The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Main Train Mainframe

Main Train Mainframe Full Member

May 27, 2020
    Hi there!

As the title suggests, I want to get into RDA's. I'm looking at getting a dead rabbit v2 for my first rebuildable. I just have a few questions to make sure that I have everything right.

I'll be using a Vaporesso Gen, with Samsung 30Q batteries. I intend to vape around 50w

I am looking into either using dual coil SS 316L, 26awg, and 0.2ohms with 5 wraps, or Kanthal A1 26awg at 0.4ohms with 5 wraps. Both with a diameter of 3mm

I just wanted to check, do all these numbers sound about right? I used an app called Vape tool for the calculation of the coils. I just want to make sure my batteries wouldn't overheat or worse.

Also, what's a good coil to use for wattage for best flavour? I heard SS is great for beginners.

Is there any advice you can offer me as a newbie?

Thank you!

2. Shawn Hoefer

Shawn Hoefer ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    Arkansas Ozarks
    Vape Tool is the best app I have found and I use it - the pro version - regularly. Steam-engine.org is also quite good, but not as easy.

Your measurements are good. Your choice of RDA is also good.

You can use NiChrome 80, SS316L, and Kanthal A1 in wattage mode, but I'd stick to Kanthal or Ni80... SS316L's resistance will change as you use it... makes it ideal for TC vaping, but can yield a less than consistent vape in power mode.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  3. Mordacai

Mordacai Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    Hello @Main Train Mainframe, if this is your first foray into RBA's it may well be worth considering starting with a single coil one.

As 2 coils and 2 lots of wicking can make things more interesting and not in a fun way to work with.

Entheon RDA clones are a decent single coil RDA and can be picked up cheaply, there's plenty of others as well on the market to choose from as well. Personally I would love to try a Atmizoo Creek RDA, but they're not cheap at all but the reviews are very positive. So I'm hoping that someone makes a clone at the prices I can justify.

But these are just ideas though.

• Like Like x 2
  4. dripster

dripster Moved On ECF Veteran

Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    The resistance of the coil build is irrelevant as for calculating the battery safety for a regulated mod. The Continuous Discharge Rating (CDR) of the Samsung 30Q is 15A, as reported by Mooch in his battery test results and his continually updated battery ratings and performance tables. A quick rule of thumb to be able to answer to those who ask "How much is safe?" for a regulated mod is to take this CDR number of the battery as reported by Mooch, and multiply it by three to determine the maximum wattage that's recommended to stay at or below, per battery. So, for a pair of Samsung 30Qs in a dual 18650 regulated mod such as the GEN, that would be recommending to stay at or below 90 watts.

The resistance does matter for regulated mods in the particular sense that it needs to be within the range that matches the mod's internal hardware capabilities outlined in the user manual of the mod in question, or else it will refuse to fire the coil build, or maybe you won't be able to get the desired wattage. (Some regulated mods start to throttle the wattage down after the battery gets discharged below a certain level, at some point before the battery runs too low to still be able to vape on the battery, and, how early these mods start to do this is dependent of both the internal hardware's own unique set of hardware limitations and the resistance of the coil build.)

Visit Mooch's blog for useful info about batteries, battery performance, and important topics related to battery safety, and also check out his personal YouTube channel. Many of his Minding Your mAhs videos cover a lot of useful topics for beginners, as do all of his Battery Basics for Vapers videos.

As for the vape performance that can be had from various wire types, 26g Kanthal A1 heats up (and cools down) fairly slow. I much prefer complex coil types that are handbuilt from multiple strands of (usually two or three different sizes of) Nichrome 80 wire─specifically, the type of Nichrome 80 wire that is smelted by Sandvik in Sweden, and that you can get on easy-to-handle plastic round spools from a wide variety of decent quality brands that use excellent spooling techniques thus preventing the wire from wanting to tangle itself up constantly and whatnot. Further, 26g is the very thickest wire size I'll ever use, and, for building complex coils intended to be used on a regulated mod, I recommend the combination of both 28g and 36g as a starting point. Getting into complex coil building is a whole lot easier than many think, so don't let the word 'complex' be the word that puts you off. See:

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.