Status
Not open for further replies.

crunchie812

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2014
Key Largo, FL USA
I use the VT Inbox bottle but I take stock tubing and slide 2 2x3mm o-rings onto the tube and slide them up near the top. They seal the tubing to the inside diameter of the bottle neck and it's airtight. Refilling is easy too, the tube pops right out. I've been using them this way for well over a month now with no issues at all, and no switch interference. If you want it to look prettier, you can put the stainless steel cap from the crappy stock frankie bottle on top. It just sits there really, but it hides the top of the bottle and o-rings.
I found 2 o-rings that fit. OK, it works. I also put 2 grommets, the ego battery insulators, on the top of the tube, one holds the tube on a bit tighter and the other stops the top o-ring from sliding up. Works as well as the SSIB and much cheaper.

Reactions: jazzguy

crunchie812

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2014
Key Largo, FL USA
I found 2 o-rings that fit. OK, it works. I also put 2 grommets, the ego battery insulators, on the top of the tube, one holds the tube on a bit tighter and the other stops the top o-ring from sliding up. Works as well as the SSIB and much cheaper.
The o-rings I used are 9/32"OD x 5/32"ID from the local TruValue hardware store.

crunchie812

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2014
Key Largo, FL USA
Has anyone purchased the 2 tone ones from fasttech?

Thinking about getting one, is there any difference between the 2 tone ones or the original full colored ones?

Apart from the color obviously.

TIA
No. You can buy two different color mods and switch the doors. The only difference is the PC models are painted with a textured paint over white PC, except for the white, which is smooth bare PC. The ABS models are also not painted.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
New "tea" flavor Frankie. :) Several other transparent colors too.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/7496300

Screenshot 2017-04-21 at 11.17.30 AM.png

Rathamar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Mound - Minnesota, USA

crunchie812

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2014
Key Largo, FL USA
New "tea" flavor Frankie. :) Several other transparent colors too.
Couldn't help myself, I ordered the blue along with a blue Velocity deck Derringer.:)
V3? Heat insulated? I'm guessing they put a better insulator in the 510 to accommodate people who like to build @ .05ohms. Hopefully it will raise the positive pin up to standard height so most attys will work without fiddling.
I bet they still have the same crappy hard plastic bottle. If they'd just use the same plastic as HCigar, Kanger, and Eleaf it would work like a charm. Personally, I like the HCigar bottles with the O-rings even better than the SuperSoft bottles.

Reactions: TheWestPole

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Couldn't help myself, I ordered the blue along with a blue Velocity deck Derringer.:)
V3? Heat insulated? I'm guessing they put a better insulator in the 510 to accommodate people who like to build @ .05ohms. Hopefully it will raise the positive pin up to standard height so most attys will work without fiddling.
I bet they still have the same crappy hard plastic bottle. If they'd just use the same plastic as HCigar, Kanger, and Eleaf it would work like a charm. Personally, I like the HCigar bottles with the O-rings even better than the SuperSoft bottles.

Fair guesses. The top surface of the 510 is definitely different on the V3. Since you have more than one, we'll look forward to a detailed comparison.

My black one is painted. The marbled "resin gray" one just came in yesterday. It's a different feel and looser door fit without the paint texture and thickness. Haven't used it yet and don't know what I think of it yet.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
"Resin Gray" Frankie arrived yesterday. Did standard Frankie prep (bring 510 pin into spec with a small o-ring, smooth out the machine marks on the firing button, replace the bottle) and it's working just like my black one.

One thing: with these unpainted colors sans the extra paint thickness, the doors don't fit as snugly and shift a bit more. By the same token the finish is smooth and doesn't have the same grip. No biggie, just FYI.

Also, the color is not a neutral gray like these pics, more a putty color with a slight brown-green tint.

IMAG2578_picmonkeyed.jpg
IMAG2576_picmonkeyed.jpg

Last edited:

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I got my FT Clone Frakie (I call it my Frankenberry) yesterday. After a day of fighting with the leaky bottle I tried the grommet trick and that seems to have fixed the issue. Has anyone tried the basic old school REO standard bottles in one? I have like 100 of the things kicking around and was considering swapping it out.

BTW if any of you have one of the original Kanger Drip boxes the atty that comes with the Farnkenskull clone works beautifully with its over long 510 connection. Nice replacement for the spit hot juice in your face mess atty the dripbox came with.

Last edited:
Reactions: EddieAdams

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
Guys my frankenclone has started a really odd behavior. It fires beautifully until I put a bottle in it (bottle that came with it) then it will not fire.

I do not see anywhere the bottle could be shorting out on the big L shaped strip. HELP
It's still making contact? The bottle not preventing it.
Is the positive contact touching the metal bottle cap when pressed? Possibly touching the battery as well
Is the 510 assembly screwed together tight? If it loosened up the positive pin could be making contact with negative walls in the 510

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Myrany

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
It's still making contact? The bottle not preventing it.
Is the positive contact touching the metal bottle cap when pressed? Possibly touching the battery as well
Is the 510 assembly screwed together tight? If it loosened up the positive pin could be making contact with negative walls in the 510

The L shaped metal (I assume that is the positive contact) is not touching the bottle cap and is making good enough contact with the side of the 510 well enough to hear an audible metal on metal click. I am going to put a bit of electrical tape on it at bottle cap level to be certain it cannot make contact.

As for loosening up the positive pin. Everything seems tight but I honestly know nothing about how these are installed in there.

I just don't get it. The thing was firing beautifully for a few days and I was really enjoying it and now it is a mess. LOL. Spent nearly 3 hours last night mucking with it trying to get it to work.

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
make sure the 510 pin is tight and making proper contact with atty, as that is a potential short risk, if the switch arrangement is making full contact then check the contact points between the switch and 510, if your running low resistance builds you may have ended up with a little carbon buildup at those spots.

The thing is dirt simple, just a few points of contact you need to make sure stay clean and in the proper physical shape to work properly.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Well if all those check out then possibly your atty isn't making contact.....

actually this is going to sound really odd but I got it fixed. After fighting with the thing hours last night and a couple of hours today. I pulled the battery out and went and took a nap (my reaction to utter frustration). When I came back to it I somehow put one of my Sony batterys in it instead of the Samsung I had been using. Dang (not the word I want to use) thing fires EVERY TIME with the Sony. Won't fire with the Samsung and the bottle in. Are the sonys slightly skinnier?

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
also if you think the bottle is causing some interference try firing it with the bottle out.
With the samsungs it fired with the bottle out only. With the Sonys it fires either way. Go figure. time to buy more Sonys I guess. I had planned to slowly move up to the 25 amp ones anyways.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Battery just isn't making contact on one end or the other then

why would the samsungs fire with the bottle out but not with it in then? That is what didn't make sense to me. I feel like a complete idiot at this point when it comes to this. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread