Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerrobin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Northern California
Congrats on your purchase @BadLuckAndTrouble! I hope you don't mind if I ride on your coat tails. I didn't want to start a thread with the same exact title. ;)

I'm looking to try squonking, but don't want to invest a ton of money, right off the bat. I've seen a bunch of Reos is the classies, but I don't know the lingo and what parts/extras/modifications, I need to be concerned with.

Help with this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

BadLuckAndTrouble

Oct 29, 2015
Fort Worth, TX
Congrats on your purchase @BadLuckAndTrouble! I hope you don't mind if I ride on your coat tails. I didn't want to start a thread with the same exact title. ;)

I'm looking to try squonking, but don't want to invest a ton of money, right off the bat. I've seen a bunch of Reos is the classies, but I don't know the lingo and what parts/extras/modifications, I need to be concerned with.

Hope someone can point you in the right direction. Im still trying to.figure out the easiest way to become verified and able to view the classifieds lol.

Reactions: rangerrobin

fishwater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2015
New Hampshire
IMG_20160109_141046-1200x2133.jpg You can not go wrong with a Reo, I have some sexy Italian regulated squonkers that I lusted over & they are incredibly nice BUT the Reo's just perform. If you aren't afraid of a mech than go for it, worth every penny & will last forever with a little bit of maintenance. The newer ones come with adjustable 510 which is nice but the old ones with an o-ring under the atty will be almost as good. The adjustable 510 on the new units is pretty indestructable but it's not like the old ones were delicate so consider it a luxury not a must have when buying used. The new sub ohm contacts are (IMO) a must since I build around .4 on my Reo's but those are cheap to add later if you are buying an old one without the upgrade.

Rob.Gee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2014
Montana

Parts are really a matter of opinion really. What type of mods do you usually use? I would suggest at least a low profile model with the updated gold contacts.

rangerrobin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Northern California
Parts are really a matter of opinion really. What type of mods do you usually use? I would suggest at least a low profile model with the updated gold contacts.
I currently use regulated 50w-150w mods with RDAs and RTAs. My builds range from .3 to .5.

I'm a little nervous about unregulated and modifying a device, but willing to give it a try. Where can the extra parts/sub-ohm kits be purchased?

fishwater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2015
New Hampshire
I think most new reos will come with the subohm contacts. You will definitely want an l.p. model.

Yes, all new Reo's come with sub ohm contacts. I also failed to mention in my previous post as @Rob.Gee pointed out that you will want a LP (low profile) version since they allow you to use any atty you want vs the original Reo's that only worked with 16mm atty's.

I have an older Grand that I rebuilt with new contacts & spring as well as a new SL Grand purchased from Reo, both hit the same. The rebuild was extremely easy & brought the old Grand up to brand new specs except for the adjustable 510.

rangerrobin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Northern California
Thanks everyone!
Everything you want & need is available from Reosmods including bottom fed atty's & parts.
Straight from reosmods.com
Rob was an awesome guy to work with!
If I purchased a brand new Reo, besides juice, a BF addy and a battery, what "extras" would I need, if any, to get up and running? i.e. Do they come with a tube and bottle?

fishwater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2015
New Hampshire
They come ready to go with a bottle & tube but I order extra so I can swap flavor's. Plus I ordered an extra spring or three in case I have have a dead short. An extra couple of magnet's since I like them on my flat top batteries, speaking of get LGHG2'S or Samsung 25r's. While you're waiting for them to come watch a few of our very own rock star @super_X_drifter REO video's & prpeare to have your whole vape world rocked when everything is up & running :thumb:

rangerrobin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Northern California
They come ready to go with a bottle & tube but I order extra so I can swap flavor's. Plus I ordered an extra spring or three in case I have have a dead short. An extra couple of magnet's since I like them on my flat top batteries, speaking of get LGHG2'S or Samsung 25r's.
So, it IS okay to use a battery other than a AW IMR, like the site states?

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
The AW IMR's that are recommended on Robert's site (1600 mAH) are rated at 24 amps. At the time that recommendation was made, few, if any, reliable batteries could boast that high an amp rating. The VTC4/5s and LG HE2's are "relatively" new to the scene, but they do have a pretty good rating as well.

Add to that the fact that the original REO was designed to use a "button top" battery, and some folks have had arc'ing issues with flat tops, particularly if you run atomizers below 1 ohm.

I was a died in the wool AW IMR 1600 user, but I've slowly converted my wife's REO to VTC4's and I use the LG HE2's in mine. I -do- use the magnet trick on mine, just because it "feels" like I'm not bending the contact arm as far. That said though, neither I, or my wife, vape below about 1.4-1.6 ohms. YMMV

Danrogers

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2014
Campbell River, BC, Canada
Thanks y'all, with your guidance, I purchased a used Reo LP from the classies!
It just so happened to be Reo day in the classies. :laugh:

Congrats on your first Reo, remember though nothing backs up a Reo like another. Don't forget a pic is mandatory or it never happened, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread