The next 10 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Hi all,

As many of you know I'm currently making some changes to ECF as we approach our 10 year anniversary.

The main one we're working on right now is principally aesthetic - putting into place a new theme that's modern and fresh.

But, I'm also aware that the forum needs more of a structural change....

ECF is many things. It's chronical of the last 10 years of vaping, it's a user guide to new vapers, there's reviews, commerce, all kinds of things, but above all it's the vaping mother community.

ECF has grown somewhat organically over the years. We've tried out lots of things at the request of the community. Some things have been retired, others, forums created, stickies put up, etc etc. For members who spend time here and learn how it's organised, it makes sense. But for people joining up, or just looking around, it's overwhelming.

One thing I've just done is to install a new search system which is very, very good (albeit, with some bugs that need ironing but). But we've never really done a full-on audit of how the site works - never gone through how the whole forum can be run and organized better.

The world of vaping has matured. Our primary role, as a community, has always been in trying to arm new vapers with the knowledge they need to make a successful transition from smoking to vaping. That has to remain our core, and we need to do it better.

Our forum home has 600 "nodes" (forums, forum categories etc). This makes sense for a library - an index for every topic. But for a forum it's too much. We need to reduce this by 2/3. In the process, we can revamp certain areas and make things much more relevant to where vaping is today.

Also, there's incredible knowledge that's buried deep within. I know we occasionally consolidate this in stickies, and that many members find the stickies useful. but stickies are actually a really bad way of organizing information. Indeed, in ECF 2.0, I'd like to see a maximum of one sticky per forum.

There are other things we can do to make great content accessible, and I have some ideas (but I'm still working on them). They'll need your help... but if you're up for this then so am I.

So, with that said, I'd like to open it up to you? I appreciate change is difficult for some, but we do need it from time to time. Nothing I'm proposing here should in any way change the character and dynamic of the forum. Rather, it's a big project I want to start to make it all better. For the next 10 years and beyond!

Please leave your thoughts below, and don't be afraid to think big!

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
It's not really about the historical stuff - that will always be here for anyone that's interested. It's much more about how we organise the forum NOW for contemporary needs.

My thought was to "file" the older (historical) stuff away to reduce the overwhelming size of the relevant/contemporary forum categories.

Reactions: FlamingoTutu

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Oliver, I think there's some stuff that's fairly easy to consolidate-- like does ejuice and DIY e-juice need its own forum? Could some of the RTA/RTDA/coilbuilding stuff be combined? I'm not necessarily sure that this would make navigation *easier* though in some ways it might, but I'm thinking more about cross-pollination of ideas, e.g. juice finders becoming more interested in DIY, that type of thing. I wonder if there'd also be a way (if search is going to be improved) to filter those posts out at the top of each forum, like if someone is only interested in storebought liquid, they could search and retrieve posts only concerning e-juice.

IDK, though this is kind of difficult. I was totally confused by all the various options when I was new (and finding forums) but part of it was due to lack of knowledge, starting out, as well.

I'd have found it really useful (personally) after I joined, to be redirected to a "New member's information" page, where relevant stickies to navigating the site, site rules, and some general info on vaping, etc., might have been really helpful. Brother bob does an awesome job in the new member's forum offering up some great links consistently, but especially the forum rules weren't super visible to me (I know now they were above in New Member's Info, I believe) but I had to break a rule and get censured for it, before I realized to find and read the rules, etc. I think some stuff could be made a bit more idiot proof (I'm your idiot) and etc. I don't know how plausible/relevant these things are, but I do think there are forums and subforums that could be combined.... Etc.

Just some random thoughts, and thanks for your enthusiasm on the upgrade. I really do think it's a fine idea and I'm glad you are going for it (and soliciting advice, LOL) though feel free not to use mine, they are just kinda random thoughts....

Anna

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Maybe this isnt the thread for it, but would you be open to some honest feedback about some of the things that some of us feel didnt work? I am not talking about a bash session, at least that isnt the way i would approach it.

Maybe a new thread for it, where we can be open, honest, and respectful without fear of being *moved on*.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oliver, I think there's some stuff that's fairly easy to consolidate-- like does ejuice and DIY e-juice need its own forum? Could some of the RTA/RTDA/coilbuilding stuff be combined? I'm not necessarily sure that this would make navigation *easier* though in some ways it might, but I'm thinking more about cross-pollination of ideas, e.g. juice finders becoming more interested in DIY, that type of thing. I wonder if there'd also be a way (if search is going to be improved) to filter those posts out at the top of each forum, like if someone is only interested in storebought liquid, they could search and retrieve posts only concerning e-juice.

IDK, though this is kind of difficult. I was totally confused by all the various options when I was new (and finding forums) but part of it was due to lack of knowledge, starting out, as well.

I'd have found it really useful (personally) after I joined, to be redirected to a "New member's information" page, where relevant stickies to navigating the site, site rules, and some general info on vaping, etc., might have been really helpful. Brother bob does an awesome job in the new member's forum offering up some great links consistently, but especially the forum rules weren't super visible to me (I know now they were above in New Member's Info, I believe) but I had to break a rule and get censured for it, before I realized to find and read the rules, etc. I think some stuff could be made a bit more idiot proof (I'm your idiot) and etc. I don't know how plausible/relevant these things are, but I do think there are forums and subforums that could be combined.... Etc.

Just some random thoughts, and thanks for your enthusiasm on the upgrade. I really do think it's a fine idea and I'm glad you are going for it (and soliciting advice, LOL) though feel free not to use mine, they are just kinda random thoughts....

Anna
Maybe a full blown Wiki like FAQ section, that members could contribute to. Something that coule be flexible enough to evolve as the tech evolves.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Our forum home has 600 "nodes" (forums, forum categories etc). This makes sense for a library - an index for every topic. But for a forum it's too much. We need to reduce this by 2/3. In the process, we can revamp certain areas and make things much more relevant to where vaping is today.
The search function can be very powerful aid. If there was a way of listing results in order of importance such as:
#1 Forums existing
#2 Stickies
#4 Library
#5 ECF Vendor information
{existing internal ECF library information}
#3 Then, chit chat member comments.

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
Our forum home has 600 "nodes" (forums, forum categories etc). This makes sense for a library - an index for every topic. But for a forum it's too much. We need to reduce this by 2/3.

Is this simply for ease of use or do you also hope to streamline database indexes?

Oliver

Admin
Verified Member
Maybe this isnt the thread for it, but would you be open to some honest feedback about some of the things that some of us feel didnt work? I am not talking about a bash session, at least that isnt the way i would approach it.

Maybe a new thread for it, where we can be open, honest, and respectful without fear of being *moved on*.
Yup, we can do that - but maybe as a group conversation?

Oliver

Admin
Verified Member
Maybe a full blown Wiki like FAQ section, that members could contribute to. Something that coule be flexible enough to evolve as the tech evolves.
Yup, I'm thinking something along these lines

Oliver

Admin
Verified Member
The search function can be very powerful aid. If there was a way of listing results in order of importance such as:
#1 Forums existing
#2 Stickies
#4 Library
#5 ECF Vendor information
{existing internal ECF library information}
#3 Then, chit chat member comments.

Hmmn, no, I don't think it can be done this way, unfortunately - BUT, there are other things we can do.

Oliver

Admin
Verified Member

Anna

Brilliant stuff, thanks!

"onboarding" - definitely something I want to do.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Stickies - Can we please have the stickie back for the holiday sales, at least when they come around? We have Halloween, Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Christmas, New Year, etc. coming up and for some on a limited income, they are vital to our vaping.

@stols001 - DIY & ejuice commingling would be a disaster if they are anything like they used to be. Haven't been to the DIY in a while so not speaking with current authority. :oops:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Leftandsparky, I think that's a great idea, given the amount of new gear it would maybe need to be broken up into different parts, with a member willing to maintain that area (tube mods, mech mods, squonkers, DNA mods, etc.) That is a TON of information, it would be doable and something great to have, but it would probably require some maintenance-- esp if we include clones???

Just a thought....

Anna

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Yup, we can do that - but maybe as a group conversation?
Agreed, that would be a better venue, this needs to be constructive, not a free-4-all. And it can wait until you have gotten past some of your current challenges. You got your hands full from what I can see.

You have done a good thing here, we live, we learn, we grow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread