Contemplating My First Reo

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadLuckAndTrouble

Oct 29, 2015
Fort Worth, TX
Hey Guys,

I am seriously contemplating my first ReoMods purchase, but I have just a couple of questions for those of you well versed in the way of the Reo lol. These will help me determine if a Reo is right for me, and any input would be greatly appreciated!

1. Does anyone run their Reo in the .3 oHm range? How quickly does it ramp up? I am use to imediate thick warm vapor from a copper hybrid tube, Im not expecting it to match performance wise, but after watching S_X_D's voltage drop test on youtube, it doesnt seem any different than a Mech with a floating pin.

2. I am use to using a Goblin Mini RTA and have had a hard time finding an rda with a chamber as small that will fit dual micro coils and produce the vapor consistency which I am accustomed to. Also a slightly restricted MTL draw. Which Reomizer would be best suited for my needs?

And finally
3. I am torn between a regular Reo Grand LP with just a SL door or a whole SL mod, Is the weight truly negligible seeing as it is aluminum? Do you find that pocket debris makes its way into the SL models? I lust after a LP Silver Vein model with a SL blaze orange door for some odd reason lol.

Thank You very much for taking the time to read, and hopefully answer my (most likely redundant) questions lol,

BLT

Reactions: Robinowitz

jifjifjif

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Vape Canaveral, FL
Hey man.

You'll get a bunch of great answers here soon, but here's my quick and easy answers.

1. Ramps up quick and hits like a beast.
2. RM2 or RM3
3. No lint. Your choice.

I sure hope you place an order. You'll be thrilled.

20151225_123145.jpg

BadLuckAndTrouble

Oct 29, 2015
Fort Worth, TX
Thats crazy, that is literally the configuration Im looking for, is it Silver Vein or crinkle?
I can see some of the detail on the right side, browsing on my phone at the moment.

Thank you for taking the time to respond @jifjifjif

I see y'all have a tight knit community here, and the Reo has such a cult following!

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Good for you for thinking of a Reo. They really are special, cultlike following aside.

In answer to your questions...

1. Running at .3 ohms is no issue. It's better to have the new gold contacts (available on all new reos) for this - less voltage drop, amongst other benefits. Deoxit gold applied to the contacts is also highly recommended, as is regular cleaning.

2. The best small chamber dual coil atty of Rob's is prolly the RM3. No afc, but it's a 14mm atty with three posts and two holes in the cap (which can be enlarged if you have the tools and the inclination to do it). Other atties which would check a lot of your boxes would be the Origen Little 16mm and the Nuppin' (have to search the classies to find one). They are a tad larger than the RM3, but have afc and don't scrimp on the flavour.

3. SL bodies are lighter than non-SL, but it's not like a grand is very heavy to begin with. Personally, I don't feel they're really different in that respect, so the two factors I'd consider are: 1) dirt (not really an issue unless you find yourself in high particulate environments such as construction sites, machine shops, sandy beaches, etc.), and 2) aesthetics (I personally really dig the SL's and find that even just a SL door jazzes up a 'regular' reo).

You seem pretty experienced with mechs, RDA's, building, and so forth, so your transition would really only amount to learning how to squonk which should take about 45 minutes to master (if that).

Having done dripping, RTA's, tube mechs, and a lot more, I'm here to tell you that squonking is the very best that vaping can offer. I hope you get the chance to find out for yourself.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Really don't matter which one you buy first as there will be another to soon follow! Haha

Personally I use a all day beater raw aluminum lp reo grand that can take any abuse. No worry of scratches or scuff marks as I can sand her smooth agsin if needed.

Besides that I have 5 2025 woodvils and a reo mini 14500 for the wife that's never used.

Dual coil I'd say derringer/rm8? Or a origin little 16 is pretty bad ... with its ease of coiling and deck space between the posts just like an rm2 but dual coil and afc.

I've heard lots of people do .3 ohms on a reo.

Make sure to get you some deoxit gold and add a drop to the top of your batteries to keep it from arching and messing up your gold contact on the reo.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Are the older model Reos a bit wider than the newer models? Is the SL for slim? I'm just now getting it, if this is true... haha. & I'm just now seeing that the SL models have the holes in both the door AND the back of the mod. I did-not know that until I checked the site & realized it, just now. Guess this is for weight? I thought it was a new door design, simple as that! haha. Are they noticeably slimmer than the original grands?

Last edited:

BadLuckAndTrouble

Oct 29, 2015
Fort Worth, TX
SL stands for Super Lite lol, just cut outs for weight and aesthetics. And now I know it makes it grippy! Thats an awesome addition that I hadnt thought of.

Ordering on Tuesday if my direct deposit clears Mon at midnight, otherwise Wed lol.

Ordering direct from ReosMods.

Should I get a rebuild kit at the same time?
I wonder if I can get deoxit gold locally, I didnt see it on his site, Im assuming the Noalox will substitute for now?

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
SL stands for Super Lite lol, just cut outs for weight and aesthetics. And now I know it makes it grippy! Thats an awesome addition that I hadnt thought of.

Ordering on Tuesday if my direct deposit clears Mon at midnight, otherwise Wed lol.

Ordering direct from ReosMods.

Should I get a rebuild kit at the same time?
I wonder if I can get deoxit gold locally, I didnt see it on his site, Im assuming the Noalox will substitute for now?
The Noalox will substitute for now....but you're gonna want Deoxit. Check Amazon and eBay. You probably won't need a whole rebuild kit, but an extra gold spring or two would give you a quick fix if you have a short.

Plumes.91, the SL REOs aren't any narrower...just lighter.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I like the all SL for the grip. (also like my non-SL)
    Clean the contacts with alcohol and a soft "white" eraser (pen style if you can find one).
    The rebuild $16 kit will get you an extra bottle set up, spring and firing pin.
    Don't get the $25 rebuild kit. That has parts for the older 510.
    Having an extra spring screw and door magnet is a good idea.

Last edited:

AU717

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 10, 2015
    Spring, TX
    Tightknit and cult following because is is such a fantastic product. Indestructible and reliable. A REO will never let you down. (a battery or a collapsed spring due to a shorted atty might)
    Be sure to observe the differences between the LP and non LP models. The RM8 (derringer) and RM9 (vector) are among my favorites. I am guilty of oversqounking and the Derringer will leak a little, the Vector has less chance of that being top air. 0.35 ohm no problem. 6ml, 1 battery lasts me most of the day, but I have to go outside with the smokers on break so no chain vaping here.
    I am not sure but if your new REO doesn't come with the new 8.5ml bottle and tube kit I suggest ordering one of those as well. The material is softer and easier to squonk.
    And, as many others will tell you, pics are required once received!

fishwater

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 22, 2015
    New Hampshire
    I regularly run both my Reo's at .4, no worries at all with the proper battery. I run flat top batteries with a Reo magnet on top, it reduces the throw & feels better to me than without. Some deoxit on the battery, spring & contact every couple of weeks or when I remember. I own an SL & "regular" Grand, both LP's. I love the feel of either in the hand but the SL looks better IMO. Get one now, then plan on getting another sooner rather than later :thumbs:

fishwater

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 22, 2015
    New Hampshire
    What are the Reo magnets? This is one accessory I have not seen or heard mentioned before now.
    The small magnets for the battery door, just buy a couple extra & stack one on the positive end of your battery. Reduces throw & helps with arching.

BadLuckAndTrouble

Oct 29, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    Been trying to remember, it finally came to me - Born Under a Bad Sign. Is that what your forum name refers to? Bad luck and trouble's been my only friend..............

Haha, yeah man. Good stuff.

Grew up listening to that while my dad worked on his Bel Air.

The Albert King version though.

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2013
    No. Cal.
    Great decision to come over to the "Reo side." Hahaha...just cracked myself up. Whichever style you choose is cool because you will be getting another one (soon). I have both styles of grands. I tend to like the SL a bit more (looks techno & a tad more tactile in my hand. I also like my solid blue metallic because it sparkles. I do get a bit of jean picket lent but it really isn't a big deal (to me).

And oh yeah, you've just inherited a wacky, helpful Reo family. A bonus

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread