Forum redesign your ideas please! (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

535cheetah

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Fenton, michigan
im new here ... and really like this community already, v bulletin is great you just have to get rid of ENOM, INC. and get a diff server... also one suggestion you can at least check out for the chat room .... is chatango . com its free to put on any website, and i dont think it would suck up any of the server. a few websites i go to use this and once you logged in i can go to each of the websites and chat right away because im logged in at chatango.

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
Is this still alive ?

I would like to see a separate category for doctors and scientists to talk about their experiences,. thoughts and science surrounding e-cigs.

Seconded : 'The Laboratory' as suggested by DVap,
from my (selfish) point of usage : sort of an scientific/more-practical version of 'Experiments with Equipment'/DIY juices'
Maybe that's not quite what SheerLuckHolmes meant but it'd overlap a bit.

Also would it be possible to have more than 20 pages of 'Todays Posts',
this place move so fast I'm losing some 'overview' even visiting every day at least once.

Would it be possible to give 'forum bonus points' of some kind to thread owners
who update their original post with a 'highlights' list of named links to within
a long thread so that new readers can get to the guts of the information?
Thinking about those threads that start specific, but end up meandering all over the place.

Is there anyone who's got time to make a general 'Ultimate ECF Links' sticky,
to direct new (or otherwise) members to important or note-worthy topics/threads.
Possibly entries would have to be 'passed' by some sort of review.
(I know the answer is no, so no biggie)

frankie1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
Florida
I think it would be helpful to many if there were a required reading section that explained HOW to use the forum. Believe it...many don't really know. Instructions about the layout, search function, etc. might reduce the number of repeat questions. I also think it would be advantageous for new members to be made aware of the way a discussion can be buried and one might not know it is there.

Example: I was just waiting on an opportunity to purchase a particular mod, but it was not available. While I was waiting, I was perusing the forum and came across a dispute between the buyer and seller. I followed the conversation and decided that I would not purchase that mod. Luckily this dispute happened at the opportune moment for me because all reference to it was deleted in the supplier forum and the related thread that was posted on the main forum is now obscurely buried on page 4 of the Outside forum. The information has been effectively rendered useless. If I were looking at the product right now, I would buy it never aware until it was too late what I would be dealing with. A warning to the new member might avoid this unpleasantness. While a seller may indeed change his/her method of doing business, it is highly unlikely he will do so if the dissenting information is buried in a few days and his business is not adversely affected. A simple education in how the forum works and how quickly relevant information is buried would be in the best interest of the new member and would alleviate any need for the forum owner/administrator to get involved in the situation.

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
Supplier subforums should NOT be moderated by the supplier. I have no problem with the supplier "overseeing" their subforum and tagging posts for the overall forum moderators to make a final judgement call. But, frankly, leaving suppliers moderate their own forums leads to one thing and one thing only; one-sided, supplier friendly views/opinions being presented. Anyone who doubts this can peruse over to the TECC/TW subforum and view the multiple,multiple supplier thread deletions/appendments. Supplier subforums are the #1 source of information about the supplier on the forum. Allowing a supplier to moderate, in effect, their own consumer feedback, is like allowing the wolf to guard the henhouse. Most suppliers are excellent and fair, but, this is a business , and profit motivation can lead even the most ethical supplier to lose objectivity from time to time.

miketr

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Southern Illinois (rural area)
I would like the user profile to have optional dropdowns of the equipment the user owns. Supplier/Brand or model, and the ability to associate multiple eCig types with a user. I would also like the user posts to allow them to optionally select from their list of eCigs indicating which one the post is related to. And I would like the forum searches to be able to use these selections as criteria.
Naturally, not everyone would use this, but for those who do, I think it would help with learning and researching on the forums.

mudmanc4

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2009
In The Plex
kb.lime-it.us
The implementation of a reputation mod , ie! "Thank / Karma " especially for the supplier.

I know this can be something trolls like to get the neg rep, but at a glance, if a use has an issue with another, they can implement the "ignore " function".

There's already quite a bit of user initiated flattery, but you wont get the real idea of a long term idea of the supplier unless you read there thread. Of course they would not last long here if they were ripping people off.

Krakkan

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
New Orleans, LA
www.truesmoker.com
Supplier subforums should NOT be moderated by the supplier. I have no problem with the supplier "overseeing" their subforum and tagging posts for the overall forum moderators to make a final judgement call. But, frankly, leaving suppliers moderate their own forums leads to one thing and one thing only; one-sided, supplier friendly views/opinions being presented. Anyone who doubts this can peruse over to the TECC/TW subforum and view the multiple,multiple supplier thread deletions/appendments. Supplier subforums are the #1 source of information about the supplier on the forum. Allowing a supplier to moderate, in effect, their own consumer feedback, is like allowing the wolf to guard the henhouse. Most suppliers are excellent and fair, but, this is a business , and profit motivation can lead even the most ethical supplier to lose objectivity from time to time.

As a supplier I object to this not because I ever delete a negative thread "Never Have seems smarter to resolve the problem publicly if that is how customer approached it" but because I like to keep my subforum clean as we run specials etc and need the ability to delete posts when specials are done.

Maybe allow suppliers to delete their own posts in their forum but not others? But either way you always get some disgruntled psycho customer that could easily try to ruin your image no matter how well you treat them. I have had my share of great customers but with every 500 great you will get 1 loony. They are usually just there to try to make you give them something for free or has some other arterial motives to smear/aggravate you.

I think if a supplier is obviously trying to cover some bad business policies up people will take notice no matter what they do.

Just my 2 cents.

JD

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
How about listing in order of seniority?
I understand randomizing... but the list has tripled in length in the short time I have been a member, and the similarity in names leads to even more confusion.
I don't want to buy from the supplier who just found the e-cig and got a great deal on 50 from China so now he is a supplier and mixing juice in his neighbor's garage.
At least post a "Supplier Since" date. But I think it would be fair to list in order of their supplier status on your site. They earn it and we benefit from it.

umop apisdn

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
How about listing in order of seniority?
I understand randomizing... but the list has tripled in length in the short time I have been a member, and the similarity in names leads to even more confusion.
I don't want to buy from the supplier who just found the e-cig and got a great deal on 50 from China so now he is a supplier and mixing juice in his neighbor's garage.
At least post a "Supplier Since" date. But I think it would be fair to list in order of their supplier status on your site. They earn it and we benefit from it.

Great idea!

For my own input: I'd love to see the suppliers' forum list condensed so that it doesn't take up so much of the front page.

Kattdaddy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I am fairly new to this forum .. and I have to say that the people on this for have been nothing but royal pains..... Just joking... Everyone here has bent over backwards to help in every way.. and I try to emulate that with equal respect.
The main priorities I see that would help ..
1. the pop-up menu for one may seems to be a good way to maintain a clean face for screen appearance.. but I would like theoption to not take that away.. fair for every one who is use to that.. but I would like an option button.. that would allow me to have a fixed box style arrangement of the forum sections and be able to place that box and re-size that box to my liking.
2. A little bit of reorganization on the aforesaid menu ... there is a lot of overlap.. and various discussion forums that are dead wood. Might as well light those on fire and save some matches..

3. I would also like to see a rating system based on vendors and sponsored suppliers in the buy/sel/trade section that reflects point average scores for quality of product/service/and positive/negative feedback loops where customers can chime in on their ultimate suppliers and give them a good-game. / or of course, hate to put a frown on there face .. but, some suppliers do deserve a little slap in the face from time to time. I believe this loop serves the same principle as tipping your server at a restaurant.. I will give him exactly what he/she is worth every time.. because after all/ TIP does stand for To Insure Proper Service. of course, rules still apply.. clean, simple, calmly, and unprofane explainations only.. in full detail of the mishap as compared to the intentions of the transaction.

4. I would recommend a better refresh rate. A lot of the times.. you can site at the general discussion forum screen for ever and a day.. haven't clicked anywhere or been away from the computer for twenty minutes.. and next thing I know .. same lines and everything there.. nothing has moved.. then, I click the todays post button or even the general in the pop-up.. and bam... seems like every single post for the past twenty or thirty minutes floods the screen. I would rather have a mehtod for a user setable refresh rate.. that can either react by the amount of time passed or amount of post added. This feature should only apply to main screens.. I f I am in a thread, or a direct forum, pm'ing.. you get the picture.. no need.

5. I would also like the option to make all the sub categories in the pop-up frame menu for the forum main collapsible. therefore, I can go through and subsidize into the main screen that I want and use all the time.. while the one I don't need all the time can be minimized to the main header.. and stay the H&%& out of my way. I just hate clutter while trying to read a large jumblee of words crammed together.. a great deal of which only comprise 30 to 40 percent of the overall forum... the rest , are for special interest!!! Believe me .. we all take part in our special interest of this product... the cats and subs in this forum are a great approach to get involved. But after a mointh of looking around ... we all figure out the little ins and outs... and time we jump in and times we play around and get that stuff off our minds from time to time. I would like to make it dissappear temporarily just to help me focus .. half the time on the particular areas I am working on at the time.

6. Lastly, I would like to see increased availabilty of member info with in the individual post. It would be nice to have drop downs or individual info. box with info about each member.. that automatically goes into each member post. This would especially be helpfull to organize all that members info into one spot at the top of the post every time.
It would be helpfull to have a couple mandatory section and optional sections. The first questions i have for any member that is looking for hlp from me is..
Are you using what device.. what kind of battery- auto or manual..
are you a dripper or sealed cart, cartomizer, bat MOD, and so on and so on.. these would be great optional feilds to have at the top. When I am trying help folks.. they may have a long very detailed encounter of what happened to them... but most the time they don't even have an idea of what info we need to troubleshoot the situation. Their unit are mostly listed at the bottom of their screen.. but not always for a newbies case. To have that at the top would save us a lot of time to just be able to look directly there from the get go.
bTW:: Ask the experts is a great I dea ... but simplifying the idea behind the name would be a lot easier. If you made it a direct phrase to associate the problem you are addressing.. that would help both the noobs looking for help and the seasoned but baffled first to have any trouble at all.. I would simply coin the phrase.... HELP/Troubleshooting....

Maybe even talk to your moberators or suppliers to get one or two knowledgeable individuals for every type of unit on the market... that is every different type. of course the alike ones.. all you would need is a set to literally covers each whole line. You might even have a couple gurus of the juice... for the DIY section ... That can take questions for newbies and individuals that have concentration of nicotine question, common sense average mean equations based on several different levels of nic mixed together.. A long list for juice related questions outside of best vendor, best juice, and why use VG versus PG or glycerine, or doublers.. some just plain stup... but there isn't really a stupid question when you are essentially try to better someone health.

Anyway.. I am sure you are tired of hear these points and some may be a little more personal than anything .. but I have heard a lot of good observations .. and hope any of our input has helped.

Thanks,

Tom

SwaggTech

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
Mcdonough, Ga (S. ATL)
I believe that ECF should be more of a community, like when I first got here. In a month and a half I've noticed intense ads, donation lobbying, and flaming people for giving input and ideas, be it good or bad. The purpose of a forum is for everyone to gather around a central topic. Stop policing people! If I want to say F- this or D- that I should be able to, aren't our products strictly 18+? I would like to be free to post my opinion without the fear of being banned.

So mods, keep in mind that at this point people are joining this forum because of past popularity, but once they spend time here they soon learn of the plenty of other forums that allow you to be yourself, and don't put profits over community.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Hi.

Just thought I'd drop by and comment on your input.

We need all ideas, even those that don't eventually make it. But I reckon you need to sit back and listen to what you're saying. This is a friendly community where people of all kinds, all ages, all backgrounds want to discuss a topic and socialize without rudeness or argument. There's no way we're going to allow 4-letter words or insults here. No way.

Would you walk into your local library or police station or corner shop or school and use that kind of language to the people in there? No chance. If you did, you'd find yourself with problems, sooner or later. You sure wouldn't be welcome. You're maybe talking about a gym or a pool club.

I think we probably disagree on the type of community that you perceive this to be. We need your participation but it should be based on common politeness and good manners. Don't risk hurting or offending people in any way, why would you want to do that? Take it easy guy, there's all types of folks here and they aren't all 20-year old boxers.

SwaggTech

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
Mcdonough, Ga (S. ATL)
  • Deleted by ZambucaLu
  • Reason: unnecessary insults

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
I would like to see more chat rooms with ecigs as the topic. It is amazing who you can meet on there. Seems like the only clean chat you can find on the internet anymore but people don't seem really interested in it. I have only been using ecigs for 2 months but I have gotten a hell of an education about them by searching around the internet. I am now the proud owner of 808s 901s 510s several different types of juice polyfill the know how to clean the atomizers syringes for refilling mixing knowledge and more. I simply love these things. I used to smoke 2 packs a day and now I am down to 10 smokes a day but I am vaping constantly. I have found what I consider the best places to get what I want and have discovered that the people that run these sites are very nice to deal with and very knowledgable about what they sell. I may have gone overboard on ecigs but I think they are the best things since canned beer. I am 59 years old but not too old to learn new tricks. I think this forum would be great if it was not use as a place to solicite your own sales. I think I know what you mean.

316lvm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2009
southern minnesota
I love the forum, but I think it needs to be organized a little better. I'm forever scrolling through the forums looking for information. I was especially taxing when I first joined.

Some suggestions:

Under the category of E-Cigs:
Instead of the following sub-groups I would like to see main topics.

Example:

Announcements
Rules

E-Cig Discussion

New Members Forum: This is the place for new members
to ask questions and find answers.
Please read rules/sticky before posting.
Rules:
Sticky:
Guide to E-cigs:
Models
Juice
Accessories

General Discussion Forum
Rules:
Sticky:

Experiences:
Social Vapping:
Reviews:
Suppliers:
Juice:
Models:
Misc:

How To or Tips and Tricks Forum
Models
Juice
Attys
Batts
Misc.

Modders Forum:

Ask The Experts Fourm:

Archives: This is the place where dead
threads go.

It would also be helpful if the suppliers section just listed a heading of
SUPPLIERS and then a drop down list of suppliers that people can click on to go to that specific supplier.

Just my $.02

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread