lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
all,
up until now i've been using kanthal exclusively. now i've managed to get some (5m) of stainless steel wire (316L). this is my first, lowly, attempt at using it. 3mm inner diameter. was aiming for 0.4ohms and it's not far off according to my meter. think i'll save it for my incoming OBS engine nano.
it's a start at least.

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
Bravo!
Ever since I started building coils, I only use SS316L or 317L wire. The SS317L have bit more resistance and this can be useful in building double wind and dual coils.
that's good to know, thanks. haven't tried anything as adventurous but plan to.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Well done! Will perform well in Nano. Try a spaced coil next, some call spaced coils flavor chasers.

Agreed, I run mostly 24ga 316 spaced, 4 wraps on a 2.5mm brings me in at about .38Ω. Letitia nailed it, in the Nano the flavor rocks!

And nice twist, it will vape well.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Have fun LupineHorror. I found SS slightly more difficult to work with than kanthal, it seems a bit more springy. I find it easier to wrap a spaced coil than a contact coil for some reason, but I'm not a big fan of my coil jig, even going for contact, I seem to do better when I can see what I'm doing, I tend to overlap coils on the coil jig, even when I'm trying hard to Not Push. So, I tend to just use the jig holder and wrap them while I can see them. It's easy to make a spaced coil into a contact coil and vice versa, but you may sacrifice a bit on coil diameter, I'd think (a tiny, infinitesimal amount?) but the main thing is you are having fun and achieving results, congrats!

Anna

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
I love my Nanos, wishing you the same enjoyment. :)
it's a great tank. wish more RTAs were like it...i.e they didn't leak!
Have fun LupineHorror. I found SS slightly more difficult to work with than kanthal, it seems a bit more springy. I find it easier to wrap a spaced coil than a contact coil for some reason, but I'm not a big fan of my coil jig, even going for contact, I seem to do better when I can see what I'm doing, I tend to overlap coils on the coil jig, even when I'm trying hard to Not Push. So, I tend to just use the jig holder and wrap them while I can see them. It's easy to make a spaced coil into a contact coil and vice versa, but you may sacrifice a bit on coil diameter, I'd think (a tiny, infinitesimal amount?) but the main thing is you are having fun and achieving results, congrats!
Anna
fun is certainly being had!
i've had the overlapping problem with thicker wire. next time i wick the nano i'll give it a spaced coil.
got a mech mod arriving this week and another in a few weeks. planning which coils/material will be used for them.

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
Perfectly fine spaced coil. Enjoy the fruits of your labor. Most of my spaced coils vape better than they look. :D
another spaced clapton done this morning...technique is improving (though huge hands and fingers aren't terribly agile or gentle :blink:)
Nice first attempt and very uniform! Once I started using SS316L the Kanthal might only be used for picture hanging.
am planning on trying TC so more SS will feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread