results can be spectacular, once the procedure is mastered, and it's a very durable finish.
Hey there Rule! Can you clarify what a CA finish is? Thanks.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
It’s basically like finishing wood with superglue. It’s used often on wood pens and knife handles. It produces a hard, durable, plastic like, shiny finish.

Agree, and will add that if applied right also effectively seals in the woods natural toxicity (all woods are toxic to some degree... some species of them can be deadly toxic).

To each their own, but I personally wouldn't buy a Woodvil with a CA finish. To clarify why... because as someone who crafted fine woods for over 5 decades, it's a finish that I would have never used on any of my fine woods. With the type of crafts I made from exotic woods toxicity was a serious issue that I had to deal with, I simply had to seal it in. Over the years I developed and custom made my own finishes to do the same, applied as a multi layer hand rubbed finish that brings out all the beauty and depth of the woods natural colors and figure better than any other, doesn't plug the grains, is not glossy or plastic like, was chip proof, etc. With the number of coats I rubbed in they were every bit as durable and waterproof as CA.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Agree, and will add that if applied right also effectively seals in the woods natural toxicity (all woods are toxic to some degree... some species of them can be deadly toxic).

To each their own, but I personally wouldn't buy a Woodvil with a CA finish. To clarify why... because as someone who crafted fine woods for over 5 decades, it's a finish that I would have never used on any of my fine woods. With the type of crafts I made from exotic woods toxicity was a serious issue that I had to deal with, I simply had to seal it in. Over the years I developed and custom made my own finishes to do the same, applied as a multi layer hand rubbed finish that brings out all the beauty and depth of the woods natural colors and figure better than any other, doesn't plug the grains, is not glossy or plastic like, was chip proof, etc. With the number of coats I rubbed in they were every bit as durable and waterproof as CA.

Personal preference. That’s why Peter (pdib) offered his mods in a choice of oiled or CA. Some people opted for the CA. I didn’t. I really like the look and feel of the CA. But IMO, the CA finish is superior to the lacquer finish that was offered on the 2015 Woodvils.
Curiously, and don’t ask me why, but all 6 of my 2015 Woodvils are oil finish. But my 4 Pdib Li’l Pinches are all CA. It’s a beautiful finish, that requires very little maintenance. You don’t even have to wax or polish it. It kinda self polishes just by handling.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Sounds nice.. but to do that to 100s of woodvils would take a crap load of time.

It is time consuming. Very labor intensive. It’s a major reason why CA finished mods are so expensive. I’d take a rough guess that the cost would nearly double.

Reactions: SteamStack

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
But IMO, the CA finish is superior to the lacquer finish that was offered on the 2015 Woodvils.
... by an order of magnitude.

ETA: I grabbed a number of 2015 Woodvils. TBH, I was disappointed in the "poly" finished ones. The only one I ended up keeping was an oil-finished one (a Cocobolo). The "poly" finish had neither the spectacular appearance of CA nor the sensuous tactile feel of oil-finished wood.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: mackman

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
... by an order of magnitude.

ETA: I grabbed a number of 2015 Woodvils. TBH, I was disappointed in the "poly" finished ones. The only one I ended up keeping was an oil-finished one (a Cocobolo). The "poly" finish had neither the spectacular appearance of CA nor the sensuous tactile feel of oil-finished wood.

I have two cocobolo 2015 Woodvils, one with a birdseye maple door. I love the feel of oiled cocobolo. It has a nice, warm, tactile feel. But with my coco Pinch, I went with CA. In the year I’ve had It, the reddish color hasn’t darkened a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread