The ULTIMATE VOLT....... from Smokeless Image review LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

vert1276

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2011
seattle
Well like Grimmgreen said in his Volt review. “Review #8,432,762 of the Volt“. Yes, I too received The Volt PV from Smokeless Image and am now doing my review as promised :). I received these products free of charge but that will have no bearing on my review. If you have read my posts and RANTS you know I don’t pull any punches!

I received a 78mm automatic black battery with blue LED and a 5 pack of cartomizers that was a sampler of 12mg 555,RY4 Desert Joe, Cowboy and Cappuccino. According to the smokeless Image web site the 78mm battery is rated at 320mAh.

Lets start with the pluses…….. It performs great! Just what I would expect out of a KR808d-1. The Kr808 has always, in my opinion been the best performing mini. Good vapor from the cartomizers. The battery has the nice rubberized coating like the Bloog KR808. Under normal to heavy vaping the battery lasted about 3 hours before needing a recharge. The cartomizer lasted about what I normally get out of a cartomizer. Maybe just a little more vapor production than normally out of a PG juice. I’m assuming it is a PG juice in their pre filled carto’s. I will not comment on the flavor LOL, as I am not a fan of pre filled Chinese juices. But the 555 and the RY4 kinda bring me back to the good old days when I first started vaping on a M402 LOL. Although unlike the M402 no primer puff was needed on the Volt! After surfing their web site their pricing seemed fair and about middle of the road. $8.95 for a 5 pack of carto’s and $12.95 or $13.95 for a 65mm or 78mm battery. All in all, a great product!!!!! I cant speak to shipping costs but from what I have heard they are cheaper than Bloog. And the customer service was great for me, as I emailed them a list of questions for this review and the sent me back an email with answers the next day. Anyone looking for a analog look alike (aka mini) The Volt would be a GREAT choice and for a newbie getting into the world of vaping I don’t think you would be disappointed. As for other products from Smokeless image. They said they will be getting juices soon and also manual batteries. They said they currently(although I cant find it on their web site) have a pass-through but it runs at 5 volts and they feel it doesn’t match well with there cartomizers and are discounting it a bringing in a 3.6volt regulated passthrough<shaking head> :facepalm:WHAT!!! Be proud that you have a 5 volt passthrough, 5 volts a 2.5ohm carto’s is 10 watts. A lot of people like vaping at 10 watts! Hell the people out there using an Ego with a 1.5 ohm atty or carto are vaping over 9 watts. And don’t even get me started on the people vaping on 5 volt Mod’s with LR attys or carto’s. They area vaping WAY higher watts than that and are LOVIN it!

Ok….Remember in the beginning of this post I said I wasn’t going to pull any punches? Well…I wasn’t just blowing vapor when I said this LOL. Here is my problem with The Volt from Smokeless Image, Bloog and Nhaler. Assuming they are all selling the same KR808 as they claim to be.

First the cartomizers. They claim to be these “new technology” carto’s. If you use a lot of KR808 carto’s you know there are 2 different kinds. The VERTICAL coil carto’s and the HORIZONAL coil carto’s. There is nothing “new” about the horizontal carto’s many venders sell them other than SI, Bloog and Nhaler. Now the ones from Smokeless Image tested on my ohm meter at a range of 2.3 ohms to 2.5 ohms. In the email from Smokeless Image they said the factory rating was 2.5 ohm. But any of us who have been around carto’s for a while know that this factory ohm rating is just an average of these mass produced Chinese parts. I have 5 carto’s currently sitting I front of me. They are from MVS(myvaporstore) Smokeless Image, Nhaler, Bloog and V4L(vapor4life) The MVS, Smokeless Image and Bloog and Nhaler carto’s are all horizontal coil carto’s and the V4L carto is a vertical coil. If you don’t know how to tell the difference here is a youtube video to help. This is a video of a mod people are doing to their carto’s so they can drip. In the video the first carto is the older vertical coil carto(these are the ones were you can see the wire coming out the top). And the second carto he mod’s is a horizontal coil(these are the carto’s that have no wire coming out the top and just looks like a hollow plastic tube is running down the center ).
YouTube - ‪Cheap atomizers for dripping (Cartomizer Mod)‬‏

Testing the Ohms I got 2.4 ohms on the Bloog, 2.5 on the Smokeless Image, 2.7 on the MVS, 2.5 on the Nhaler, and 2.9 on the V4L premium carto’s which they list as “cooler” I can‘t speak to the V4L WOW carts because I have never used or seen one up close and don’t know if they are vertical or horizontal coil, But from what I have seen and heard about them they create a lot of vapor(see grimmgreen‘s youtube video) and people are saying the spec out at 2.2 ohms.. SO the people who have been getting better vapor out of the Bloog and Smokeless Image carto’s….This has NOTHING to do with some “new design” and EVERYTHING to do with a lower ohm rating. The lower the ohm’s, the higher the watts will be, and the hotter the coil will get and the more vapor you will get. This is vaping 101. The down side to this is the more watts you vape at the more amp’s you are pulling, and the battery will need to be recharged more often. But this is a small price to pay for better vapor. Like I said it has NOTHING to do with the design of the carto(vertical vs. horizontal), I can put a 510 adapter on the KR808 and put on a LR 1.7 ohm 510 carto and get even more vapor, and ALL the 510 carto’s are vertical coil. Which brings me to all the “burny taste” comments on carto’s LOL. Yes the horizontal coils are harder to burn but they will burn if you run them dry. The polly fill is not in contact with the coil like on the vertical coil carto, but the WICK is(and really the polly fill in not in contact with the coil on a vertical coil either as the coil is wrapped in some weird wicking material). And anyone who has run and atty dry (think Ego -T lol) knows that you can burn a wick too. Truly I think it is just a newbie thing with people burning up vertical coil cartos. If you think about it…… how many experienced vapors out there are using 510 vertical coil carto’s on Ego’s and high voltage mod’s and NEVER burn a carto up? And they are vaping at higher watts so the coil is getting even hotter! We just don’t let them run dry, it not hard really. To tell you the truth I kinda like vertical coil carto’s. All of us out there who are running dual coil carto’s are using vertical coils. I think the newbie’s just don’t know how to tell when a carto is running dry and keep vaping and burn them. Or they think one carto is supposed to be equal to one pack of analogs and vape them forever and burn them up! Although this is MUCH harder to do on a horizontal coil.

Ok Now on to the batteries. And here comes my real RANT LOL. Smokeless Image and Bloog and Nhaler have been running around saying they have this “new battery technology” of course them telling you what this “new battery technology” is on their web site is kinda like pullin teeth from a hen! Then everyone is posting on these forums “they are regulated” or “they stay at 3.6 volts till they die” BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. I am here to call BS. Us hard core moders out there know all about regulating batteries and what that means. And people like myself who build their own mods have put in regulator chips into a mod MANY times. Lets look at steelJan’s review on the Volt on youtube(a VERY well respected and knowledgeable e cig reviewer. If you read the comments on the video you will see how I ended up with product from smokeless image to review LOL)

YouTube - ‪Smokeless Image Volt Review - The Chainsaw Test?‬‏

Go to the 11:05 point of the video to see what she gets for voltage. I can say I got VERY similar results. She gets around 3.8volts on both batteries. Oh and testing a auto batteries is a pain in the you know what LOL. I also tested V4L and MVS batteries(but manual) and got similar results. OK so I almost took out the dermal tool and cut open the battery to see if there was a regulator inside LOL but then thought more clearly and decided taking a cutting tool to a battery is not such a smart idea LOL. Ok so here is my bone to pick with them…they say they are regulated at 3.6 volts I say my findings and steeljans’s say that’s BS. Even in the email I sent to smokeless image I asked “what is so new about these batteries?” and they replied with this in the email.
1) Our batteries are different in the following way:
They have a rubber coating
they have a newer switch which is instantly activated. (no primer puffs are required with our batts and carto combos)
The switch is not activated by movement or sound
The batteries do not have a drop off they stay at a consistent 3.6 volts from first puff to last.
65mm batts have 220 mah
78mm batts have 320 mah

So some of that is true, the rubberized coating and if you watch steeljans video their auto’s don’t seem to activate with sound or wind. I cant speak to the primer puff as I have not used and auto since the M40x days. But the Volt doesn’t require a “primmer puff” although nether did the manual V4L or MVS battery. But the part about being regulated is just BS and it preformed just like any other KR808d-1 battery. And before anyone jumps in and says “ya but steelJan’s and your test was not under load”. That makes NO difference! First of all the ohm meter is putting some load on it when it tests the voltage and secondly and more importantly that makes not difference no matter what the load is if it was TRULY regulated at 3.6 volts the voltage reading would never go above 3.6 volts. And clearly it does. And PLEASE….PLEASE no one say “well when they say regulated, they are talking about a booster regulator so as the battery runs down it still stays at around 3.6 volt” That’s is NOT true. They don’t make a booster small enough to fit in a mini e cig. And those are not cheap the only mod’s using them really are the darwin and the provari(yes I know there are others LOL). Not only are they not small enough to fit in a mini they wouldn’t be able to sell the batteries for $12 LOL. SO IMO the only difference is a rubberized coating and a better micro switch inside so they are not activated by sound and wind. An improvement for sure but can we stop talking about how they are “regulated” because they are not. And before all you Leaford lovers come in this thread yelling “but….but…but…the Bloog’s are different” and we all know they are not. Until you get conformation from him what regulator he is using and get me a manufacturer and a part number so I can look at the spec sheet on it. I don’t even want to hear from all you peeps with affiliate codes(you know who you are) peddling Bloog MF for pay checks.

So anyways that’s the good, the bad and the ugly of my review I know it was long and I hope you enjoyed and maybe learned something. PEACE!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread