Expensive mods and cheap tanks, cheap mods and expensive tanks, cheap/cheap or money is no object?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
I try not to knowingly buy clones, partly because I've little experience with them and therefore mistrust their quality and partly because it just dosen't seem right. Of course being gouged by the original dosen't seem right either.

Quality is important but only to a certain price point for me and I personally don't see much difference between one mod to the next. Atty's however can be significantly different from each other but they are almost all about the same price. Go figure.:2cool:

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    How many posts in this thread have given their opinion towards buying cheap stuff instead of more quality stuff? Do I get all offensive and reply to their opinions ? Listen buddy everyone has their opinions and that is beautiful, but don't personally respond to my post and opinions. Do you see anyone personally responding to posts who only buy cheap stuff? You clone guys really have issues

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm only responding because it seems to wind your watch. ;)
    Knock it off guys!

The word clone is not defined by the word quality. There are junk clones just like there are junk OEM products., and there are quality clones if you know what to look for.

I owned an automotive restoration company for many years. So I know first hand what makes a quality tool a quality product. So don't even go there!

Here's an example for you. I consider the Caravela to be one of the best mods ever made. Well, Pedro doesn't make them anymore!! This makes a clone your only option if you want a Caravela.
    However, there are quality Caravela clones, and there are junk Caravela clones on the market. The word "clone" is not what defines the difference.

Last edited:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country
    How many posts in this thread have given their opinion towards buying cheap stuff instead of more quality stuff? Do I get all offensive and reply to their opinions ? Listen buddy everyone has their opinions and that is beautiful, but don't personally respond to my post and opinions. Do you see anyone personally responding to posts who only buy cheap stuff? You clone guys really have issues

I speak from experience.
    I repaired mods for 3 local shops.
    I have over 130 mods both clone and authentic.
    Believe what you want. I speak facts.

Cheap= low priced, not low quality.
    Cost doesn't equal quality in any way, shape or form in the vape scene.

Threading soft metal like brass, copper or stainless steel with coarse threads isnt artesian skill.
    Its plumbing.
    Backyard machining in a small shop rarely affords the same quality as a major production house that uses commercial manufacturing equipment.
    Thats why many clones today are built and perform better than the originals.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 30, 2010
    WNY
    I've owned a few clone mods but mostly authentics. Prices paid for all have varied greatly. I've lost a few along the way, both authentic and clone that no longer work. Don't regret any of the purchases. My most expensive mods that I've bought, all of which I've had for a while are my Zenesis Mini, ELA, and Reo's all still work the same as they did the day I bought them and expect they will continue to for a long time. :)

I also own both clones and authentics in both RDA's and Tanks. So far, they all still work the same as the day I bought them. None of them have stopped working so far. ;)

I do prefer authentics in mods but really have no peference when it comes to RDA's and tanks.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 3, 2014
    United States
    People need to realise that just because something is a clone, that doesn't necessarily mean it is of lower quality. It doesn't work like that in the vaping world.

Vaping taught me a thing or two about clones. So, one year ago, when we needed to buy a meat grinder, I found one to my (my wife's?) taste for $170 on Amazon from well known company. Looked a bit more and found clone of this thing for just $90 from much lesser known company. Sure, I bought a clone. Works perfectly. Vaping saves money not only on cigarettes.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 21, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    Well, I dont have a cat to post pics of...
    If everyone's life on Facebook was indeed reality, the world would be one hell of a happy place.;)

No fighting, no kids in trouble with the law, no cheating spouses, no money problems, no sickness, etc. Happy friggin' happy all day, every day.:D

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    I speak from experience.
    I repaired mods for 3 local shops.
    I have over 130 mods both clone and authentic.
    Believe what you want. I speak facts.

Cheap= low priced, not low quality.
    Cost doesn't equal quality in any way, shape or form in the vape scene.

Threading soft metal like brass, copper or stainless steel with coarse threads isnt artesian skill.
    Its plumbing.
    Backyard machining in a small shop rarely affords the same quality as a major production house that uses commercial manufacturing equipment.
    Thats why many clones today are built and perform better than the originals.
    I didn't say one thing about quality of clones, it's you guys that seek out people that buy authentics and bash them, I just don't get it. All I said was that I personally try to buy authentic and quality stuff, like like others here had posted that their preference is to buy less expensive gear. Why do you have to come back and dog my personal way of doing things? This is not a thread on clones, it's just how you choose to buy your gear.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    I'm only responding because it seems to wind your watch. ;)
    Knock it off guys!

The word clone is not defined by the word quality. There are junk clones just like there are junk OEM products., and there are quality clones if you know what to look for.

I owned an automotive restoration company for many years. So I know first hand what makes a quality tool a quality product. So don't even go there!

Here's an example for you. I consider the Caravela to be one of the best mods ever made. Well, Pedro doesn't make them anymore!! This makes a clone your only option if you want a Caravela.
    However, there are quality Caravela clones, and there are junk Caravela clones on the market. The word "clone" is not what defines the difference.
    If it wound my watch on what people buy, I would of responded to all the posts that said " I'm one to buy cheaper gear" but I didn't and never would. My post said that I prefer to buy quality gear and I have had good luck in doing so through the years. No its you guys that seek me out and personally bash my habits by responding to my post. Go back and see who's watch was wound here and by reading who came at who. It's like all you guys that buy inexpensive stuff, meet once a week to tell everyone to seek out posts of people that buy higher end stuff and get on them. Not everyone has the same spending habits, so deal with it.

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 15, 2016
    Ωhmsville
    I put a $35 clone on a $350 mod, and a $80 authentic on a $60 mod. I like matchy matchy, and can't always matchy matchy with authentics. It boils down to personal preference, and who's who to knock anyone for their choices/decisions? Opinions are like....well, everyone's got one....

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    I have a decent job and low expenses so I can afford whatever vape stuff I want. My favorite mod is the Pico. The only atomizer I use is an SV rda clone. Both come from Fasttech. The Pico is $25, the SV rda clone is $7. Those are my favorites regardless of price. I'm stockpiling a few Picos and SV's and also a few vtwo minis in case of unexpected problems with the Picos. I'm not a customer for luxury vape stuff. I try to be discrete all the time. I would get a DNA75 if it was in a Pico form factor because the data gathering interests me. I have a Pico Mega for special situations and an Evic Basic for other special situations.

There are people who like bling in their vape. Go for it. I will look at your pictures instead of buying the stuff.

celticluvr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    I'm on a low income, So I have to make damn sure what I buy is going to last and is cost effective. Hence why in my four years of vaping I've only had 4 mods and a couple cig a likes... MVP 2, MVP 20 watt, CoolFire 4 plus and my new Smok Alien. I've always bought the kit which included the tank so I wouldn't have to buy on separately for more money. Good strategy, huh? :thumb:

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 15, 2016
    Ωhmsville
    Vapers are supposed to be like a little, slightly off kilter yet close knit family. Judgement is an ugly word, and let's face the music here, many of us have been scorned for our lifestyle by onlookers. The last place/time to be judged for our decisions is by our own "kind" :)

My point: live and let live.

Ben85

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 16, 2014
    Kent, UK
    I didn't say one thing about quality of clones, it's you guys that seek out people that buy authentics and bash them, I just don't get it. All I said was that I personally try to buy authentic and quality stuff, like like others here had posted that their preference is to buy less expensive gear. Why do you have to come back and dog my personal way of doing things? This is not a thread on clones, it's just how you choose to buy your gear.

The ironic thing is that you started this line of thinking.

Stop being so sensitive. All we are saying is clones doesn't necessarily mean poor quality. You are the one feeling seeked out. Everyone else is just posting on a discussion forum. No one is saying you are wrong and even if they were - who cares!

Reactions: Bad Ninja

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    The ironic thing is that you started this line of thinking.

Stop being so sensitive. All we are saying is clones doesn't necessarily mean poor quality. You are the one feeling seeked out. Everyone else is just posting on a discussion forum. No one is saying you are wrong and even if they were - who cares!
    Did you even read my post? I made a simple post that had nothing to do with any of this. Go back and read it my friend , then follow the thread and you will see who is the sensitive ones. When someone feels the need to personally reply to my posts, that's the ones who have a problem with this whole train of thoughts and are the sensitive ones. All you need to know is one thing, how many posts here are saying they rather buy cheaper products and say it's a waste to buy more expensive stuff? Count how many posts and you will see a bunch, now count how many have replied to those posts personally , disagreeing. Zero is the answer........ now why do a few of you feel it necessary to disagree the other way? I will tell you why, because you dont respect others opinions and feel yours is the way it should be and have issues with those that dont share your opinions. If you have anything to add to the thread, then do so by your own post and stop continously starting issues by commenting on my post. I have read posts here dogging expensive gear and that's perfectly fine and that's their way, their opinions and should be respected, do you think I, for one second would reply personally, after reading said post, and disagree with that ? No I wouldn't. ... and don't understand why a couple of you guys feels the need to do this to my post. So please, I know you hate to admit that it gets you worked up when someone don't like the cheaper stuff, but that's life and we are all different.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country

1. I didnt bash anyone.
    2. This is a discussion forum.
    27dd39065116dd636291836c3b557377bd42c8e34d83bce986e9ff4fe0e604f0.jpg

3. I have lots of authentic mods and attys. Clones too.
    We all want quality.

Most of us dont buy authentics expecting higher quality. Its about owning an authentic piece from the original modder.

r055co

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    I agree 100%.

I refuse to buy from facebook only sellers.
    Unprofessional.
    If you dont have enough faith in your business to get a proper biz lisc, address and phone number for your customers, then neither do I.
    Buncha amateurs.

Not always, FB is a good place to start for someone starting a business that doesn't have pile of capital. Granted there is a lot of junk but there are a few gems.

Tip number 2.
    If China can clone your $200 atty and sell it for $12 RETAIL, you have made some serious mistakes.
    No it comes down to costs, in the US we have things like environmental regulations, labor laws, minimum wage, etc. China, almost none plus they have the Lao Gai where they put anyone they don't like and it's called Slave Labor.

Ill pay a little more for quality, but Im no fool, I have a manufacturing background and experience with machining parts. I wont over pay for backyard machining on soft metals.
    Neither will I but I also know the the costs here in the US are significantly higher due to laws, regulations, taxes, etc. China also has significant QA issues and it's very hit and miss the quality that comes out of there.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread