Forum redesign your ideas please! (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
Is it possible to allow a longer (or indefinite) time for thread originators
to be able to edit their original post ??

Seems a bit ridiculous that they can't add info to the first post in the thread,
not even to add links into the thread to the main info-containing posts,
and so would have to rely on moderator charity to update it
(although that's highly appreciated :))

It's definitely a case of loads of good info gets buried in here,
since the only way to add new info is in a new post which gets scrolled
into obsurity in long thread that gets 'rambled', and effectively dissapears.

Hello....tap..tap... is this on ?

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Some good ideas, OK. Have to see if some of those are possible. I like that one on slickdeals. Not sure if it's the same forum software though.

Edit time - at the moment it's 2 days I think. Unfortunately, in my view, that's waaaay too long. 20 minutes is nearer the mark. Why? Because threads can get wrecked otherwise. Not everybody is sane, sober and intelligent all the time, is why :)

But this brings up a useful point though - how to get Mods to update your post for you easily. Now THAT is something worth thinking about - definitely.

Maybe a button or something, I don't know. Then you enter what you want changed, your username, the post URL, and they do it if they can.

And the Thanks button if it's a simple plugin like NG says.

Starlight

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2009
UK
Edit time - at the moment it's 2 days I think. Unfortunately, in my view, that's waaaay too long. 20 minutes is nearer the mark.
I think, but am not 100% sure (and haven't time I'm afraid to try to search for it, sorry!) that this was discussed once before many months ago, and resulted in the "edit" feature being extended?

That aside, I have another "idea" please :). Polls... would it be possible to put all polls in one forum dedicated just for polls? Then people can look through them and see if a similar or identical one has already been recently posted instead of either starting yet another similar or identical one a week or two later, or instead of having to go pages and pages of other topics to check if another similar or identical one has already been posted?

I know some polls become outdated due to newer things coming along and to people changing their minds and so on (in which case those polls should get closed) so it's a good idea to start a fresh one, but not when it's the same poll as another one which has been posted relatively recently or is the same poll as an older one on a subject where people's opinions won't change as it's not based on newer things.

I'm not sure I'm phrasing myself properly, so I hope you'll understand what I mean...

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
Sane - maybe, sober - unlikely.

Perhaps it'd be possible to restrict long-term editing to just the original
post in a thread ? Would help a lot I reckon.

A 'mod-update-this-please' button would be significantly different to PMing a mod for an update ?

Polls all in one place is a good idea, you'd probably get a much bigger vote count if they were,
which would be very good for the more 'serious' polls.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
As a noob, I'm finding it very hard to locate the threads I want. I had to try three times to come up with a search word to get back to this one. (I'd put this in the Announcements subforum, by the way. It's a good place for all the administrative stuff.)

Either in the General E-Smoking or the Electronics Reviews subforum I'd find it very helpful if there were three categories - e-cigs, juice and accessories (PCCs, different types of chargers, cases, etc.)

This forum is a great resource (thank you), but it obviously grew very fast, making it somewhat confusing. I look forward to the redesign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread