Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
In 2009, President Barak Obama nominated Dr. Margaret Hamburg for Commissioner of the FDA as a political appointee. The suit alleges that Dr. Hamburg and her husband had made large donations to Hillary Clinton’s campaigns, and to the Clinton Foundation. And that they “gave political contributions and gratuities to President Obama to induce him to nominate her to be appointed as FDA Commissioner.

“Dr. Margaret A. Hamburg was nominated as a result of huge political and other gratuities to Hillary Clinton and The Clinton Foundation, and at Mrs. Clinton’s recommendation.”

The suit further charges that “During the confirmation process before Congress, Dr. Margaret A. Hamburg, acting in concert with her husband, Peter F. Brown, at all material times the Co-CEO of a hedge fund named Renaissance Technologies, L.L.C., failed to disclose to Congress and other relevant authorities, her and her husband’s clear-cut conflict of interest –specifically, that Renaissance Technologies, L.L.C. held hundreds of millions of dollars of Johnson & Johnson stock, the manufacturer of the deadly drug, Levaquin.”

---
Could be some election fodder for Bernie or Trump....

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
Bookem-300x197.jpg

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The lawsuit at

also states that Renaissance Technologies (Hamburg's husband's company) held $360 million in Lorillard stock in 2011, more than the value of its J&J stock.

In 2011, Lorillard was facing FDA regulatory threats on its menthol cigarette Newport. Although the FDA TPSAC urged a ban on menthol cigarettes (which was struck down in federal court due to conflict of interest by 3 TPSAC members), the FDA never proposed a menthol cigarette ban (er regulation).

Wonder how much Hamburg's husband's stock investments had to do with her decision to not propose a menthol cigarette ban.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Correction on title of this thread.

Hamburg unlawfully banned e-cigarettes in 2009, and then Hamburg (and others at FDA and DHHS) made false fear mongering claims about vaping to scare the public (including federal judges who were adjudicating the lawsuit filed by SE and NJOY) to defend her unlawful e-cig ban (which she never apologized for, nor provided and corrections or clarifications for after losing in court).

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
After leaving the FDA, but before the RICO lawsuit:

Former FDA chief Margaret Hamburg speaks out

Does it hurt the FDA when top people like your general counsels leave and then become lobbyists or lawyers for industry?
This perception of the revolving door is damaging to everyone, and as a principle I am not considering doing any boards of any company big or small that was regulated by the FDA for a couple of years — a cooling-off period — even though some of the smaller biotech companies are technically really interesting and it would be fascinating to see from the other side. It’s unfortunate that people really think there has to be a complete division between the work of FDA and the industry.

Isn’t it tempting to leave government and make money?
People are being asked to come for salaries that are much lower than in the private sector or academia. Increasingly, we’re asking highly trained professionals to share offices, to not even have their own desks.
I want to underscore the importance of protecting the FDA from politicization. FDA frequently finds itself working at the interface of science, health care, public health, and politics. This can be precarious terrain, and I was determined to make sure that science and evidence were always our compass and our guide.

nomore stinkies

Gee, Who did that?
ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
IL
I knew when I read the article there was a tobacco link. I was going to google that company. Chilling.....absolutely chilling. Another example of our government at it's finest. Now I know why Obama was against e-cigarettes (the little companies unable to pay the FDA fees). Which I thought was odd because he was (is) a smoker. I'd like to see his stock portfolio. Big tobacco wants the whole pie and he and Hillary are trying to give it to them. You are right Kent, good fodder for the candidates.

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
This quote from Margaret Hamburg struck a chord with me ...

"Increasingly, we’re asking highly trained professionals to share offices, to not even have their own desks."

Most people will read this, and understandably think "How unfair" ...

Which makes sense, if you assume that a person works a typical 40 hour plus workweek at a specific location. Sharing an office sucks, hot-bunking with a desk is even more inconvenient ...

But I can tell you after 40 plus years with defense contractors, that senior consultants are often assigned shared office space if they are only on site for a few hours per month, or less ...

Many of them are "prima donnas", and still demand an exclusive private office, even in overcrowded facilities where full-time staff members are already doubling up, or working in telemarketer boiler room conditions ...

Its very demoralizing to see a prime office sitting locked and vacant 90 percent of the time while the occupant is Skyping from home in their bathrobe, and you're sitting so close to you're cube neighbor that you can smell his corn chips ...

If the FDA is requiring absentee employees to use shared work areas when on site, at least they're doing something right ...

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
If the FDA is requiring absentee employees to use shared work areas when on site, at least they're doing something right ...

Typical gov't poor mouthing. A claim for bigger budgets. It goes with every level of gov't down to teachers. They have better benefits than most private workers. Some salaries are quite lucrative - for producing nothing but regulations on the real working people and businesses that employ them.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
This quote from Margaret Hamburg struck a chord with me ...

Most people will read this, and understandably think "How unfair" ...

Which makes sense, if you assume that a person works a typical 40 hour plus workweek at a specific location. Sharing an office sucks, hot-bunking with a desk is even more inconvenient ...

But I can tell you after 40 plus years with defense contractors, that senior consultants are often assigned shared office space if they are only on site for a few hours per month, or less ...

Many of them are "prima donnas", and still demand an exclusive private office, even in overcrowded facilities where full-time staff members are already doubling up, or working in telemarketer boiler room conditions ...

Its very demoralizing to see a prime office sitting locked and vacant 90 percent of the time while the occupant is Skyping from home in their bathrobe, and you're sitting so close to you're cube neighbor that you can smell his corn chips ...

Interesting. Made me want to read a bit about it.

Apparently, there was an executive order "Freeze the Footprint" in 2013, and then a "Reduce the Footprint" last year, mandating consolidation via shared office space, working from home, etc. It's all part of budget cutting, and everyone knows those kinds of changes are happening in the private sector, too.

I saw that the FDA put a rosy spin on their compliance report for that first step. I've never had any work situation even remotely like cubicles, shared office space, or any office at all. Working in a cubicle would likely drive me insane.

Reactions: Kenna

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
When low-level managers score prime office real estate, they often acquire an inflated perception of their relative importance ...

And when hard-working associates with heavy workloads and long workdays are confined to constricted or exposed areas with no privacy, they become understandably disgruntled and unmotivated ...

One defense contractor (you would recognize the name) had a division where for years, new hires were placed at a lone desk in a shabby open area adjacent to a noisy machine shop and a busy corridor, under constant scrutiny from passers-by. Many of the best and brightest left with the next job offer. It was fraternity hazing at its worst, and it took a lawsuit to put a stop to it ...

Its often not about cost savings or efficiency, just spiteful office politics and dominance games ... :(

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Status