For when flavor is priority - What combo of hardware, do you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
I know there are many hard-core drippers and it still seems dripping is the best way to get the best flavor, but dripping is not for me. So I'm especially interested in opinions from non-drippers.

If you want to read, I've listed where I am in e-cig life. So, today, December 17, 2011, I'm curious about your experience and what you are using to get the best flavor. And what vendor/s do you use? I'd also like to know what is your favorite ohm and voltage combo.

Personally, I seem to get the best flavor with a 1.5 ohm dual coil carto on an eGO. Recently, I began using them with a tank mod with good results. The carto being submerged in e-liquid seems to make it last longer before I notice a drop in flavor.

I just tried a low resistance tank-style carto and it wasn't bad, but the flavor is muted (with eGO and variable volt box mod). In hindsight, I should have gotten a higher resistance one. Also, I finally got a variable volt box mod and am still playing around with it. I think it will be good for the higher ohm cartos I have from BDC (before dual coil) :).

I'm wondering if low resistance + low voltage compared to high resistance + high voltage makes any difference.

I vape on an eGO passthrough when I'm home and have had the same one for about 6 months. The majority of my vape-time is done this way. I got it from Liberty Flights.

The punched/drilled dual coil with tank, I got from MadVapes. I also got my variable-volt box mod from them - just arrived a couple days ago.

Just plain dual coil cartos, I've been getting from Crystal Clear Vapor.

900 mah eGO batts, I get from ECIGEXPRESS (mostly because they have a good selection of FlavourArt at a good price - and so while I'm there, I figure I'll add a battery when needed). The few 900 mah eGO batts I've bought from them have lasted many months.

I like an 80/20 PG/VG mix the best. I do some DIY and most ready-made e-liquid I purchase from KickBassVapor. There are two flavors, Maple Frosted Rolls and Momma's Angel Wings that are my main vapes.

Lately, I've been making a Thin Mints flavor myself. So, at the moment, this is one of my main vapes too. Thanks for reading and for sharing your personal experience!

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
Thanks fray! I do have a couple LR 306 attys. I got them mostly for test-tasting. But man-o-man do they hit hard - way too hard for me. Thanks for reminding me about them though - I will try them on the VV box mod (good way to test for how low I can get it to go). Something else about those - I once tried an LR 306 cartomizer (as opposed to an atomizer) and the hit was just fine. I mean, I could feel it whereas it didn't hurt; it was smooth, and the taste was very good. It's actually a close 2nd to the dual coil carto that rates at a supposedly 1.5 ohms. This is very puzzling to me. IDK, maybe the filler acts kinda like a buffer for "throat kill." :unsure: And yes standard 901 attys were great for flavor. (Note to self, dig for 901 attys for test tasting.) But, alas, I am not a dripper and really don't want to revisit cartridges.

Last edited:

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Sometimes I just get a kick out of seeing how many ways I can make the same juice taste.
    And, my take on it is that one isn't better than another, it's just different.

For me anyway I get the truest flavor from dripping in a 1.5ohm 510-T atty (wick plate removed) @ 3.4-3.5v.
    Fullest flavor from dripping in a 2.5ohm 306 atty @ 4.8-5v
    Strongest flavor is when an atty pops .... so I try not to go there.

Last edited:

six

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2011
    under the blue sky
    I'm with tj99959. The flavor profile of any juice can change depending on a lot of different factors. That said:

Lately, I've been back on my HV stuff a lot. The single coil smoke tech 3.2 ohm cartos on my 5.0v triple-v are producing some really good flavor with a lot of my PG or high PG ratio juices. I've revisited a bunch of my BWB flavors since I bought those cartos and I've been enjoying them a lot - even the ones I wasn't so fond of to begin with.

Devonmoonshire

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 22, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    WOW Great Idea for a thread Janet:

Okay lets start at the bottom and go up:

For my Ego batteries:
    Fruit Flavors in a standard res CE3 Smokeymizer gives me a great flavor, loads of vapor and Decent TH

For my Go Go Batteries:

Bakery Flavors, Sweet and Rich Flavors of any Kind on Go Go Dual Coil Mega Clearomizers

For my SD Keyring Ecig:

My RY4 and RY4 Blends in a standard res 510 Cartomizer

For my SGT VV Army Tank Bottom Feeder Box Mod:

Anything except bakery flavors, using a 3.0 Ohm 306 with an xl delrin drip tip and MAP Drip Shield at around 5.6 volts

For my Provari:

2.0 or 2.5 Dual Coil Cartomizer Stainless Steel MAP Tank: Anything and everything tastes great in these within a range of 4.6 Volts all the way up to 6 Volts on the 2.5 ohm DCC's depending on the flavor.

My Favorite Juice vendors are E-Liquid Emporium because I can totally customize everything and Pink Spot Vapors because I have never tasted anything from them I did not Love :D

Hope this helps;
    Nate aka Darth Vapor

Janet

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 14, 2008
    Akron OH USA
    Great info here. Thanks a lot fellow vapors! I'd like to see this thread continue. So, keep your responses coming! I am especially interested in anything that does not involve dripping, but the dripping info is still good to know. I'd also like to know your favorite passthroughs. Including vendor sites is also very helpful and appreciated.

erich

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 31, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    If you find that dripping is, in fact, preferable in flavor, consider a bottom feeder. I honestly don't prefer an atty to a cartomizer though. Punched 3Ω carto @ 6v with a tank is still my preference. I change my cartos out a lot more frequently than most I've read, though... every 2-3 fills of a 5.5ml tank I drop a new carto in, which works out to about twice a week. I use darker juices, and when the polyfill darkens, I toss it.

mlinky

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 22, 2010
    Kentucky
    If you want dripping flavor without the hassle of dripping, then a bottom feeder is what you need. You have the juice on board, and when you squeeze the bottle, you are adding juice directly to the atomizer (dripping from the bottom).

Personally, I am a fan of the leak-free, mess-free, REO. :)

Last edited:

Janet

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 14, 2008
    Akron OH USA
    I have been so tempted to get a bottom feeder many times, but stop myself because I just know that somehow I will manage to make a mess with it. I can imagine loose juice on the inside of the contraption and on the outside too. However, the craftsmanship on some of the wooden ones are awesome and I would like one just for its sheer beauty. Not that they aren't worth it, I just can't justify the price for something I would most likely not end up using that much. I'll try to keep myself contented by looking at some of the great pics that are posted.

I just love and really appreciate all the information from this thread so far. I need to go back through it so I can look up some of the things mentioned, i.e., I don't know what a 5.0 volt vvv or an i06 even is! :confused: Goes to show we have sooooo many more choices that we did 3 years ago. It's been kinda fun seeing how much the e-cig world has advanced, but at the same time, its so easy to over-spend the e-cig budget, 'cause new stuff is coming out faster and faster. It's hard to restrain from "clicking" on stuff and filling up a shopping cart way too much. (I tell myself, "It's all in the name of research." whenever my fingers do too much clicking.) :blush::unsure::rolleyes:

sumoman25

ECF Veteran
    Oct 27, 2011
    South Dakota
    When I order from bluemistvaping they send out a 3ml sample of juice. They sent out some bearclaw, and I had no idea what it was. It smelled very nice, but I didn't want to have that flavor contaminating a carto and potentially making it unusable (If it was bad).

So whenever I get flavors that I don't know about, and want to taste the pure flavor, I FREEBASE.

Freebasing makes you look like you're smoking ...... or ...., but it really works. Not the best vapor production, vapor feels really warm, but it works great.

Here's how I freebase.

Items needed:
    Tin foil (Cheapest stuff, without a layer (not matte looking)
    lighter
    pen tube or rolled up tube of paper
    Juice to test

1. Make a square of tinfoil about 6 inches sq. Drop a few drops of juice in the middle, make a hand hold area on one side if you need to (Tinfoil gets a little hot)
    2. Pen tube held in mouth, lighter underneath tinfoil (Adjust if possible to smallest flame size) move the lighter around the bottom, so as to not burn your liquid too quickly.
    3. Draw in very slowly, kinda close to the liquid. Hold the lighter underneath it until you're about to stop dragging. Stop the lighter before you stop dragging.
    4. Exhale, you have now freebased. Congrats, if anyone finds what you've done they'll question if you've been smoking black tar .......

There you go, freebasing e-liquid works great for testing new flavors. Lightbulbs also work, but then you look like even more of a drug addict so I don't recommend it.

mlinky

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 22, 2010
    Kentucky
    I have been so tempted to get a bottom feeder many times, but stop myself because I just know that somehow I will manage to make a mess with it. I can imagine loose juice on the inside of the contraption and on the outside too. However, the craftsmanship on some of the wooden ones are awesome and I would like one just for its sheer beauty. Not that they aren't worth it, I just can't justify the price for something I would most likely not end up using that much. I'll try to keep myself contented by looking at some of the great pics that are posted.

I just love and really appreciate all the information from this thread so far. I need to go back through it so I can look up some of the things mentioned, i.e., I don't know what a 5.0 volt vvv or an i06 even is! :confused: Goes to show we have sooooo many more choices that we did 3 years ago. It's been kinda fun seeing how much the e-cig world has advanced, but at the same time, its so easy to over-spend the e-cig budget, 'cause new stuff is coming out faster and faster. It's hard to restrain from "clicking" on stuff and filling up a shopping cart way too much. (I tell myself, "It's all in the name of research." whenever my fingers do too much clicking.) :blush::unsure::rolleyes:

Get one of these: http://www.reosmods.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=24&Itemid=3

I guarantee that it will not leak. :)

Janet

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 14, 2008
    Akron OH USA

Oh, Mlinky, those are gorgeous! (I am chanting to myself: "Do not click, do not click, do not click") Actually, since I'm pretty happy with 3.7 volts and even a little lower, I might be able to justify one of the small ones, especially since it will be in the name of research and I'll get a work of art as a bonus! What's your favorite atty + ohms that you use with your favorite Reo, and which one is your favorite? Is it hard to learn just how to squeeze that little bottle through the hole in the wood? (Also, that hole in that beautiful wood somehow bothers me.) I think I need to do some more research on them. Thanks for posting!

I got a Volt from Smokeless Image a while back. This thread made me remember I had that and I got out a Volt carto. Currently I'm using one of their cartos with an adapter on an Ego Vari-Volt passthrough. This passthrough works well as a passthrough, but so far I'm not too impressed with how it charges so you can use it when it's off passthrough. Mine won't charge on the regular Ego charger, but it will charge from the USB cable while I'm using it on passthrough. However, the charge seems to only last about an hour when I take it off passthrough. Anyway, the Smokeless Image Volt's cartos are rather impressive. Flavor is good; I can refill it many more times than a 1.5 ohm dual coil before the flavor starts getting muted; I think it even produces flavor just as well as the dual coils. So, I may just need to order some more blanks. I think they may even work on one of those beautiful wooden Reos. People use cartos on bottom feeders, don't they?

Janet

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 14, 2008
    Akron OH USA
    When I order from bluemistvaping they send out a 3ml sample of juice. They sent out some bearclaw, and I had no idea what it was. It smelled very nice, but I didn't want to have that flavor contaminating a carto and potentially making it unusable (If it was bad).

So whenever I get flavors that I don't know about, and want to taste the pure flavor, I FREEBASE.

Freebasing makes you look like you're smoking ...... or ...., but it really works. Not the best vapor production, vapor feels really warm, but it works great.

Here's how I freebase.

Items needed:
    Tin foil (Cheapest stuff, without a layer (not matte looking)
    lighter
    pen tube or rolled up tube of paper
    Juice to test

1. Make a square of tinfoil about 6 inches sq. Drop a few drops of juice in the middle, make a hand hold area on one side if you need to (Tinfoil gets a little hot)
    2. Pen tube held in mouth, lighter underneath tinfoil (Adjust if possible to smallest flame size) move the lighter around the bottom, so as to not burn your liquid too quickly.
    3. Draw in very slowly, kinda close to the liquid. Hold the lighter underneath it until you're about to stop dragging. Stop the lighter before you stop dragging.
    4. Exhale, you have now freebased. Congrats, if anyone finds what you've done they'll question if you've been smoking black tar .......

There you go, freebasing e-liquid works great for testing new flavors. Lightbulbs also work, but then you look like even more of a drug addict so I don't recommend it.

Wow Sumoman! Thanks for educating me. I've never freebased anything, so now I know how! :ohmy: Actually, this may come in very handy. No worries about cleaning attys to try a new flavor. Not sure if I'm coordinated enough though. You think I can use a regular spoon (or a tinfoil "spoon" like you described) over a low flame on one of the burners on my gas stove or over a candle flame? Then that would give me an extra hand to hold the straw, so I don't have to use my lips to control where the end of the straw lands. I know I must sound like a real klutz, but I can just picture myself catching something on fire or spilling the juice. It's a great idea really - 'cause the only time I use attys anymore is for taste testing and if I can make a tinfoil "spoon" I can just toss it in the trash after testing!

Janet

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 14, 2008
    Akron OH USA
    If you find that dripping is, in fact, preferable in flavor, consider a bottom feeder. I honestly don't prefer an atty to a cartomizer though. Punched 3Ω carto @ 6v with a tank is still my preference. I change my cartos out a lot more frequently than most I've read, though... every 2-3 fills of a 5.5ml tank I drop a new carto in, which works out to about twice a week. I use darker juices, and when the polyfill darkens, I toss it.

Hey Erich! It sounds like you and I are on about the same page, except I use lower ohm cartos with lower voltage. When the taste starts getting muted, it's time for a new carto for me. Also, the tanks seem to make a carto last longer.

I'm gonna have to dig up one of my higher ohm V4L CoolCarts to see what happens at 6 volts with my new vari-volt box mod.

I've been wondering: As long as you get the same end result in the current/amps (referring to ohm's law), does it even matter what hardware combo you use? One thing that occurs to me is you may get more mileage fromhigh voltage battery + high resistance carto, compared to low voltage + low resistance. IDK, I get a brain block when I try to understand electricity, so this may be a stupid question.:confused::unsure:

CCC

ECF Veteran
    Nov 28, 2011
    Australia
    I am just so easily pleased and satisfied with my vv ego battery and echo-e cartomizers, luckily it was only my 3rd PV, and i can't see myself trying any other model. I get all my hardware from HealthCabin, my Nic liquid from RTS vapes, and my juice from local Australian vendors, and mix my own. I tried dripping once and decided it's not for me, the way i test flavours it to cut a cartomizer in half, take out the filler, insert a tiny peice of blue foam, drip in 5 drops of juice, wack on a drip tip then test. After that i take out the blue foam throw it away and do the whole thing again with plain pg until i tase nothing, then repeat again with my next flavour.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread